Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Wilton Manors is where my friend lives. And she wants to move to Las Olas. It seems pretty far from Hialeah though? I threw it into maps and it looked like a 40 min hike or so. So I've been thinking somewhere in between there. Pembroke seems pretty far inland. I'm thinking East Hollywood may be where I start looking. Unless there are any other opinions
When you estimate your commuting minutes--are you factoring in traffic? If you will be commuting during the average rush hour times, you should really add the traffic to the commute time. Hialeah is a mess during rush hour. (As is 95 and the Las Olas area). Turnpike is probably the least heavy traffic due to the tolls.

I would say FTL to Hialeah would be more than 40 minutes if there is no traffic at all (or accidents) and it depends where in Hialeah it is. Otherwise, during rush hour, it would be at least an hour.

East Hollywood is also pretty congested heading west. In season--it is much worse. I did a commute from Keystone area (NE Miami to Las Olas)--maybe 25 miles on the map. My best time was 40 minutes--and in season, more like 1 hour and 15 minutes. Do not underestimate the traffic in the Miami/FTL area.

If you have flexible hours and can avoid rush hour, it isn't as bad. The heaviest traffic is headed south in the morning and north at night between certain hours. I estimated I was averaging 10 hours a week in traffic commuting, and the traffic is stressful, aggressive traffic. I've always liked driving and never minded commuting, but this one was pretty bad.

And you are right. Living in west Broward is pretty suburban and would be boring for a younger single person. So if you are young and energetic (and have a car you are really comfortable in), it might be worth the drive to live in a more fun area.

Also - there are a lot of jobs in FTL these days, so you might want to check out working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
By the way, while I'm here and have your attention, I am going to give my reason for moving to the area that my parents moved to FLL area to retire, and that I eventually wish to be down by them (most companies are curious as to why, and I am going to keep my true reasons to myself.) What part of FLL could I name drop that someone would reasonably go to retire? I don't know how to pronounce Las Olas lol
Honestly? Most companies don't really care why you are moving to Fla, as long as you aren't a fugitive on the lam.

Just tell them you wanted to relocate. Almost everyone in Fla is from somewhere else. Lots of people move here. There is nothing wrong with wanting to relocate.

If you start making up stories, a really interested interviewer may ask more detailed question.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:13 PM

142 posts, read 131,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Honestly? Most companies don't really care why you are moving to Fla, as long as you aren't a fugitive on the lam.

Just tell them you wanted to relocate. Almost everyone in Fla is from somewhere else. Lots of people move here. There is nothing wrong with wanting to relocate.

If you start making up stories, a really interested interviewer may ask more detailed question.
Thanks all. Let's forget the interviewing portion or forget I even mentioned that, as that is a separate discussion entirely and I will choose my own ways of how I do business lol. If you are super curious, the job in particular wanted local candidates only, so there is a bit more to it. But, I digress.

Soooo basically now you're saying East Hollywood is out? What would work, with a half hour tops commute (including traffic)? Should I look more in the Miami area? Ideally I'd like to be in Broward, but if there is a place for someone my age and relatively closer to the beach and not inland, I'd look at that. No, I don't want an hour commute. I'd be miserable. I can drive leisurely up there to see friends but not twice a day before and after work. No way.

And I'm aware there are jobs in FLL. I'm looking for a specific job and the job interview that I have and am extremely excited about is in Hialeah. For the record, I'm not moving to Florida just to come live in Florida. It's just as much about the job and salary for me, as I am an executive level professional. I just would IDEALLY like to live in FLL over Miami, as I have heard it's much better. But if that's not an option, so be it. The job is in Hialeah.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Well it looks likes the job is actually in Miami Lakes so Young Circle area is only 16 miles away. What about Aventura? What is it like there?

Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Wilton Manors is where my friend lives. And she wants to move to Las Olas. It seems pretty far from Hialeah though? I threw it into maps and it looked like a 40 min hike or so. So I've been thinking somewhere in between there. Pembroke seems pretty far inland. I'm thinking East Hollywood may be where I start looking. Unless there are any other opinions
Yes, its the furthest option for you. There just isn't much around Hialeah that is a 'fun' part of Broward.

Otherwise, move to Miami Beach. Its closer and can be a lot more fun than Las Olas area.

You're basically working very inland and wanting to live by the beach so figure at least 30 min commute or more no matter where you end up.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Life is too short for a long commute. Live close to work and then visit your friends who live elsewhere.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 AM

196 posts, read 159,041 times
What time of the day are you commuting? I am an airline manager, and work the early morning bank meaning I usually am at my desk around 5:30 AM at MIA. Because I usually leave from Lauderdale by the Sea around 3:30 AM, I hardly ever encounter any traffic going to work - but coming from work in the afternoon, I regularly hit a blockade on 95.

One of my employees actually does Jupiter to Miami every day, and several do West Palm Beach as well. So comparatively it is not as long...

Old 06-20-2017, 07:47 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
What time of the day are you commuting? I am an airline manager, and work the early morning bank meaning I usually am at my desk around 5:30 AM at MIA. Because I usually leave from Lauderdale by the Sea around 3:30 AM, I hardly ever encounter any traffic going to work - but coming from work in the afternoon, I regularly hit a blockade on 95.

One of my employees actually does Jupiter to Miami every day, and several do West Palm Beach as well. So comparatively it is not as long...
Good point!
The actual time of commute makes a huge difference.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM

This is going to be your typical 9-5 or 8:30-6 M-F day job.

I am flying down for an in person interview on Monday, and booked my hotel by the Fort Lauderdale airport to kinda get an idea right there.

I'm still thinking East Hollywood is looking doable, at roughly 16 miles from the zip code of the work building.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Life is too short for a long commute. Live close to work and then visit your friends who live elsewhere.
Truth, but from what I've read, I don't think I'll want to live in Hialeah. I don't speak a lick of spanish and am VERY blonde lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area