Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 07:28 AM

6,997 posts, read 4,811,992 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are babysitting the grandchildren so our son and his wife can go to a party tonight. Shouldn’t be too late, but that kinda leaves us with pizza for NYE dinner, lol. Haven’t really talked about tomorrow’s dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 12:22 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I had a girlfriend for an early celebration yesterday. We had chai with whipped cream and Norwegian kringla while we watched a movie. I set out a dish of Andes mints and Grand Marnier chocolate covered pecans.

For tonight we have some nice cheeses, cold meats and a variety of crackers. I'm making a spread of spicy hot pineapple relish and cream cheese.

This morning I took a rack of ribs out of the freezer for spareribs and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes for tomorrow.

What I really want is crab fettuccini Alfredo with cracked pepper and lemons but I'll wait until the day after New Year's and see if I can pick the crab meat up on sale. A Caesar salad on the side.

I'm also craving cranberry pie and just might have to make one. This was a new recipe for us just discovered last year. As rhubarb pie lovers I was glad to find a good tart winter substitute.

We're on a roll. No sense stopping now.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:30 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Saltado de Pollo with jalapeno sauce and rice.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:04 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Tomorrow we're having spaghetti with white clam sauce. My mom never served a good luck for the new year dinner. Pork and sauerkraut was popular where I grew up.

Old 01-01-2024, 12:35 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I made Hoppin' John today and just had a bowl for lunch. I'll have another bowl for dinner. Happy New Year!!

Old 01-01-2024, 01:06 PM

30,408 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Left over ham.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 231 times
Love the idea of turning leftovers into Lucky Soup for an extra dose of good vibes. Your menu is not only delicious but also packed with meaning – from moving forward with pork to the promise of prosperity with lentils.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:31 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I make a dinner on New Years Eve every year for our friends, and keep the leftovers for the next day which I make into Lucky Soup. Does anyone else make lucky foods for the new year?

My menu is:
  • Smoked sliced ham (pork for moving forward in life)
    Had an old acquaintance that did hog jowls, never got brave enough to try them myself, I stick with leftover holiday ham
  • Collard greens (collards for dollars)
    Cabbage for me, usually boiled and seasoned but braised is good too.
  • Hoppin' John (peas for pennies)
    Yes, good stuff!
  • Cornbread (made with creamed corn for gold)
    Never knew about the corn for luck. I usually make cornbread just because it goes so well with the beans and cabbage, and soaks up the potlikker

• Thin spaghetti (long unbroken noodles bring long life)
  • Rice (for prosperity, protection, and good fortune)
  • Lentils (resemble coins)
    Never heard of these but might add them or switch out occasionally for a change
Usually the rice is gone by the next day so the soup is made with the noodles and the everything else but the cornbread.
Kinda late but I hope everyone is off to a great New Year

Old 01-03-2024, 10:25 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Well it went off without a hitch. We had more folks than usual because of a sad event in our friends group, so I'm glad I bought double the ingredients. It's easy to add more black-eyed peas or collards to the pot.

This year I did two small hams (4 lbs and 3 lbs), and I don't think I'll do that again. They were pre-sliced like I like, but the slices were very thin. It just seemed more like deli meat and not like a proper ham, but that's just me.

I always keep notes so that I know what didn't work, and I think I may forgo the lentils next year. Maybe I let them cook too long, but when you have a lot of people coming and going, I just keep the pots on the stove and the ham & cornbread in the oven, all at low heat. But anyway, the lentils the next day were like cement! Yuck.

Happy New Year everyone. May the tears you cried last year water the seeds you plant in this one.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:07 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Well it went off without a hitch. We had more folks than usual because of a sad event in our friends group, so I'm glad I bought double the ingredients. It's easy to add more black-eyed peas or collards to the pot.

This year I did two small hams (4 lbs and 3 lbs), and I don't think I'll do that again. They were pre-sliced like I like, but the slices were very thin. It just seemed more like deli meat and not like a proper ham, but that's just me.

I always keep notes so that I know what didn't work, and I think I may forgo the lentils next year. Maybe I let them cook too long, but when you have a lot of people coming and going, I just keep the pots on the stove and the ham & cornbread in the oven, all at low heat. But anyway, the lentils the next day were like cement! Yuck.

Happy New Year everyone. May the tears you cried last year water the seeds you plant in this one.

I'm glad your dinner went well and that you had plenty for all of the friends that showed up.

I wonder if the lentils might work better if you put them in the crockpot? I find that I have to really have to watch my black eyed peas and stir them frequently as they have a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pot when I cook them on the stove. All that stirring is hard to do when you have a houseful of people and other items that you're cooking.

I love that above quote. I hope 2024 is a very good year for you and your loved ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink