Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM

167 posts, read 876,749 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am hoping someone here can help me. My husband and I and our kids (2 and 7 ) are thinking of taking a trip to Key Largo and are trying to find out what some of the best beaches are to go to.. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Mile Marker 102.6: John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, a 21-mile-long protected swath of reef that is home to 650 species of reef fish. This is in Key Largo and probably the only one you might be interested in.

Mile marker 73: Anne's Beach. Very shallow water but good for little ones.

Mile Marker 50: Sombrero Beach

Mile Marker 37: Bahia Honda State Park

You might consider staying further south as we found Key Largo very limited with activities.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 AM

thanks ellwood for the info!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,329 times
Jen,

You may also not be aware though, the Florida Keys are made of rock, so the beaches are man made. Don't expect long white sand beaches like in Miami/Broward.

As you can see from Ellwoods post, the couple beaches that exist, are many miles apart. I think the beach at John Pennekamp may be your best bet personally. Though Key Largo to me doesn't feel much like "The Keys". You may want to check out Anne's Beach off Islamorada.

Key West is a good choice if you want more of the beach vibe, there are good resorts with nice private beaches, such as The Reach. Either way, just a friendly reminder that you don't typically visit the Keys for the beaches.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Key Largo is known for scuba diving. Islamorada is known for fishing. Both keys are not known for beaches.

However, unlike other beaches, your 2-yr old can enjoy at the beach because it is shallow and practically no waves. You can walk 100 yards and still it's only waist high deep.

When are you visiting? I'm asking because the water gets murkier during the storm season.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
The Keys have the worst beaches in FL. They are too rocky and many are private beaches.

I would recommend going to South Beach or Fort Lauderdale Beach. South Beach is awsome. A little crowded/hectic, but the beach is huge with plenty of room to lay out. Just get there early on weekends before 11AM to get parking. You can park 1 block from the beach in a garage, and also you can walk around on South Beach. There are a ton of stores, restaurants, etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. We went to the state park. I thought I was going to an actual beach, I didnt realize that most of them around that area were manmade. I guess Im learning. lol I read about Annes Beach. I wish we had gone a little farther to check it out. Does it have sand there or is it the gravelly rock? I was kind of disappointed about that at the state park in key largo because my son couldnt really go in on the rocks... I really just would like to see the clear blue ocean water down there..

Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 130,569 times
Nolefan34 not true...you have to know where they are, and we're rather private people. True the beaches are not like Miami, but then again I notice allot of people here from Miami on Weekends.. There is a really nice open beach MM 87ish at Founders Park. Another small sandy beach behind the Holiday Isle and Hampton Inn. The best things to do in he Keys are practically free. Relax, take a deep breath, drink a beer etc. Enjoy eating in a few of the many local restaurants. see: Things to do in Islamorada, FL; The Islamorada Chamber of Commerce - 1-800-FAB-KEYS - Sport Fishing Capital of the World (http://www.islamoradachamber.com/todo.cfm - broken link) for other stuff to do. kwr (local)

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
livingthedream-

I like the Keys and I'm not saying its a bad place. I enjoy visiting down there as there are lots of things to do. But when it comes to beaches, the Keys are the last place I would recommend someone go when visiting Florida. The main problem is what you just mentioned. The lack of public beaches. The few that exist are rocky and have very little beach.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
Curry Hammock State Park (MM 56.2) has a beautiful grassy area overlooking the Atlantic. Bathrooms, playground, covered pavillions. Went there with the family camping, and enjoyed kayaking. We also watched some individuals kite boarding. It's a great little State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area