Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:26 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,586,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
One whack with my chef's knife and the garlic is peeled.
One whack with even a butter knife works fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:05 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,145,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
hmmm
something better is to buy them already peeled- I can get freshly peeled whole cloves at the Asian market for cheap (prefer that then the crushed stuff in bottles which doesn't seem fresh and is in oil)...
I buy large jars of it, already peeled from Sam's: I never thought of the Asian market. The only problem with Sams is the amount you have to buy and it does spoil. I have started freezing it, but that isn't the best either. I totally agree with the crushed or chopped stuff in the bottles. My daughter, who is a great cook does use the bottles: I am really surprised she does.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:10 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,145,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I use this. It comes with one of those roller things but you don't even need it, it presses the garlic right through the skin and then you just scrape it out of the presser with a knife (comes out in one piece, takes about 2 seconds)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I prefer using something like that but as we get older our hands lose strength. It seems I can't get a press or anything like that to really work.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:40 AM

923 posts, read 530,490 times
I buy a bag of peeled garlic cloves from Sam's. Then I use my small ninja food processer and grind/mince it up with olive oil. Then on to plastic wrap in a log shape, then freeze. When ever I need garlic I can easily cut off a half inch/1 inch/etc.

It really works great. If I need fresh cloves to grate/roast/etc then I'll buy a head of garlic. Our local groc. store doesn't carry good garlic, that's the main reason I freeze it. It's also so easy to cut off what I need and not get my hands and cutting board so "stinky".

Old 12-29-2016, 06:54 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,784,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
That's what I do too. Works every time.
Don't have to spend money on another gadget either..
Smash with a chef knife.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:02 AM

80 posts, read 112,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I just whack the cloves with the back of a knife.
As long as you don't need whole cloves, this is by far the easiest and fastest way I've found. The peel is amazingly easy to pull off a partially crushed clove. And if you're chopping the garlic, crushing it first with the flat side of your knife makes the chopping easier, as the clove doesn't slip around on you.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,773,402 times
Garlic peeling issues. What's the world coming to? Have you ever considered the possibility that your love of garlic is the reward for the effort? People don't jog because they hate it.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,835,654 times
I used to buy peeled but I noticed that fresh peeled just taste much more potent and stronger. When I make garlic butter the peeled ones just don't have enough kick to it. So I stopped buying peeled and went back to peeling fresh ones. I usually just wet it and whack it then the peels comes off easier.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,319,556 times
I saw this once on a cooking show, it really works.
I put a handful of the cloves of garlic into a cereal sized bowl.....I then put the same size bowl on top and holding both bowls closed rim to rim..... shake hard, up/down sideways, very hard. You'll see the peelings fluffing out of the bowls....stop after a bit, remove any of the peeled cloves, re-shake, repeat til all cloves are naked.

Or, simply buy already peeled garlic at the market.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 AM

141 posts, read 172,921 times
I don't always peel garlic, especially when I'm cooking something like pot roast. I just bruise it a little and throw it in the pot, skin and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink