Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 11:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times

Advertisements

Nonna's signature ravioli, filled with calf brains and spinach, topped with rich "gravy" (meat and tomato sauce).

Aunt Li's apple cake.

The veggie broth I got in the hospital after a week of no food.

Funny, it's much easier to think of meals I expected to be great, but didn't make the mark, like the duck at that fancy restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 07:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
I'm not much of a foodie, but I can remember the best meals I ever had:

1 - Chilean Sea Bass with arborio rice and broccoli. I made it. Best fish I ever had but it's super expensive.

2 - Shrimp Francaise at an Italian restaurant

3 - Filet mignon with escargot on top at a restaurant

4 - For an appetizer I had the best escargot I ever had in my life in a place on Long Island. This was 40 years ago and I still remember how delicious it was.

Old 01-08-2024, 07:23 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,136,668 times
I was a travel agent, and we got to go on several cruises. Best meals ever. One ship was all french, and the dinners were amazing. They carved a whole Halibut at the table, and another night a salmon. We also had a wonderful meal on an Italian ship with Lobster Thermador and Beef Wellington. To die for. Years ago a neighborhood restaurant had the best Duck a la Orange I've ever had.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:22 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,468,006 times
Best meal I had in my life and there are many was for my Birthday last year when we went out to eat a restaurant called Insignia. Everything from the seafood tower to the meal itself was on point. Pricey yes but well worth it.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:34 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,730,526 times
I turn 55 next month and served 8 years in the Navy and was stationed for two years in Gaeta Italy. My taste is more simple despite my Cajun heritage. A small restaurant in Spain had a wonderful shrimp omelet. In Ancona Italy a family turned their garage into a restaurant with meals prepared in the family kitchen. Went back two days in a row because each day was a different meal as the menu was a chalk board. Meal was served in four courses which could include a fresh green salad, light soup rich in herbs, small pasta dish, main course meat, and a small dessert. Varna Bulgaria we went to a restaurant in an open air garden that included a performance with songs and dancing that included the guest. The meal was multiple courses of simple but flavorful foods filled with fresh herbs and a desert of something that resembled a crepe with a drizzle of honey. The island of Rhodes Greece had some of the best gyros I’ve ever eaten.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:39 PM

11 posts, read 7,351 times
I'd once visited one of my friend in the Philippines and they had this called "Lechon" it was roasted pig and the moment I tasted wow, it was crazy and incredibly delicious! I wish i could visit soon in the Philippines and try some lechon.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,652,230 times
Best food I have ever had is probably my mother's green beans and biscuits.
I would eat them with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, onions from the garden and cantalope bought at the store and add home made pickles to the plate and sometimes the bread was cornbread we had ground from corn from our garden too.

Her stewed beef with nothing added but salt was the best in the world too. And Mom's biscuits too. She made the best biscuits ever without too much seasoning. They were just as soft when they got cold as they were when they had just finished cooking. If the biscuits get hard they have too much grease in them.
Now would you like to hear about her chicken and dumplings.
And let's not forget her pinto beans with corn bread and onions. We ate good healthy food at our home.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:11 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,730,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Best food I have ever had is probably my mother's green beans and biscuits.
I would eat them with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, onions from the garden and cantalope bought at the store and add home made pickles to the plate and sometimes the bread was cornbread we had ground from corn from our garden too.

Her stewed beef with nothing added but salt was the best in the world too. And Mom's biscuits too. She made the best biscuits ever without too much seasoning. They were just as soft when they got cold as they were when they had just finished cooking. If the biscuits get hard they have too much grease in them.
Now would you like to hear about her chicken and dumplings.
And let's not forget her pinto beans with corn bread and onions. We ate good healthy food at our home.
Got to sop up the stew gravy with those biscuits.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:40 AM

1,978 posts, read 940,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We went to a place called Sapphire Beach, and I’m not even sure where it was, maybe St Thomas.

Sapphire Beach is in St Thomas. Right down from us at Margaritaville. We went up to Mountain Top and had the best banana daiquiri of our lives.

Recently, I had the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had. We were on our way to Miami and stopped at a truckstop near Ocala. It was a triple-decker made with Texas toast and four different cheeses, and served with creamy tomato bisque. I had to eat it was a knife and fork it was so thick, and dipped it in the bisque. Damn it was good. And the bisque was ridiculously good, too. Honestly, I've almost always had good food at a non-chain truck stop.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:54 AM

1,978 posts, read 940,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Niagara Falls, Canadian side.
We were staying in a big hotel I booked because the restaurant faced the Falls which were lit beautifully at night in rainbow colors. I cannot remember the name of the hotel.

The Fallsview! We've been there for dinner and the view. Actually, one of the best macaroni and cheese dishes I've ever had. It was creamy, but not baked with a layer of cheese on top. Instead it was sprinkled with fresh chopped red, orange, and yellow bell peppers. The crunch with the creamy noodles was sooo good. I've tried it myself at home but have not been able to replicate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink