Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 10:51 AM

12,792 posts, read 15,034,943 times

Advertisements

Firstly, food used to taste better overall 4+ years ago. COVID seems to have changed everything, so in regards to food, probably lower quality & using less ingredients that used to make food taste better.

Off the top of my head, I recall these (will mostly be chains because not many mom & type places in my area):

- my Mom's own stuffing recipe - THE BEST! Very flavorful including chicken gizzards for the meat

- Chinese food at this place in San Francisco called Crystal Jade (I dined there in 2015)

- Gourmet burger at this restaurant called The Curious Palate in Santa Monica - great flavor

- Burger at Burger Lounge in Santa Monica - Very clean-tasting, non-greasy burger

- Yard House used to have THE BESTt turkey burger. You didn't need toppings or condiments to make it taste good. The meat was seasoned well on it's own (throughout early 2000s, but they've discontinued it during COVID)

- Round Table's chicken & garlic gourmet pizza is fabulous! I always tell them extra sauce.

- BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse has great pizza - the thick crust is soft & overall great flavor

- Numero Uno Pizzeria - Loved it back in the 80s. THey had a slightly sweet crust, which actually made it taste fantastic.

- Quizno's - I love their submarine sandwiches! They've all closed up in my area.

- The Great Steak & Fry - Great hot sandwiches! They've all closed up in my area.

- certain Vegas buffets

- certain churrascarias

I probably have few more to mention, but don't have time to add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 10:53 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,410,844 times
As a foodie, I have had many memorable meals both in the US and overseas, including ones I learned to make myself (smoked Chesapeake Bay Crab Bombs, for example).

If I look back, the one that impressed me most was a crown lamb rib roast, formed in a circle, where the circle was filled with a freshly-harvested-oyster stuffing. All of it was so wonderfully tender and expertly cooked, that it all but evaporated off the fork. This was near Rochester, NY, lakeside, years ago. I have long since forgotten the name of the restaurant.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:18 PM

19,971 posts, read 30,278,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
As a foodie, I have had many memorable meals both in the US and overseas, including ones I learned to make myself (smoked Chesapeake Bay Crab Bombs, for example).

If I look back, the one that impressed me most was a crown lamb rib roast, formed in a circle, where the circle was filled with a freshly-harvested-oyster stuffing. All of it was so wonderfully tender and expertly cooked, that it all but evaporated off the fork. This was near Rochester, NY, lakeside, years ago. I have long since forgotten the name of the restaurant.

The lamb crown roast… Is one of my favorites also
I’ve made over 80 of them… And over 1000 pork crown roast
Through the years… And recently 15 beef crown roast.

I cut up a family members deer years ago and made a venison crown roast
And it looked just like a lamb crown roast

Old 01-12-2024, 04:50 AM

15 posts, read 9,414 times
All you can eat seafood buffet in Taipei. Simply incredible! Lobster, sushi, sashimi, etc plus free flow champagne.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:33 AM

923 posts, read 528,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I've been around for 64+ years and so I certainly can't remember them all. I think my most memorable meals though, have had good food, but weren't really distinguished by incredible food, but rather have either been due to the beautiful setting - like having seafood on the rugged coast of Maine in a peaceful natural setting, or were distinguished by the warmth of large family gatherings - like growing up and having Indonesian food cooked by my Mom and all the "aunts" (real and honorary) down in the Outer Banks of NC, with my brother, cousins, second-cousins and all the extra friends.
39 and holding 14 years and I agree 100%! I've made really good food for myself and it's not as good/memorable as average food with my kids or other family and friends.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:25 AM

335 posts, read 157,105 times
One of the best meals I look forward to are grilled venison backstraps with the guys at camp after a successful hunt.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 563,265 times
Pretty much everything I ever ate in a New Orleans restaurant. The Holy Grail of good eats.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:55 PM

8,888 posts, read 6,915,435 times
Sushi, poke, Indian, Mexican, Italian, sheet cake with intense sugary frosting, certain kinds of ice cream...they're all the best ever depending on occasion and mood.

Old 01-23-2024, 02:10 PM

23,602 posts, read 24,139,882 times
Prime rib & steak here in the US at various steakhouses, sushi in Tokyo, BBQ in Texas, Cajun food in New Orleans, Dim Sum/Chinese food in Hong Kong, Korean BBQ in Seoul, Cuban food in Miami & Orlando, Peking Duck in Beijing, fish & chips in Wales & England, seafood in Boston, Mexican food (i.e., Cabrito) in Monterrey, Mexico and Singaporean food (i.e., curry, Singaporean chicken rice) at a “hawker centre” (food court style eating establishment.)

All memorable and great meals.

Last edited by ccm123; 01-23-2024 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 05:15 PM

2,045 posts, read 3,362,980 times
Haven't read all the comments yet - they might trigger some more memories...

But i think most of mine will be home-cooking by my late mom. I'm not a great cook, nor am i able to very much as i can't stand up for long.

Other than her meals, i had a meal of "lazy lobster" in butter, a twice-baked potato, and asparagus. Loved it. Any meal with lobster is at the top. Also years ago a restaurant near where i lived served a filet mignon topped with lump crabmeat. Amazing. I've also had incredible Crab Imperial... and i used to make a pretty good one too. I LOVE crabs - crab cakes and steamed Blue Claws also.

Some of my other favorite meals came from NYC the times i went there with my guy, who is from there. Katz's Deli turkey sandwich, Ray's original pizza, Nathan's hot dogs - things that we got while we were walking along the streets and really hungry. Nothing fancy.

But my mom's meals - that i miss so much - the Thanksgiving dinner, chicken pot pie (with slippery dumplings (square ones) ), roast pork, roast beef dinner, sloppy Joes, grilled Bluefish, deviled clams from clams we got from the shore mud... among many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink