Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 AM

19,142 posts, read 25,360,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I was traumatized by some beets when I was a young child. Maybe I should give them another chance? Aren't they a super food?
I too was traumatized by beets when I was an infant, and I refused to eat them for the next 40 years or so. However, an adult palate can be considerably different from a child's palate, so trying beets again might be a good idea. When I did try them again--as an adult--I experienced a taste epiphany.

If you want to taste them at their best, buy fresh beets, cut the tops off, wrap them individually in foil and then roast them for ~45 minutes. After they have cooled, put on a pair of exam gloves and rub the softened skin off of the beets, slice them, and enjoy! Roasted beets are MUCH tastier than beets that have been boiled or processed and canned.

Yes, beets are now considered to be a superfood, due to their nutritional content. In addition to good amounts of folate, Vitamin C, and potassium, beets are also a very good source of dietary nitrates. Those nitrates dilate your blood vessels, and that dilation effect can help to increase blood flow and can help to reduce high blood pressure. Beets are also fairly high in fiber.

Some people claim that beets boost their energy levels, but I'm not sure if there are actually any studies to support those claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
I love picked beets but I have a can of plain beets, what entry for beets do you suggest?
I like everything with butter and salt so I would suggest butter and salt.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,543 times
You know what the one root said to the other when he couldn't hear the music?

Turnip the beet.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Sorry, I posted a recipe for fresh beets above (post number 30) If you want the fresh beet version, use 1 1/2 pounds of beets.
Ignore the first paragraph if you are using canned beets.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,251,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
I love picked beets but I have a can of plain beets, what entry for beets do you suggest?
Oh yeah...I had another idea.....

If you have a screen door that won't stay open or bangs around when it's windy, put the can of beets in front the door to keep it held open. Also, bring it with you on picnics. It can be used to keep the napkins from blowing away....

You're welcome.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink