Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times

Advertisements

What about the charging structure, something special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 12:29 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It's definitely a big deal, with Ford's market leadership in pickups, and thankfully, they are aiming for a more modest price range than the upcoming Rivian R1T and the GM Hummer. Sounds like similar pricing in fact to the more radically designed Cybertruck. What is the ETA for your Cybertruck? Should be interesting!
I think it's 2022 delivery. We ordered the Cybertruck before the pandemic but ended up buying a Ram 3500 to haul a camper around so we wouldn't have to use hotels. SO now I can only take the Cybertruck if we decide to see the Ram and camper.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:26 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Now let’s see if they come out with a 250 or 350 F Series pickup, for those who want to tow a 5Th wheel,or put a plow for snow removal. The frame on these are heavier along with other parts. That’s why with these new EV pickups you have to be careful drilling into the bed to attach a 5th wheel hitch. You have the battery underneath the bed. This is why a EV 3/4, and 1ton is far off the horizon. Just get use to a regular EV pickups first.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:37 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
When they have an F350 that can go at least 300 miles pulling a trailer in subzero temperatures, I'll be interested. That's what I do in my diesel F350 (which will go much more than 300 miles but that's a typical winter weekend for me).
There's NO F150 that is a replacement for your F350, REGARDLESS of drivetrain! Why do people like you insist that an EV option in a half ton truck be able to replace ALL goddamn trucks?

This is not replacing gas or diesel engine pickups that are used for edge cases! (and yes, towing large amounts long distances regularly ARE edge cases.) The commercial work truck version of this is aimed at contractors and landscapers that don't have long distances to go. Suppose they spend even 30 minutes at each property and drive perhaps 10 minutes to the next property. In a 9 hour day with a 1 hour lunch break and two half hour mid breaks that's 7 hours on shift, so maybe 10 houses, or round up to 11. Say they're based 20 minutes from the first and last house they make the rounds of and that's perhaps 140 minutes of driving. Since it's all neighborhoods and city streets maybe they average 25mph. 2.33 hours * 25 mph = 58 miles in a 9 hour work day. Even if the range is only 120 miles when doing towing of a ~3000 pound landscape trailer, I'm thinking that's totally fine as it means the total range is about 2x what's needed on a given day.

This article below quotes a study by Strategic Vision, a major automotive consulting firm, on how pickup owners uses their trucks. Turns out 75% basically never tow (less than once per year... which means never to data scientist). We have to infer the % that tows frequently more than 4 times a year like some of us because the article didn't link to the actual data (which I'm sure the Big 3 have all paid to access) but I'm guessing it is in the low single digits.

Other interesting stats: 83% of pickup owners use it as primary commute vehicle. 70% hardly ever go off pavement. And 35% doesn't actually use the bed (they haul something less than once a year).

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/...cowboy-costume

Old 05-24-2021, 07:49 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
What about the charging structure, something special?
No, standard plug for Level 1/2 and the standard DC Fast Charge plug for Level 3. You can get higher powered home chargers from Ford, however, but still same plug.

Also the work truck comes standard with the smaller, 12" screen.

$50k for the extended range version is impressive. Also keep in mind that two examples (RWD and AWD) of Mach E over-perform their published range figures by ~13% Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

It’s possible the Lightning will do so as well, meaning we might be looking at closer to 260/340 mi of real-world range.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:44 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
There's NO F150 that is a replacement for your F350, REGARDLESS of drivetrain! Why do people like you insist that an EV option in a half ton truck be able to replace ALL goddamn trucks?

This is not replacing gas or diesel engine pickups that are used for edge cases! (and yes, towing large amounts long distances regularly ARE edge cases.) The commercial work truck version of this is aimed at contractors and landscapers that don't have long distances to go. Suppose they spend even 30 minutes at each property and drive perhaps 10 minutes to the next property. In a 9 hour day with a 1 hour lunch break and two half hour mid breaks that's 7 hours on shift, so maybe 10 houses, or round up to 11. Say they're based 20 minutes from the first and last house they make the rounds of and that's perhaps 140 minutes of driving. Since it's all neighborhoods and city streets maybe they average 25mph. 2.33 hours * 25 mph = 58 miles in a 9 hour work day. Even if the range is only 120 miles when doing towing of a ~3000 pound landscape trailer, I'm thinking that's totally fine as it means the total range is about 2x what's needed on a given day.

This article below quotes a study by Strategic Vision, a major automotive consulting firm, on how pickup owners uses their trucks. Turns out 75% basically never tow (less than once per year... which means never to data scientist). We have to infer the % that tows frequently more than 4 times a year like some of us because the article didn't link to the actual data (which I'm sure the Big 3 have all paid to access) but I'm guessing it is in the low single digits.

Other interesting stats: 83% of pickup owners use it as primary commute vehicle. 70% hardly ever go off pavement. And 35% doesn't actually use the bed (they haul something less than once a year).

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/...cowboy-costume
This. As far as consumers it's for the Suburban cowboys. And I say that as someone who would be one. It's romantic to think about how much I could use a pickup for but the reality is I rarely would. Last year I rented one to haul the cement away from a patio and make a couple trips to pick up sand and flagstone pavers. A couple weeks ago I had to make two trips to the nursery as the 12 bags of bark and some plants just weren't both going to fit at the same time. Of course that's all of six miles away so not really a big deal to take two trips. It's mostly a nice thought to think that I need the utility. In reality I rarely do and even when I do a Ridgeline makes a lot more sense. Which doesn't mean I'd buy the thing that makes sense. I'd get something from Ford, GM, or Fiat because that's what I want and not a Ridgeline.

The only thing that makes me not really excited about the F-150 EV is parking the damn thing. Before COVID I mostly worked in downtown environments. I know the types of downtown garages I need to park in and it would be all kinds of suck. Done that while I was doing the travelling gig with the tow rig which admittedly was about 3 feet longer. Mostly I stuck to more rural areas. Parking in "downtown" Redding or even Fresno or Bakersfield isn't so bad, but man did that suck parking in downtown LA. I just ended up getting a rental car and left the truck sitting with the trailer 30 miles away. Were it not for that, I'd probably happily join the ranks of suburban cowboys. Around $43-44k for the XL (or Pro I guess they call it) F-150 instead of 40-45k for a RAV4 Prime, ID4, Mache E is really hard to pass on. Do I need it? No. The infrequent times I do I can just rent something from Home Depot or UHaul. But really car purchases have very little to do with what people need and mostly have to do with what people want. If they didn't we'd almost all be driving small economy cars or hatchbacks and minivans as that's what 95% of us need. Cue the other 5% who live on a five mile unmaintained dirt road that gets six feet of snow or their wife needs to tow the horse trailer with attached apartment around the country going to horse shows or whatever.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:40 AM

843 posts, read 563,205 times
One thing that is not trivial, is that this truck is basically a current F150 with a new powertrain, so it is a proven durable truck with the current aluminum body and similar chassis engineered to last. Built Ford Tough. Actually it has an independent rear suspension, different than the solid axle in the ICE truck so it'll ride better.

This is not a new truck with a new body/chassis which is not a proven commodity.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:10 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
One thing that is not trivial, is that this truck is basically a current F150 with a new powertrain, so it is a proven durable truck with the current aluminum body and similar chassis engineered to last. Built Ford Tough. Actually it has an independent rear suspension, different than the solid axle in the ICE truck so it'll ride better.

This is not a new truck with a new body/chassis which is not a proven commodity.
Point taken, but I still have range anxiety issues. Being "Ford Tough" doesn't have the same ring if you can't realistically use your truck in anywhere close to the same manner as you would an ICE vehicle due to range and lack of adequate fast/reliable charging infrastructure (in the short term . . . I have no doubt that third party fast charging infrastructure will eventually get there).

That said, while I still have a cybertruck reserved, I found out that the commercial version of the 300 mile Lightning will start at around the same price as the dual motor cybertruck, which is a major selling point as far as I'm concerned. While I have reserved a cybertruck exactly because it is so unconventional, the F-150 remains my favorite vehicle to drive. If issues with charging infrastructure would be addressed to my satisfaction (especially as I'm trying to get back to Hawaii next year . . . Tesla is building a supercharger network on Oahu), I very well might order a Lightning and cancel my cybertruck order.

Note, if I could afford comfortably a tri-motor cybertruck, as much as I love F-150s, I would not be switching due to the additional 200 miles of range on the tri-motor alone.

Glad to see Ford develop the Lightning! I've always said that competition is great in the EV world.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:26 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Point taken, but I still have range anxiety issues. Being "Ford Tough" doesn't have the same ring if you can't realistically use your truck in anywhere close to the same manner as you would an ICE vehicle due to range and lack of adequate fast/reliable charging infrastructure (in the short term . . . I have no doubt that third party fast charging infrastructure will eventually get there).

That said, while I still have a cybertruck reserved, I found out that the commercial version of the 300 mile Lightning will start at around the same price as the dual motor cybertruck, which is a major selling point as far as I'm concerned. While I have reserved a cybertruck exactly because it is so unconventional, the F-150 remains my favorite vehicle to drive. If issues with charging infrastructure would be addressed to my satisfaction (especially as I'm trying to get back to Hawaii next year . . . Tesla is building a supercharger network on Oahu), I very well might order a Lightning and cancel my cybertruck order.

Note, if I could afford comfortably a tri-motor cybertruck, as much as I love F-150s, I would not be switching due to the additional 200 miles of range on the tri-motor alone.

Glad to see Ford develop the Lightning! I've always said that competition is great in the EV world.

I'm kind of curious as to why Rivian's R1T isn't in contention for you. It's pricey, but it does still have the $7,500 federal tax credit intact, so price-wise, it's ultimately pretty close to what you were looking for in a 300 mile range truck.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:11 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm kind of curious as to why Rivian's R1T isn't in contention for you. It's pricey, but it does still have the $7,500 federal tax credit intact, so price-wise, it's ultimately pretty close to what you were looking for in a 300 mile range truck.
I honestly don't like how the Rivian looks. Quite frankly, I don't like how most pickups look; I do love the F-150 look and feel when driving, though. Before the weirdness of the cybertruck was announced, I told myself the only pickup I'd ever buy an F-150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln