Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Christmas Eve will probably be an echo of Thanksgiving. The basted turkey recipe I posted went over very well, and I already have a turkey in the freezer. We'll probably have make-ahead mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. I'll make a different stuffing this time, and my husband wants to make bread pudding for dessert.

Not sure about Christmas morning. I love the idea of a casserole or baked French Toast, but I'll be cooking quite a bit already on Christmas Eve. Plus there's the inevitable last-minute wrapping, AND we have to pick up our visitors at the airport at 11:30 p.m. I'm going to have to be really, really focused on Christmas Eve to do all the cooking, make sure the house is tidy, etc. My husband and kids are good helpers, but it's a lot for me to supervise. If I don't have the day off, forget it. We'll make pancakes or eat oatmeal.

Christmas Day will probably be ham, some sort of scalloped potatoes or maybe yams, corn pudding, green salad with cranberries and pecans, Jell-O salad, and rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:29 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Christmas Eve will be Church at 4:00pm-after go out to eat to a local restaurant.

Christmas-Only 3 of us-Apps-cheese and crackers and maybe a mexican layerd dip.
Beef tenderloin, lobster tails, twice baked potatoes, breaded asparagus with pecorino romano, creamed corn for my DH, salad , and dessert is still unknown.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,073 times
Christmas Eve.........feast of the seven fishes. Seven fishes made into multiple dishes

Christmas Day.........Antipasto, Lasagna, meatballs, sausage, braciola, salad (no one eats) Italian breads and finally desserts

Way too much food but it's only once a year (well maybe it's just all the fish that's once a year)

Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
Still subject to change...Christmas Eve might be take-out Chinese or pizza and shrimp cocktail

Christmas day, cheese n crackers, Prime rib, taters, or stuffed mushrooms or both ect....I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Cheesecake w/whipped cream.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,303 times
Oldest son called tonight and asked if we wanted to come to his house for Christmas Eve. Did he think I'd say no????....LOL. Yippee!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
This thread is really making me hungry!

For an appetizer, since there has been so much talk lately of hummus in this forum, I'm going to make some and serve it with Pita crackers. For dinner I wanted to do a prime rib or filet, but money is tight. I did find a mushroom-stuffed beef tenderloin recipe this morning that I might do instead. I'll also do a potato dish, either cheesy scalloped potatoes, or garlic-mashed fingerlings. And maybe a salad, and my daughter also insists on Trader Joe's corn for every special holiday, plus we'll a have a leek/bacon dish. And snowflake rolls that my kids love from a local store. (I hate buying pre-made food, but they love them, so less work for me) For dessert I'm making a cheesecake with a fresh strawberry topping. Our guests will be bringing a more foods as well, not sure what yet. And lots of wine, of course.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:35 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
I know we are going to bake a ham, but I want to do completely diffrent side dishes than what we had for Thanksgiving.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times
We traveled to see the family for Thanksgiving, so Christmas will be just the 4 of us (hubby and the 2 girls.)

Christmas Eve we open the stockings and 1 gift that has new PJ's and a book. We will watch Christmas movies and have Baked Potatoe Soup and Mexican Corn Bread. I also put out all of the little treats to start eating on. We will have Lil' Smokies, Ham and Cheese Swirls, Chocolate Cheese Ball, Summer Sausage and Smoked Bacon Chedder Cheese and Crackers, Nuts, Sugar Cookies, Peanut Butter Cup Cookies, Peanut Butter Crackers dipped in Chocolate, Pretzels dipped in Chocolate, Popcorn Balls, Cake Pops,Christmas punch, Cream Puffs and Fruit Pizza.

Christmas Morning will be open gifts and have Hot Chocolate with lots of marshmellows and whipped cream with Baked French Toast and Applewood Bacon.

Christmas Dinner will be a Turkey Breast and a ham steak for dd with a orange juice and brown sugar glaze, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, grean bean casserole, deviled eggs, broccoli, rice and cheese casserole, rolls, mint chocolate chip pie, apple pie and a pumpkin roll. I didn't get the pumpkin roll at Thaksgiving so I am throwing it in for Christmas.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:48 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times
Oh No, I can't believe I forgot the Ginger bread men. The girls and I have so much fun baking and decorating cookies at Christmas. I always take a "goodie plate" to the neighbors and to the girls at our library too.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We'll have roast beef tenderloin, caeser salad, twice baked potatoes, and mince pie or plum pudding for Christmas Eve.
A few days later when some of the kids roll in, we'll do the Honeybaked ham, cheese potatoes, jello salad, chocolate cake.
And we always have pickled herring on crackers at Christmastime. When I was little my Grandfather called it Swedish turkey, otherwise we wouldn't have touched it. Now my kids like it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink