Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 06:13 AM

196 posts, read 158,931 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with you moving here from Boston as long as you stay out of the left lane if you refuse to speed. This isn't Boston, so don't drive like there are winter hazards and move out of the way for faster traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 06:35 AM

227 posts, read 247,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
I have no problem with you moving here from Boston as long as you stay out of the left lane if you refuse to speed. This isn't Boston, so don't drive like there are winter hazards and move out of the way for faster traffic
Why are you putting her in a stereotype? The people who drive like maniacs all have a FL license plate; you don't know where they are from. Everyday I'm astonished at the recklessness of people who drive here and get away with it. But you have no right telling her how to drive when no one in this area can drive safely.

OP, I'm also new to the area and people on and off of this forum have put me down because I moved here. It's a huge difference from where I was living, but I moved for an amazing job opportunity. So far, I have no complaints, except the COL.

I honestly don't know why I see so much negativity on the boards in South Florida. If you don't like it here and you are living here, then move. If you aren't living here and are just telling people how this area sucks, you're a troll. If you can't move, don't spread your negativity to others who are happy about their move here. Your life must be pretty pathetic if you have to take time out of your day to come on these boards just to put others down.

OP, props for standing up against the haters

Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickques View Post
I did a TON of research online as any internet savvy person would do before moving down here. I posted questions on here and other sites and settled on actually making the move!

I move through my company, keeping my job and my pay. I had the freedom to choose to live anywhere between coral springs to palmetto bay. I settled on Sunrise, FL based on price, crime stats, and commute to one of our offices.

and I LOVE IT. I'm so happy with my decision. I love Broward county, they have great beaches, parks, and events almost every weekend for the kiddies. I love the weather, theres 3 malls within 10-15 mins, every store I could need, and I've met some cool people so far. I also love my son's school, I've had no issues with them.

Part of it is just the fact that I am no longer in Boston, I hate being cold (I've ALWAYS hated it) , and Boston is pricey.

Anyways, I don't really have a question or anything, I just wanted to share for those that are considering a move, this is a success story so far for me!
I like Broward county too, but it was too expensive for me so I moved to Lee County in the Fort Myers area and I love it here.

I recommend that people travel or vacation to where they want to move before going there to see if you will like it.

My only regret is not moving to Florida in my 20's or 30s.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Why are you putting her in a stereotype? The people who drive like maniacs all have a FL license plate; you don't know where they are from. Everyday I'm astonished at the recklessness of people who drive here and get away with it. But you have no right telling her how to drive when no one in this area can drive safely.

OP, I'm also new to the area and people on and off of this forum have put me down because I moved here. It's a huge difference from where I was living, but I moved for an amazing job opportunity. So far, I have no complaints, except the COL.

I honestly don't know why I see so much negativity on the boards in South Florida. If you don't like it here and you are living here, then move. If you aren't living here and are just telling people how this area sucks, you're a troll. If you can't move, don't spread your negativity to others who are happy about their move here. Your life must be pretty pathetic if you have to take time out of your day to come on these boards just to put others down.

OP, props for standing up against the haters
I am not sure what Florida plates have to do with anything. Frankly, I don't care if a car has Vermont or Argentinian or Sudanese plates, just don't go slow in the fast lane and force people to pass on the right. Not yielding to faster traffic and forcing people to pass on the right here is reckless driving.

And yes, anyone who comes out and brags about moving here to south Florida will most likely get a very tepid and hostile response from residents. It's not just obnoxious, but nobody cares, because anyone who has lived here for longer than the honeymoon period has dozens of stories of delusional people that they have met moving here thinking it is a tropical paradise then subsequently running back to wherever they came from with their tale between their legs when they find out the realities of this region. Running around here shouting out that you just moved and are so excited is most likely not going to engender a positive response from people who have been here for longer than a few years.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:16 PM

29 posts, read 66,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
I am not sure what Florida plates have to do with anything. Frankly, I don't care if a car has Vermont or Argentinian or Sudanese plates, just don't go slow in the fast lane and force people to pass on the right. Not yielding to faster traffic and forcing people to pass on the right here is reckless driving.

And yes, anyone who comes out and brags about moving here to south Florida will most likely get a very tepid and hostile response from residents. It's not just obnoxious, but nobody cares, because anyone who has lived here for longer than the honeymoon period has dozens of stories of delusional people that they have met moving here thinking it is a tropical paradise then subsequently running back to wherever they came from with their tale between their legs when they find out the realities of this region. Running around here shouting out that you just moved and are so excited is most likely not going to engender a positive response from people who have been here for longer than a few years.
1. You're not sure what license plates have to do with anything, and im not sure what your comment had to do with anything. go post that on a post about driving and you'll be more on topic over that way.

2. I wasn't bragging, learn the difference between bragging and sharing an experience.

3. don't say nobody cares, because CD attracts, as if you didn't know, a bunch of people that are looking to make a change, even if they dont post, they are reading.

4. and if you dont like it, move? i had the ability to make a change because I didn't like were I was, don't be bitter because you're not able/willing/capable of doing the same.

5. Find some happiness! You sound miserable.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM

227 posts, read 247,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickques View Post
5. Find some happiness! You sound miserable.
Major emphasis on this.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:36 PM

I am very miserable, don't you see?

I'm just pretending. I'm very happy here.

Oh well, the honeymoon period should pass soon enough.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:16 AM

75 posts, read 43,772 times
Everyday I thank myself for having the courage and fortitude to leave south Florida. Do I hate the cold? YES! But I am so much happier in the north with educated people, good employment opportunities, and real lasting friendships that just are not available in south Florida. I know what I am talking about--I grew up there, went to college there, was married there, worked a professional job there. OP-I am glad you found your happy place, as did I. Hopefully your experiences won't turn into mine. Wishing you all the best.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:50 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
The bad drivers are not all FL license plates. I see plenty of NY, NJ, Mass, etc. license plates driving poorly. These are the ones who tend to go 50mph in the left lane.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:51 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
Everyday I thank myself for having the courage and fortitude to leave south Florida. Do I hate the cold? YES! But I am so much happier in the north with educated people, good employment opportunities, and real lasting friendships that just are not available in south Florida. I know what I am talking about--I grew up there, went to college there, was married there, worked a professional job there. OP-I am glad you found your happy place, as did I. Hopefully your experiences won't turn into mine. Wishing you all the best.
So you are saying we don't have educated people interested in lasting friendships in South Florida? What an absurd statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area