Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 07:59 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times

Advertisements

My oven has a rotisserie that does a great job.

But as someone else pointed out, a cooked chicken is cheaper than a raw one.

Which is weird. Fabric yardage is like that, too; it's less expensive to buy a (cheap) finished garment than to buy fabric and make your own.

But if you buy the raw chicken or the fabric yardage, you have control over the whole process. You know what ingredients are in your meal, or that a young child wasn't injured while making your shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 08:22 AM

9,141 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Stuff the chicken with olives and then roast.

Moist, with an almost exotic flavor that most people can't guess.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:18 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
I let CostCo cook my chicken.

They do 32 per oven, and the Vista store has 7 ovens....

Old 01-27-2024, 12:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Stuff the chicken with olives and then roast.

Moist, with an almost exotic flavor that most people can't guess.
Sounds yummy! I would maybe add some fresh Basil also.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:34 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
I buy several whole chickens when they are on sale for $0.89 which is about every five or six weeks. They tend to be a lot larger than the rotisserie chickens at Costco and other outlets and are not pumped full of seasoning solutions.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:06 AM

20,671 posts, read 4,436,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm stuck for some new ideas as I have burned out on spatchcocking and pan cooking that while faster has some limitations for ingredients. Please, inspire me!
Air Fry the whole chicken. Youtube has 1000's of video's to check out.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:35 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I buy several whole chickens when they are on sale for $0.89 which is about every five or six weeks. They tend to be a lot larger than the rotisserie chickens at Costco and other outlets and are not pumped full of seasoning solutions.
.89 cents/lb, correct? Yes, we can find them for .99 cents regularly.

I do get costco chicken very often - mostly for lunches and snaking. I like to cook whole chickens as well - totally different seasoning on the outside and crispy skin.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:41 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
I'd truss it and put it on the grill and rotisserie that puppy.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
Chicken & Dumplings!

I boil entire chicken with a mirepoix and seasonings in a strainer pot, then set aside strainer in fridge on a deep plate to cool down before picking out all the "critters" (bones, ligaments, etc.).

Make dumplings with either frozen Mary Hill (flat and long like a large noodle) or use Pillsbury Grands Southern recipe, pulling apart biscuits into 6-12 pieces each. Cook in the chicken stock, then put the meat back in there to reheat before serving.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:38 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
You can cut that chicken into wings, thighs, drums… And breast and then cook what you want

We just baked a whole chicken… I bring the legs for lunches is at work
In the breast, we put in a food processor for chicken salad, and then put in a tortilla wrap and rolled it up… It was pretty good
I suspect that you are the most likely to understand my comments.

The vacuum packed whole chickens are close to being a frozen primal. Overwrap the packaging in aluminum foil, stick it in the back of the freezer, and three or four years from now when you thaw it, it will be very close to freshly frozen. Do anything to try to freeze just parts and six months to a year is about all it will last without deterioration. It has to do with the mass, shape, and overcovering.

Cutting up a whole chicken is actually a Zen exercise. I'll paraphrase - "The master cuts the chicken into parts and his knife is sharper than when he started. The student cuts the chicken into parts and his knife becomes dull." It you can read and understand the signs, the outside of the bird will tell you exactly where to put your knife to go through the joints without hitting bone or any major cartilage. There are videos and instructions, and it is a treat to be able to look at the full thawed bird, make quick and precise cuts, and in three minutes or less have it apart. The exception is using a cleaver or other blade to break out the backbone for stock.

Once you have it apart... lemon pepper breast meat, fried wings and drums, thigh meat in stir fry, back into stock and cooked pick-aparts for chicken salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink