Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM

389 posts, read 662,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
And to answer someone else's question, I am looking to rent an apartment for at least a year so that I can get myself acquainted with the area before I even think about buying.
A very prudent strategy with any move, but especially a move to South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 PM

142 posts, read 131,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
What is your budget?
$1500 max

Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
$1500 max
I don't know about apartments, but pricing/quality was a bit of a shocker for me when I moved there, so factor this into the job offer if you accept.

I think that price was in line with what my family member was paying in Pembroke Pines, one of my friends was paying close to 3K for a small 1 bed condo (Downtown Miami) and I was paying close to that for a house in Cutler Bay.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
I don't know about apartments, but pricing/quality was a bit of a shocker for me when I moved there, so factor this into the job offer if you accept.

I think that price was in line with what my family member was paying in Pembroke Pines, one of my friends was paying close to 3K for a small 1 bed condo (Downtown Miami) and I was paying close to that for a house in Cutler Bay.
Oh definitely taking into account a 23% cost of living increase between salary here and there. For sure. I have a bottom line salary difference with them; completely aware. For comparison, my max budget in the city where I reside right now is $800 lol. I currently pay $640 for my 650 sq ft 1 bedroom. I know I'll be paying 2.5x more in South Fl for the same thing ... I'm prepared.

I would never pay 3k for anything, anywhere. Hence why I'm not moving to NYC or San Fran (huge players in my industry). And hence why I'm not trying to rent a beach front condo in some destination area or anything like that.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
$1500 is definitely doable in Pines. For example: Marquesa Apartment Homes

Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
By the way, if you don't know. On your computer, you can get average commute times on Google Maps. Just get directions from an area you are considering living in to your work address. You can then adjust the "Depart at" time to any day/time you want and Google will give you an estimated commute for that specific time/day.
So I did do this, and Google Maps is giving the East Young Circle apartment address in Hollywood 28 min - 1 hour typical, and the Pembroke Pines location a 20-50 min typical. Not THAT much different really.

We've talked a lot about Pembroke and I am going to check it out, but what is the demographic like in Hollywood? I have all day this Sunday and most of Monday afternoon to check these areas out.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 PM

Honestly, Google Maps seems to be favoring places like Hollywood and Davie and those highways over I-75. The Pembroke Pines location (the Marques apt link up there) is 14 miles away, and 20-50 min in Maps. I'm looking at a complex in Davie (93711 State Road 84, Davie, FL 33312) and Maps has that at 20 miles, 28-50 min (im putting in to get to work on any given weekday at 9:00am). Hmmm. Maybe Fort Lauderdale-ish area isn't so far-fetched after all. I can handle an extra 10 min.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Well, I guess we will have the real test here soon. I purposely booked my hotel out near roundabout desired areas, so I'm staying in Dania Beach, and will be getting to my 9:30am meeting with the boss on Monday. Google Maps says that one is 18 miles, 24-45 min. Curious to see which end of that spectrum it actually comes out to be ...

Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Young Circle is up and coming. It's an area that was VERY depressed for a long time and is being gentrified and improved. It's "ok" but the neighborhoods immediately surrounding it are not good at all. When I say surrounding, I mean 100 ft away from Young Circle/Downtown Hollywood. Personally, I lived right off 20th for years when I was young and broke, and I would have no desire to go back to that area yet. The grocery stores, gas stations, etc, you are going to see a lot of undesirable people and probably won't feel very safe or comfortable.

The complex in Davie is right off the Turnpike which may not be bad. It's a younger crowd. If you noticed, you have multiple colleges a block away. So it's a college crowd. Good access to restaurants and highway to get wherever you want to go. A small amount of "white trash" in the area (sorry, I'm not PC) but overall I think you would find it comfortable. Nothing walking distance, though. But lots of bars, restaurants, and places to go out. Popular country western night club not too far (if you are in to that). May be a good fit. If it's the complex I'm thinking of, it might be that brand new one.

If you are curious about an overall "feel" of the areas, Dania beach and the eastern areas will feel older. Other than a few new shopping centers and remodeled places, a lot of the shopping and buildings will feel older. More character but not necessarily in a good way... but not bad. Out west like Pines, more cookie cutter, McMansion type feel. The area in Davie you are looking is a little mixed as the apartment complexes are brand new but the surrounding area like the Publix there feels like it needs a facelift.

Drive and drive. Visit the areas you are considering, tour some apartment complexes, etc. See what gives you the best "feel".

Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Very helpful as always BNBR!

Though all those areas mentioned are closer to Fort Lauderdale, I'm still feeling like Pines is probably more my scene (I don't care much about walking to anything - I like my car and I like to drive). I just like clean and up and coming. I will definitely drive and drive while I'm there. And my aunt is a flight attendant and she flies into Miami all the time and knows of an extended stay that the commuters use while in town, so something like that will probably be what I do when I move down, as opposed to jumping into a lease in an area willy nilly.

So much exploration and exciting times ahead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area