Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times

Advertisements

Christmas Eve : we always treat ourselves to a Gastronomic restaurant and come home to open our presents at midnight

Christmas Day : It's always only the two of us so we never feel like cooking turkey and all the trimmings so for lunch we tend to have things like Foie Gras, Smoked Salmon and Blinis, and lots of canapes then our traditional Alpine Cheese fondue for dinner . Dessert is usually something like chocolate souffle or lemon Syllabub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Christmas Eve : we always treat ourselves to a Gastronomic restaurant and come home to open our presents at midnight

Christmas Day : It's always only the two of us so we never feel like cooking turkey and all the trimmings so for lunch we tend to have things like Foie Gras, Smoked Salmon and Blinis, and lots of canapes then our traditional Alpine Cheese fondue for dinner . Dessert is usually something like chocolate souffle or lemon Syllabub.
Loved your post Mooseketeer. My ex husband is from England (Swindon, Wiltshire) and his grandparents are from Sweden. Your post reminds me of the foods we ate back when I was first married - happy times. What type of canapes do you make? Happy Christmas season to you and yours.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,728 times
On Christmas Eve, we usually have French Onion soup topped with French bread and melted swiss cheese. I always do a spread with spinach dip, shrimp, chicken nuggets (for the kids) and lots of cookies, cakes and sweets. We make punch, and we have eggnog and coke. Sometimes sparkling grape juice for the kids and the real stuff for the adults

For Christmas Day, we don't do too much. The kids are young enough where a big spread is not appealing, but maybe after reading all these yummy ideas on this thread, I might change all that!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Christmas Eve is at my SO's mom's and we usually have lasagne. Although sometimes instead she does deli trays with cold cuts, cold salads, meatballs, etc.

Christmas morning my daughter and SO and I go to my son's house so we can exchange gifts with our 3 year old granddaughter. I always make a sausage egg and cheese casserole to take along, but the baked french toast that Beretta mentioned also sounds good. Hmmm. Maybe have to break tradition!

Christmas Day is at my sister's, and is more or less a replay of Thanksgiving (which is always at my house). Aside from lots of appetizers (dips, cheese, salsa, deviled eggs), we have turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc. But at Christmas we also have a rich fruit salad made with oranges, apples, bananas, and sometimes other fruits with sweetened heavy cream. Every year my sister asks if we can skip this, but it's been a tradition since we were all kids (50 years ago), so we keep doing it. And a ton of Christmas cookies that my sisters, my daughter, and I get together and bake a week before Christmas to carry on the tradition that our Mom started. She passed away 7 years ago, and we started doing this to remember her.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
my christmas day dinner will be a roast beef and mash , adjoining green bean casserole and some sort of salad .

Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Christmas Eve is at my SO's mom's and we usually have lasagne. Although sometimes instead she does deli trays with cold cuts, cold salads, meatballs, etc.

Christmas morning my daughter and SO and I go to my son's house so we can exchange gifts with our 3 year old granddaughter. I always make a sausage egg and cheese casserole to take along, but the baked french toast that Beretta mentioned also sounds good. Hmmm. Maybe have to break tradition!

Christmas Day is at my sister's, and is more or less a replay of Thanksgiving (which is always at my house). Aside from lots of appetizers (dips, cheese, salsa, deviled eggs), we have turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc. But at Christmas we also have a rich fruit salad made with oranges, apples, bananas, and sometimes other fruits with sweetened heavy cream. Every year my sister asks if we can skip this, but it's been a tradition since we were all kids (50 years ago), so we keep doing it. And a ton of Christmas cookies that my sisters, my daughter, and I get together and bake a week before Christmas to carry on the tradition that our Mom started. She passed away 7 years ago, and we started doing this to remember her.
how nice that all of you do this to remember her that is just awesome and yes we do some traditions of my mother in law . I still miss her everyday cause she would help us out so much and now when I really need her help she is gone .

Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Loved your post Mooseketeer. My ex husband is from England (Swindon, Wiltshire) and his grandparents are from Sweden. Your post reminds me of the foods we ate back when I was first married - happy times. What type of canapes do you make? Happy Christmas season to you and yours.
Some canapes I buy ( we have a wonderful supermarket near us who does lovely posh canapes) but I also make things like Chicken Satays, Mini Quiches Lorraine , Vols au Vent ( ham , cheese and bechamel or garlic mushrooms) ,Stilton and Rarebit bites ( delicious) , Mini Crab Cakes with Aioli, Bruschettas, Pates on toasted artisan breads ( I love salmon and mackerel pates as well as the more traditional pork/chicken lived) . Not all of them all at once of course otherwise we would burst !

At Christmas I often make my own truffles as it is so easy but this year as we are away from Boxing day I don't think I will bother as they don't really keep too long.

Happy " running up to Christmas" season too !

Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I'm thinking midnight breakfast for Christmas Eve.

I'm still working on Christmas.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,140,887 times
We do a sausauge, egg & cheese make ahead breakfast for Christmas too.

Probably pick up a prime rib or filet to make the meal special. Stuffed potatoes & have to decide on a veggie.

Christmas Eve I bring stuffed shells to nephews house. His wife does a big turkey dinner.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
The usual Ukie stuff for Christmas Eve (a previous post about it quoted below), though this year my grandmother doesn't feel up to doing the cooking so we're all taking a piece. We think we're going to jazz it up by having tuna tartare in the fish course (in addition to the usual herring and baked fish) and I'm going to experiment with different types of meatless holubtsi (maybe some with rice instead of kasha, maybe add some sauteed mushrooms and reduced sherry/marsala to the inside).

Quote:
We do the whole Ukrainian Christmas Eve meal, Sviata Vecheria. It's supposed to be 12 courses, though we just do kutia, borscht (with mushroom vushka), fish (catfish in a tomato sauce, pickled herring), kasha holubtsi, pyrohy (usually potato and kapusta/cabbage), fruit compote, bread, nut roll, poppyseed roll, mushroom sauce, and then assorted cakes and cookies. The entire meal is supposed to be meatless and dairy-free, though we often cheat and have butter on the pyrohy.
For Christmas Day my father wants to make prime rib, and we usually have some sort of frittata/quiche/strata or french toast for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink