Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 05:29 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,631,014 times

Advertisements

Yes, they still make Total, but it's harder to find than it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 06:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,357,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Its used as a drying agent.
I don't wish to be argumentative, but it is not used as a "drying" agent in the production of oats, it is an herbicide used to control/kill broad leaf vegetation, which may occur in the field during the growth cycle of oats.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:07 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
grape nuts love it. Husband calls it gravel cereal.
I love every kind of cereal and occasionally treat myself to the really sugary ones for fun but on a regular basis I love Grape Nuts too and the original Fiber One. I heat the Grape Nuts up in the microwave with milk and raisins and it's absolutely delicious!

Old 12-04-2023, 12:23 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
grape nuts love it. Husband calls it gravel cereal.
Grapenuts in your yogurt is "next level" good. The crunch cuts through the yogurtiness. I haven't done that in a long time, but thanks for the reminder, I think I will again.

Also, another healthy 'cold' cereal is "overnight refridgerator oatmeal". Not the typical cold cereal, but really good, really healthy and REALLY easy. (Add the grape nuts at time of serving, not at assembly)

Old 12-04-2023, 01:07 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Plain Kellogg’s Corn Flakes & plain Cheerios with 2% milk. I find the other cereals have too much sugar. I don’t consume cereals much these days.

Many years ago, as a teen/young adult, I loved Kellogg’s Raisin Bran or Kellogg’s Mueslix.

As kids, Trix, Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Puffs or Captain Crunch (peanut butter version) was popular in our household. Many, many years ago.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Be careful with Grape Nuts if you have dental work, however -- seriously.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,502,913 times
I’d eat more cold cereal if the manufacturers cut out add the sugar.
Especially like grape nuts, life, shredded wheat.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:24 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,494,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just came across this article about the relationship of skipping breakfast and obesity. You all might find it interesting, too:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fri...cid=576788c3dc

and here's a recipe from Dr. Greger on a healthy breakfast cereal you can make st home:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-...hen-groatnola/
Interesting video. But basically it boils down to common sense.

There is a correlation between obese people and skipping breakfast, mostly because obese people are trying to lose weight and often find breakfast is the easiest meal to skip (and end up binging later).

People who were randomized to eating breakfast vs skipping breakfast showed no weight loss preference. And even though the breakfast skippers ate more calories for lunch, this was not enough to offset the extra calories for breakfast. What they did find was that people who ate breakfast tended to move around more in the morning, and this largely offset the difference.

There was an interesting add on how calories consumed are more likely to be converted to fat vs energy during certain parts of our circadian rhythm. Obviously, if you eat a big meal close to bed time, your body will make very little of it available as energy, and simply store it as fat. Whereas if you eat a big meal for breakfast, your body will make more of it available as energy, and less as fat.

All around, some good points.

I have another, you should avoid skipping meals (if possible - some find skipping meals the only way they can lose weight) due to the fact to maximize lean tissue retention, you need to eat protein around 3-5x a day. If you consume your daily's allowance of protein in one meal, you will convert more of it to energy (vs muscle) than if you space these meals out throughout the day. Not to mention, protein has a higher thermogenic effect than other food, and will help keep you satiated longer. Eat your protein! At least 0.5g if not 1g of protein for lb of body weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink