Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 05:22 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,046,424 times

Advertisements

On a related note, a friend once offered to bring me two dozen eggs from a farm - in a cooler, sitting on ice in cardboard cartons. There was a delay and by the time I got the cooler the eggs had been semi-submerged in cold water for who knows how long. I figured they were probably fine, but I did some research and found out it was a bad idea to use eggs that had been sitting in water. If the water or the cartons had bacteria it might be absorbed through the shell. Unfortunately I threw out all two dozen eggs.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:26 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,800,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Does Freezing Destroy Bacteria & Parasites? Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes — bacteria, yeasts and molds — present in food.

Cook your food to a temperature ranging between 145 and 165 degrees F to kill bacteria, including Salmonella.
Freezing may slow the production, but not necessarily KILL what may be already there.

I learned this the hard way when I was homeless. One day I ate at the Mission. Usually good food. I ate a pre-packaged dessert (some apple thing). The expiration date on the package was the DAY I ate it. I figured it was still "safe".

Boy, was I WRO'NG. It LOOKED fine, SMELLED fine, TASTED fine. But it wasn't. I ended up with a SERIOUS case of....well...the "runs." Lasted for 10 days. Found out later on that mold etc. starts from WITHIN yeast products. In other words, it starts as WHITE mold from the CENTER of the bread-product. Not as blue/green mold.

After that, I went to a food pantry. Saw they had bread. All excited. Then I saw that the bread expired 2 days earlier. I was like, "Dude...do you KNOW this already expired?" He said, "Why do you care? It's FREE!"

Yeah, um....no......

So, in a nutshell, I try to be very careful about what I eat....Egg-specially....

Old 12-15-2023, 05:42 PM

14,356 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Freezing may slow the production, but not necessarily KILL what may be already there.

I learned this the hard way when I was homeless. One day I ate at the Mission. Usually good food. I ate a pre-packaged dessert (some apple thing). The expiration date on the package was the DAY I ate it. I figured it was still "safe".

Boy, was I WRO'NG. It LOOKED fine, SMELLED fine, TASTED fine. But it wasn't. I ended up with a SERIOUS case of....well...the "runs." Lasted for 10 days. Found out later on that mold etc. starts from WITHIN yeast products. In other words, it starts as WHITE mold from the CENTER of the bread-product. Not as blue/green mold.

After that, I went to a food pantry. Saw they had bread. All excited. Then I saw that the bread expired 2 days earlier. I was like, "Dude...do you KNOW this already expired?" He said, "Why do you care? It's FREE!"

Yeah, um....no......

So, in a nutshell, I try to be very careful about what I eat....Egg-specially....
You've told this story before, and it proves nothing. First of all, unless you ate nothing else the entire day, there is no evidence that it was the pastry that made you sick.

Secondly, the "expiration date" does NOT mean "the day it becomes toxic"! I realize you will never believe this, but the date on packaged goods is really very arbitrary. Unless the package says "Use or freeze by XXX," which is often on meat, which should be obeyed, there is a whole lot of leeway built in.

Third, "the expiration date was the day I ate it" means that the food was still guaranteed by the manufacturer to be fresh and good quality on that date. Do you now throw out food wihch has a date of tomorrow because it might already be "bad"? At midnight, the coach turns into a pumpkin and the food becomes poisonous?

If the seal is broken on any kind of food, it might become moldy or spoiled well before the printed date. And if the package is undamaged, it may very well be perfectly fine for days, weeks, and even months.

But you know what they say... common sense is uncommon.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:53 PM

7,127 posts, read 4,848,432 times
Quote:
I usually do that too...
Does anyone inspect the eggs under magnifying glass?
I don't ....
Sometimes the eggs I buy at the supermarket have very faint hairline cracks visible without a magnifying glass. I won’t use those. Not saying I haven’t missed a crack at some point, but I wouldn’t take a chance.

And for the poster who says “you don’t know what it was that made you sick”: for myself? I would not take the chance.

I don’t worry too much about expy dates, especially if it’s only a day or two.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:53 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,343,248 times
Quote:
I usually do that too...
Does anyone inspect the eggs under magnifying glass?
I don't ....
I twist mine before buying to see if they are stuck.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:35 PM

14,547 posts, read 12,185,505 times
You really didn't have to waste them. I told you how to check them. Worst case scenario they are cracked, break them into a bowl and cook them right away.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:56 PM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You've told this story before, and it proves nothing. First of all, unless you ate nothing else the entire day, there is no evidence that it was the pastry that made you sick.

Secondly, the "expiration date" does NOT mean "the day it becomes toxic"! I realize you will never believe this, but the date on packaged goods is really very arbitrary. Unless the package says "Use or freeze by XXX," which is often on meat, which should be obeyed, there is a whole lot of leeway built in.

Third, "the expiration date was the day I ate it" means that the food was still guaranteed by the manufacturer to be fresh and good quality on that date. Do you now throw out food wihch has a date of tomorrow because it might already be "bad"? At midnight, the coach turns into a pumpkin and the food becomes poisonous?

If the seal is broken on any kind of food, it might become moldy or spoiled well before the printed date. And if the package is undamaged, it may very well be perfectly fine for days, weeks, and even months.

But you know what they say... common sense is uncommon.

Yup. Can't disagree with all that.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I twist mine before buying to see if they are stuck.
Stuck... Like how?

Old 12-15-2023, 08:44 PM

14,356 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Quote:
Stuck... Like how?
Stuck to the cardboard carton. I buy eggs by the dozen from Trader Joe's, and I always open the lid, check for obvious big cracks or breaks (not worried about microscopic "lines") and wiggle each egg slightly to make sure it is not stuck to the carton. If it's stuck, that means there is a crack underneath that I can't see and some egg white has leaked and glued the shell down.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Stuck to the cardboard carton. I buy eggs by the dozen from Trader Joe's, and I always open the lid, check for obvious big cracks or breaks (not worried about microscopic "lines") and wiggle each egg slightly to make sure it is not stuck to the carton. If it's stuck, that means there is a crack underneath that I can't see and some egg white has leaked and glued the shell down.
Oh, l see. Very smart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink