Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 01:26 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Lime or Lemon Perrier is my ultimate favorite.

Plain sparkling Liquid Death has become a recent go-to as well.

Mountain Valley is up there too.

Those three are pretty much my one or nothing. Not a big fan of soda. A Diet Coke is good after a night oof heavy drinking...
Not a big fan of Bubly, or most other brands of sparkling water I've tried off the shelves. Most I have tried have a bit of a tap water taste to them, so I mainly stick to the three I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Healthiest would be one of the no sugar/no calorie sparkling waters.

I don't buy them because they come in aluminum cans.
Mountain Valley only comes in glass bottles as far as I know. I've never had them in any other form.
You can get Perrier in glass bottles as well. The taste alone is a solid reason to go with glass.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-27-2023 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 02:20 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I do that as well. Two juices that go well in it at a 1 to 5 ratio are grape, and grapefruit if you like the tang. Much of the time I like it unflavored as well, or as a mixer.
I do the same. Just seltzer with no sugar or sodium and then add just a little bit of some type of juice only a couple of table spoons is enough to flavor it.
Otherwise just plain seltzer is perfectly fine for me as well without any flavoring.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
The best dr I ever had used to recommend Mountain Valley and it only came in glass bottles. But I mostly buy San Pellagrino if I can get it in glass because it's easier to find and I like the fizz. Haven't really had much soda since the teen age years and didn't really care for it much even then. (I don't like the taste of plastic and I hate the plastic waste anyway.)

Old 11-27-2023, 02:49 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I buy strawberry sparkling water from Walmart and add one of those little tubes of sugar free lemonade made for individual bottles of water. Don't have to stir it up. Just wait 2 or 3 minutes and let the carbonation mix it up.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:01 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Soda Stream offers a recycling program. You get the canisters at a reduced rate ($17, as opposed to $32), and send back your empties (they provide a prepaid shipping label).

Do you have Target in your area? They sell the canisters.
The closest Target is a 170 mile round trip. I did check out Soda Stream's website and found one local mom-pop store that sells some of their products and participates in the cylinder recycling program. One of our local grocery stores sells one or two Torani syrups I like and have been using to flavor seltzer and obviously you can use juice. Up until now I haven't lived anywhere anyone sells the stuff so now that I live in the "big city" (5000 population ) I may check into it further. The local mom-pop mentioned they're hovering on the brink of discontinuing due to rising AK shipping costs.

Looked into Soda Stream's online cylinder exchange option (ship to and return from home) as well, but there's a time limit attached to it. If you don't return your used cylinders quickly enough they attach a $15 surcharge to each one. Many, many, many US companies operating out of the south 48 apply shipping surcharges to AK deliveries but don't advertise the fact. You really have to dig into the fine print to find out. Apparently, they've never realized we aren't located closer than Mars.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-27-2023 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-27-2023, 06:14 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The closest Target is a 170 mile round trip. I did check out Soda Stream's website and found one local mom-pop store that sells some of their products and participates in the cylinder recycling program. One of our local grocery stores sells one or two Torani syrups I like and have been using to flavor seltzer and obviously you can use juice. Up until now I haven't lived anywhere anyone sells the stuff so now that I live in the "big city" (5000 population ) I may check into it further. The local mom-pop mentioned they're hovering on the brink of discontinuing due to rising AK shipping costs.

Looked into Soda Stream's online cylinder exchange option (ship to and return from home) as well, but there's a time limit attached to it. If you don't return your used cylinders quickly enough they attach a $15 surcharge to each one. Many, many, many US companies operating out of the south 48 apply shipping surcharges to AK deliveries but don't advertise the fact. You really have to dig into the fine print to find out. Apparently, they've never realized we aren't located closer than Mars.
There are workarounds.

1. Pony tanks or larger of CO2 and a regulator and adapter, and Bob's yer uncle. Any restaurant or fast food place has to have access to CO2 for the post mix syrups.

2. If you have access to dry ice, the top can be screwed off the CO2 cylinder and dry ice dropped in to refill it.

3. Homemade beers create pressurized CO2. You can do a gas exchange to the soda water, or compress it somewhat to do it later.

4. Welding supply places can not only supply CO2, but have the expertise to make the adapters.

Soda stream is just convenient and one way of accomplishing carbonation.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:12 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
We are into San Pellegrino Essenza. Buy it a Costco.

Old 11-28-2023, 02:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are workarounds.

1. Pony tanks or larger of CO2 and a regulator and adapter, and Bob's yer uncle. Any restaurant or fast food place has to have access to CO2 for the post mix syrups.

2. If you have access to dry ice, the top can be screwed off the CO2 cylinder and dry ice dropped in to refill it.

3. Homemade beers create pressurized CO2. You can do a gas exchange to the soda water, or compress it somewhat to do it later.

4. Welding supply places can not only supply CO2, but have the expertise to make the adapters.

Soda stream is just convenient and one way of accomplishing carbonation.
"Convenience" takes on a whole other meaning up here. Welding supplies? Dry ice? Beermaking supplies? Pony tanks/fittings? I'd have to travel nearly the same distances if not farther to gather those sorts of things. TBH, I was truly surprised to find anyone carrying Soda Stream supplies.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:27 PM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Lime or Lemon Perrier is my ultimate favorite.

Plain sparkling Liquid Death has become a recent go-to as well.

Mountain Valley is up there too.

Those three are pretty much my one or nothing. Not a big fan of soda. A Diet Coke is good after a night oof heavy drinking...
Not a big fan of Bubly, or most other brands of sparkling water I've tried off the shelves. Most I have tried have a bit of a tap water taste to them, so I mainly stick to the three I mentioned.

Mountain Valley only comes in glass bottles as far as I know. I've never had them in any other form.
You can get Perrier in glass bottles as well. The taste alone is a solid reason to go with glass.
My absolute favorite but I like it plain. I buy the 11.15 oz. 4-packs. One of those lasts me about a week. I drink it with my glass straw right out of the bottle.

Became concerned in recent years about sparkling water being bad for your teeth. I had a dental hygienist tell me I should stop drinking it and she could tell I drink it. I've also heard that from other sources as well. Well, I think the straw helps...

Oh, regarding soda, except for maybe 2 root beers per year I do not drink it at all. I used to be addicted to (mostly) Cherry Coke but I quit cold turkey on November 26, 1992. One of the best things I ever did.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:39 PM

8,168 posts, read 6,920,059 times
I stopped drinking soda a long time ago. However, once in awhile, when the craving just won't go away, I'll have one of these:

Q Ginger Beer
ingredients: Carbonated Water, Organic Agave, Citric Acid, Ginger Extract, Extracts Of Chili Pepper, Coriander, Cardamom, Lime, And Orange.

Not the healthiest. Not the worst.
But quite delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink