Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 09:34 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

We gave up on fast food hash browns because of the grease. When we want hash browns we usually do Orida crowns in a toaster oven. Today I tried Walmart Great Value hash browns in the toaster oven. They’re the size and shape similar to McDonald’s hash browns. They bake well in the toaster oven. Light crunch on outside and tender and moist on inside. One down side is a lingering aftertaste of onion and garlic which is added for flavor. The onion and garlic taste isn’t pungent but after the potato tast is gone then the onion and garlic lingers. Still a decent option to add to an egg based breakfast.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:41 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I boil finely diced potatoes in salt water un til almost done, drain, pre freeze to keep from sticking and freeze portions for hash browns, burritos, even soups.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I haven’t tried them yet, but the Trader Joe’s hash browns are apparently very good.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:03 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
The Walmart hashbrown patties are all right, but there are better quality options available at other stores. There are a couple of other companies that make similar patties. After trying the other brands, the interior of the Walmart patties seems more like mush than shredded potato. My perception of the brand-name products is that they are tender on the inside but still have a shredded-potato consistency. The Walmart patties by comparison seem to me more like a mashed potato consistency inside. There is nothing wrong with that, but the others just seem more substantial and better quality. They are, of course, somewhat more expensive than the Walmart store-brand patties, so there's that. Cannot remember the names of the other brands right now, but stores like Safeway carry them and BJ's Wholesale has a pack of 20 for a very reasonable price. I do like the McDonald's hashbrowns, though. I have tried to find a copycat recipe to make them myself (planning to try baking them instead of deep frying because of the grease issue the OP mentioned) but have so far not been successful in finding one that tastes the same and has the same texture and consistency as the ones from McDonald's. The quest continues.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We always get the “Simply Potatoes” which are mostly kept in the egg isle. They are cut thicker than the frozen ones and don’t turn mushy, crisper up nicely with a little butter added when almost done. I’ll have to try them in the air fryer sometime.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:51 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
The Walmart hashbrown patties are all right, but there are better quality options available at other stores. There are a couple of other companies that make similar patties. After trying the other brands, the interior of the Walmart patties seems more like mush than shredded potato. My perception of the brand-name products is that they are tender on the inside but still have a shredded-potato consistency. The Walmart patties by comparison seem to me more like a mashed potato consistency inside. There is nothing wrong with that, but the others just seem more substantial and better quality. They are, of course, somewhat more expensive than the Walmart store-brand patties, so there's that. Cannot remember the names of the other brands right now, but stores like Safeway carry them and BJ's Wholesale has a pack of 20 for a very reasonable price. I do like the McDonald's hashbrowns, though. I have tried to find a copycat recipe to make them myself (planning to try baking them instead of deep frying because of the grease issue the OP mentioned) but have so far not been successful in finding one that tastes the same and has the same texture and consistency as the ones from McDonald's. The quest continues.
I’ve been looking for name brand versions at the stores I shop and haven’t seen any. Costco is far on the other side of the parish (Louisiana’s form of county) from our home. I’ve checked big grocery stores and local small grocery stores and haven’t seen them other than Walmart Great Value. I don’t eat eggs often but when I do it would be nice to have some potatoes to go with them. At least with frozen crowns or hash browns they are always at the ready for a toaster oven when I want some.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:10 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve been looking for name brand versions at the stores I shop and haven’t seen any. Costco is far on the other side of the parish (Louisiana’s form of county) from our home. I’ve checked big grocery stores and local small grocery stores and haven’t seen them other than Walmart Great Value. I don’t eat eggs often but when I do it would be nice to have some potatoes to go with them. At least with frozen crowns or hash browns they are always at the ready for a toaster oven when I want some.
They are, indeed, sometimes hard to find. It seems that the grocery stores in this area (Maryland) are stocking them more often in recent months, but they still don't seem to have them all the time. We have BJ's stores here, which you might not have, and they usually have them in stock more consistently. As you pointed out, at least the Walmart version is generally available.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:48 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We always get the “Simply Potatoes” which are mostly kept in the egg isle. They are cut thicker than the frozen ones and don’t turn mushy, crisper up nicely with a little butter added when almost done. I’ll have to try them in the air fryer sometime.
I have had good luck with those as well. Lately I have just been breaking out the old mandoline and making my own from yukon gold potatoes. I do have an attachment for my food processor but that just seems like too much bother.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:00 PM

11,791 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Try Aldi's - cheaper and pretty good - they crisp up nice.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:08 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We gave up on fast food hash browns because of the grease.
I keep trying on my flat-top, but still can't duplicate Waffle House Hash Browns (Scattered and Smothered). Guess I should try a box of what they actually use. Looks like you can even buy it on Amazon now.
https://www.amazon.com/Waffles-Hashb.../dp/B0B19LBRLB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink