Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... etc...
Perhaps not. Did you read those reviews?
https://goo.gl/kJmFQw
Perhaps THAT one/brand has problems. I don't know that brand, I don't have that brand. The one that I have has no way of flaking and doesn't have any of those problems. I'm sure that this is just a knock-off brand that I happened to link to. But the concept is flawless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,262,615 times
I do agree that there's nothing quite like freshly peeled garlic. I've tried the bowl technique and also the knife smashing. This works better for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1OS1NC/

And when I want it chopped/minced quickly:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMQ922W/

I love both these little tools -- they work fast and are easy on senior joints, as well as being dishwasher safe.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,229,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I just whack the cloves with the back of a knife.
Just put the garlic clove on the cutting board or counter, put the knife's on top of the clove, and smack the side of the knife with your hand. That's all there is to it.
There you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlo8Wr9Z0c

Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,546,743 times
There's no way I'm going to break my hand using the heel of it to bash a giant head of garlic, hoping it's not harder than my hand.

What I've recently discovered is that freezing garlic makes it really easy to peel. The ones I've frozen are not rock hard. I can easily cut off the ends, then just run my knife along an edge and the whole skin comes of in one peel. Then, I just stick them in my hand garlic press.

This works better for me than wacking a knife on a clove, too, as I don't want to hurt my hand wacking against a knife blade. Maybe that works when you're young and strong, but I'm old and don't want to hurt my hands wacking garlic.

Anyway, I'm sold on just freezing garlic now and just using my knife to cut off the ends and slice along one side to peel them.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:11 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,255,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There's no way I'm going to break my hand using the heel of it to bash a giant head of garlic, hoping it's not harder than my hand.

What I've recently discovered is that freezing garlic makes it really easy to peel. The ones I've frozen are not rock hard. I can easily cut off the ends, then just run my knife along an edge and the whole skin comes of in one peel. Then, I just stick them in my hand garlic press.

This works better for me than wacking a knife on a clove, too, as I don't want to hurt my hand wacking against a knife blade. Maybe that works when you're young and strong, but I'm old and don't want to hurt my hands wacking garlic.

Anyway, I'm sold on just freezing garlic now and just using my knife to cut off the ends and slice along one side to peel them.
Just carefully press the clove with the heel of your hand using the flat side of the knife. No pounding required. I wouldn't strike my hand on the knife either.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I buy a bag of peeled garlic cloves from Sam's. Then I use my small ninja food processer and grind/mince it up with olive oil. Then on to plastic wrap in a log shape, then freeze. When ever I need garlic I can easily cut off a half inch/1 inch/etc.

It really works great. If I need fresh cloves to grate/roast/etc then I'll buy a head of garlic. Our local groc. store doesn't carry good garlic, that's the main reason I freeze it. It's also so easy to cut off what I need and not get my hands and cutting board so "stinky".

Great idea. That is almost like I do pesto, but I never thought about just doing the OO and garlic. You have given me a perfect answer.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
This is the professional technique
that is how my father did it but he had the strong hands and was a professional. He would smash the garlic with the back of his French knife than proceed to smash it with salt mixed in. He was so good and so fast but I just never totally got the swing of it.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,126,090 times
I almost always use a crushed clove - it allows for greater flavor - so I whack them with the side of my chef knife and the peel comes off - easy peasy. Why dirty a jar?

Then, if I want the garlic chopped, it's already on the cutting board.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:43 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I prefer using something like that but as we get older our hands lose strength. It seems I can't get a press or anything like that to really work.
I haven't used one in a few years, so I'm not sure how I'd do.

Caught my son cracking garlic cloves with an old, heavy tumbler a few weeks ago. It worked.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:01 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Perhaps THAT one/brand has problems. I don't know that brand, I don't have that brand. The one that I have has no way of flaking and doesn't have any of those problems. I'm sure that this is just a knock-off brand that I happened to link to. But the concept is flawless.
But 76% of the people loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink