Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 188,540 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move there hopefully by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
lonell>

Coral Springs and Hollywood couldn't be further apart; both in location and styles. They are in opposite corners of Broward County, and they are two very different types of cities. Hollywood is very old looking and Coral Springs is very new looking. Hollywood was mostly developed 50-80 years ago and Coral Springs was mostly developed in the 80's and 90's. Hollywood looks old and Coral Springs looks new. Coral Springs is more of a traditional conservative suburb with gated communities and families. Hollywood is more of a beach city with lots of old development that is being refurbrished. Hollywood has more entertainment such as bars, nightclubs, hotels, restaurants, etc. Coral Springs has its share of restaurants, but not nearly as much entertainment. Hollywood has more young singles, tourists, temporary types, etc. Coral Springs is more family-oriented. Hollywood has more lower income people and more wealthy people while Coral Springs is mostly middle class.

By the way, Hollywood is very congested. The traffic is not good there. Coral Springs has far less traffic. But it also takes a lot longer to get to Fort Lauderdale and the beaches than Hollywood. Hollywood has lots of bums walking around the streets and is very dirty looking in many areas. Coral Springs has almost no bums walking around the streets and is very clean looking. Hollywood has a certain element of charm that Coral Springs lacks.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Cant rep you anymore Nolefan, but that was an excellent side-by-side summary of the two cities. You nailed the differences while maintaining total objectivity.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 40,193 times
Regarding the negative feedback. As with every city and every region of the U.S. that I have visited or resided in, there are certain areas of each where you will find crime and poverty, areas where only the rich will reside, and areas that are down to earth and idyllic in many ways. Hollywood is no exception. The best area to reside in Hollywood is "Old North Beach", a barrier island. It is quiet, there is no crime, the people are nice, it is not congested, with the Atlantic to the east and the huge mangrove preserve of West Lake to the west across the intracoastal waterway, it is warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather, and only one mile down the paved beach pedestrian walkway starts the beachside broadwalk with bars, restaurants, parks, entertainment, and on and on. For mainland southeast Florida, old North Beach is an out of the ordinary paradise compared to the rest of the region. Check out my video blog of Hollywood if you would like to see what it looks like here; there is also information on visiting here along with links to google maps with street view so that you can "cruise" the area if you like: Moderator cut: links to personal blogs are only permitted in your profile - in the future, you are welcome to refer people there for link

Last edited by fauve; 02-21-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Fauve: I respectfully disagree. I know the areas well, and I detect a very slight degree of bias against Hollywood. I know Coral Springs and the inland well, and feel that it would be depressing to have to live there, compared to the GOOD AREAS of Hollywood.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbeacher View Post
Fauve: I respectfully disagree. I know the areas well, and I detect a very slight degree of bias against Hollywood. I know Coral Springs and the inland well, and feel that it would be depressing to have to live there, compared to the GOOD AREAS of Hollywood.
Search Hollywood in this forum, read some of the threads, and you'll see that this almost a shining description of what's been said in the past. There are some here with a very strong anti-bias against the place. And, Ive been one of its few strong defenders, so I for one certainly welcome another pro-Hollywood Beach poster.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Search Hollywood in this forum, read some of the threads, and you'll see that this almost a shining description of what's been said in the past. There are some here with a very strong anti-bias against the place. And, Ive been one of its few strong defenders, so I for one certainly welcome another pro-Hollywood Beach poster.
Fauve. You're right. But I noticed that many of the HB naysayers, tend to recommend some other local community, sometimes unjustified in my opinion, which I have observed on other forums before, like the Hollywood [domain blocked due to spam] forum. It always seemed to me that maybe there are a lot of hotelier, real-estate, and chamber of commerce types that troll the forums looking to lure travelers and new residents to their locale away from others. Then too, likely some are from HB and like it here and are trying to convince them all to go elsewhere. But I think that some just have and "axe to grind", spewing bias and prejudice, then too there's the New Yawkers that just like to moan and groan and complain (being facetious, implying that I am biased ). Whatever, I was just trying to help others and set the record straight, never hurts to attract more good people to the good areas as a favor to them and to us...

Old 02-21-2010, 12:46 PM

Not all New Yorkers. You're talking to one. In the 2+ years Ive been posting and later moderating here, I havent met or noticed any Chamber of Commerce people. There are many people however with an axe to grind and others who are biased in favor of their own city. The naysayers were everywhere during late 2008 when the world was falling apart, but as things have improved, so has the mood. And, there are always a few anti-NYers around to share their opinion.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

443 posts, read 895,311 times
Quote:
The best area to reside in Hollywood is "Old North Beach", a barrier island.
That's not a barrier island. It's part of the mainland. Islands are by definition surrounded by water.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,785 times
I lived in S.Fl near Hollywood for many years and have seen the renovation that is happening and has happened to Hollywood. It is a happening place. Multi-cultural, yes, but unique. I would stay away from certain areas -- which you would surely recognize, but mainstream Hollywood is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area