Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 03:30 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,799,366 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

Went to the grocery store today. Bought (among other things) 18 eggs. Brought a tote bag with me. Put the heavier items on the bottom and the eggs on top.

Went to the bus stop. Placed the tote on the seat next to me and bent down to tie my shoe...

Ka-BOOM! Tote slips off the seat onto the sidewalk...with the heavier stuff crushing the poor little embryos. I didn't want to look...couldn't bear to look...I HAD to look.

Yup. Nine were destroyed (a moment of silence, please...)

My question is: Even though the other nine don't LOOK like they have any cracks in them, is there a sure-fire way to determine if there may be any hairline cracks?

I'm usually a stickler when it comes to food-safety. But by the same token, I'd HATE to throw something away, if it's perfectly fine.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-14-2023, 05:02 PM

7,416 posts, read 3,564,025 times
if there is nothing oozing out of them, they are probably fine in my opinion but admittedly, i am not an eggspert

Old 12-14-2023, 05:12 PM

14,540 posts, read 12,179,244 times
If you don't see anything oozing from them, there's probably not a crack of significance. Inside the hard shell is an interior soft membrane. If THAT isn't broken, there's no harm done.

IF you ever worry about an egg and don't want to break it to find out if it's bad, carefully place the egg in a glass and fill the glass with cold water. A BAD egg will float (gas bubble is part of the rotting process) An egg that is on the verge of going bad may be halfway in between. A GOOD egg will stay firmly on the bottom of the glass.

Do this right before you use them, if you're worried about it.

Old 12-14-2023, 05:34 PM

130,568 posts, read 12,156,539 times
They are not embryos unless you buy fertilized eggs. Which are available, I have seen them in Asian stores. The regular eggs you buy have not been fertilized so they are not embryos. Just eat them already

Old 12-14-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
They are not embryos unless you buy fertilized eggs. Which are available, I have seen them in Asian stores. The regular eggs you buy have not been fertilized so they are not embryos. Just eat them already
I have my own chickens, and a rooster, so mine at home are fertilized. That doesn't really change anything about the egg unless it is incubated (warmed) continuously, for enough days to make the change begin. They can sit in the fridge (or some even keep them on the counter) for weeks without developing.

I don't see where this was brought up as an issue on the thread though.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:27 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post

Funny thing is there was a story a few years back in the local paper about about a local Asian market. They sold fertilized duck eggs and it seems their air conditioner went down one night and when they opened in the AM they had ducklings roaming around the store.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Funny thing is there was a story a few years back in the local paper about about a local Asian market. They sold fertilized duck eggs and it seems their air conditioner went down one night and when they opened in the AM they had ducklings roaming around the store.
Not possible. They may have been selling duck eggs that had been incubated and were ready to hatch, which is gross if they were to be eaten, but possible, but that's a different thing than what would happen accidentally because an AC goes out. It takes 28 days of intentional and nearly continuous body heat to incubate duck eggs to hatch... Not just a night without AC.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-14-2023 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: better clarity :-)

Old 12-14-2023, 09:30 PM

3,837 posts, read 1,391,239 times
'Sure fire' way would be to cook them in an egg-steamer!
We've had live chickens for decades; we run any 'questionable' eggs in the steamer - always!
Sure enough, eggs that pass every other conceivable test will 'spill their guts' in the steamer, if it has 'hidden' issues!

Old 12-15-2023, 08:23 AM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not possible. They may have been selling duck eggs that had been incubated and were ready to hatch, which is gross if they were to be eaten, but possible, but that's a different thing than what would happen accidentally because an AC goes out. It takes 28 days of intentional and nearly continuous body heat to incubate duck eggs to hatch... Not just a night without AC.

I don't know, the way the article described it was that duck eggs with embryos were a Phillipino delicacy and that's what they had in the store, certainly nothing I ever sought out when shopping there.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:45 AM

130,568 posts, read 12,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have my own chickens, and a rooster, so mine at home are fertilized. That doesn't really change anything about the egg unless it is incubated (warmed) continuously, for enough days to make the change begin. They can sit in the fridge (or some even keep them on the counter) for weeks without developing.

I don't see where this was brought up as an issue on the thread though.

Then read the OP.
He was lamenting the loss of embryos when the egg carton fell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.