Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:53 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times

Advertisements

It’s all about national infrastructure.

We’ve had a Chevy Bolt for the better part of 2 years now - and it’s DELIGHTFUL. But we’re retired and since the pandemic our movement has just been local. We have the slow charger here at home and yes, we could boost it - and may after we install solar.....

But a trip across country or even in the state would be wonderful. I belong to a Bolt FB page and there are many taking that chance and traveling across country/state lines identifying charging stations.....

The Infrastructure Bill addresses this need completely.

Again - our Chevy Bolt after all the refunds and discounts: California, Monterey County, Federal, Costco, and PG&E was only about $24K.

AND - it saved our butts.... when we first moved here (semi-rural California) - we did not have WiFi in the house FOR SIX WEEKS - but we did in the Bolt. It would have been hell to set up housekeeping here without it.

Our other car is a Camry Hybrid. Which I had WIFI in also....and have kept WIFI in for future emergencies. I fill up every 3rd month with that car - $30 a pop.

The idea that you could have a backup generator in your F150 lightning - is game changing. Think a of all those folks who lose power in winter storms or other natural disasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 09:00 AM

393 posts, read 275,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
The idea that you could have a backup generator in your F150 lightning - is game changing. Think a of all those folks who lose power in winter storms or other natural disasters.
This is one thing that caught my attention. Since having 24/7 electrical power available is no longer a near-certainty like it used to be (at least in my area), the notion of having that big battery available for temporary power is very appealing.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:43 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
This is one thing that caught my attention. Since having 24/7 electrical power available is no longer a near-certainty like it used to be (at least in my area), the notion of having that big battery available for temporary power is very appealing.
Yup, V2L is definitely nice. I don't have the big battery be since it's connected to a gasoline generator that's no big deal. Definitely is useful during fire season when they turn the power off. It won't run anywhere near the entire house, but I can keep the fridge cool, laptop/cell phone charged and other small appliances. With an EV I'd definitely look at a charger that could double as a backup battery as opposed to the run an extension cord through the window solution I have now.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:33 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ford has unveiled their electric F-150, dubbed the Lightning. It's AWD only and it looks like an F-150. Pricing is on the lower end for announced electric pickups. Actual release date will be in 2022.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/2...ck-specs-price
Kudos to Ford, this is major for EV's. I will consider getting one, right now I have the Cybertruck ordered so we'll have to see.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Kudos to Ford, this is major for EV's. I will consider getting one, right now I have the Cybertruck ordered so we'll have to see.
It's definitely a big deal, with Ford's market leadership in pickups, and thankfully, they are aiming for a more modest price range than the upcoming Rivian R1T and the GM Hummer. Sounds like similar pricing in fact to the more radically designed Cybertruck. What is the ETA for your Cybertruck? Should be interesting!

Old 05-23-2021, 12:07 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Meh. Available only with a 5 1/2 foot bed. It's a big car with no trunk lid. Just like the Honda Ridgeline and similarly equipped "trucks". I wish posers would stop buying pickups for prancing around town and pretending they're cowboys or whatever. Maybe then manufacturers will stop catering to them and start equipping pickups for actual truck use.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:49 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Meh. Available only with a 5 1/2 foot bed. It's a big car with no trunk lid. Just like the Honda Ridgeline and similarly equipped "trucks". I wish posers would stop buying pickups for prancing around town and pretending they're cowboys or whatever. Maybe then manufacturers will stop catering to them and start equipping pickups for actual truck use.
They already make plenty of those. F-250 with the 7.3 is under 40k for everything I'd really want in a tow rig. It's a lot of truck for the money without stepping all the way up to diesel.

This one is for the urban cowboys and for larger work sites where they don't rely on passenger vehicles for delivering materials.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:52 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
Ford got this right with this Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup...it looks like a F150 and not something from out of space ..it can power a home for 3 days in the event of a power outage and the entry price seems to be extremely reasonable ...a game changer and might be the time to pick up some Ford stock which at the moment is around 12.00 a share.

I began to give serious thought to investing in Ford after they hit it out of the park with their new Mustang Mach-E but held off due to the chip shortage.... but I feel they just hit it out of the park once again with this game changing Ford F-150 lightning so I'm getting on board with Ford for a 5-10 year investment. The way I see it Ford is shaking up the EV market even though Musk gets all the publicity...which is absolutely fine with me...
This is among my number one complaint about electric cars, is that they always have to look rather goofy looking.

I would be far more interested in one if it looked normal, I just want a normal car, and electric be an option just as an engine option would be. So in this case, I want an F-150, just it be electric, not some goofy Tesla truck or something.

I am picturing having an electric powered car be in the same options category as getting a diesel or gas, or a larger or smaller displacement engine.

I am definitely interested in this EV F-150.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:18 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
On the lower end of the Bay Area - Central Coast - we have had “regular” outages at least once a month - UN announced for an hour - or two - by PGE.

This - with no weather nor disaster happening at the same time.

And I thought Rocky Mountain Power was bad.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:49 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
As I posted in the other thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-SjpxcGyjE

Starting price $39k before federal tax credits. Independent suspension at all 4 corners. 700+ lb ft of torque delivered instantly no waiting. I feel like this is a great idea for the great majority of pickup buyers who just use them to commute. BUT also for the fleet owners that use these trucks for mostly short runs to the jobsites around town. I look at all the contractors, lawn care companies, etc. that I see driving around in pickups; they all have a relatively short daily route that's pretty consistent from day to day, and their loads aren't all that heavy. An electric F-150 would work great for them. Oh and stated range is probably going to be lower than actual range, as it doens't take regen into account. And in-town speeds with a lot of stop and go will actually increase the range considerably, even towing (which adds weight to regen even more, even as it uses range to tow with).

Front trunk and inverter power to run power tools at the job site with no noisy generators. and a really low TCO (which is what businesses look at, not up front costs so much) At $39k, it should be a game changer and it looks normal, unlike the Cybertruck. Ford will probably have a hard time keeping up with demand.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/p...2_mmthumb.jpeg
I keep hearing people bring this point up (and, of course, the $39k MSRP is the commercial version . . . otherwise, it's expected to cost close to $53k)--and more often than not they point to the full $7,500 tax credit--but I'm not convinced that the Lightning will be eligible for the tax credit by the time it is released. Well, at least not the full $7,500. Ford sold 123k EVs as of June 2020. At 200k vehicles sold, Ford EVs will only be eligible for a $3,500 credit, which won't last forever really. https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/fede...-by-automaker/

Note, I love the look of the Lightning and the F-150 is perhaps my favorite vehicle of all time to drive. But the range--and the price for range--is concerning to me, especially considering the charging infrastructure that it will have access to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln