Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Hubby just went through this a few months ago, so I can tell you what happens. They give you a ticket and you drive away with your car. You have to pay the ticket and renew your registration.
Happened to my step father a few months back, Doggiebus is 100% on the money with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Hubby just went through this a few months ago, so I can tell you what happens. They give you a ticket and you drive away with your car. You have to pay the ticket and renew your registration.
Yes.
Had the same thing happen a couple years ago in Bay County. I was a couple days over the time limit for tags.
I got a ticket, drove back home, and took care of the situation.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 AM

57 posts, read 848,061 times
As a Florida LEO....

Operating a motor vehicle with an expired tag/registration is a civil infraction (non-moving violation). If that is the only problem during the stop, (valid license and insurance) the motorist can drive home in the vehicle. The fine amount will be less than a speeding ticket since it is a non-moving violation, no points on your license, and the fine amount depends on each county.

There are different statutes, either the registration is expired less than or more than six months. If you are convicted of the offense, it will show on your Florida driving history.

Now here is the kicker! A second or subsequent offense for driving with a registration expired more than six months is criminal. So get caught driving with an expired tag of more than six months, and it is the second time you have been stopped for the offense, you can go to jail. Most are just issued a criminal traffic citation, or a summons to appear in court.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
As a Florida LEO....

Operating a motor vehicle with an expired tag/registration is a civil infraction (non-moving violation). If that is the only problem during the stop, (valid license and insurance) the motorist can drive home in the vehicle. The fine amount will be less than a speeding ticket since it is a non-moving violation, no points on your license, and the fine amount depends on each county.

There are different statutes, either the registration is expired less than or more than six months. If you are convicted of the offense, it will show on your Florida driving history.

Now here is the kicker! A second or subsequent offense for driving with a registration expired more than six months is criminal. So get caught driving with an expired tag of more than six months, and it is the second time you have been stopped for the offense, you can go to jail. Most are just issued a criminal traffic citation, or a summons to appear in court.
Thanks for clarifying that Officer . Obviously, its always good to be on the right side of The Law (and the LEO pulling you over....) . By the way, are many people talking their way out of tickets these days with LEO's for moving violations like in the olden days ?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova9 View Post
My cousin had his car impounded for this type of violation. He also had to spend the night in jail.
You dont get jailed for a infraction. What else did your cousin do ? In ca when i got pulled over for tinted windows last aug my tags were 2 days expired. The cop didnt ticket me for that. He did nail me for tinted front side windows. Cost me $25.00 plus i removed tint.

Last edited by steel7; 11-18-2009 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
In the Tampa Forum, Occifer gave a good and helpful response to a similar question https://www.city-data.com/forum/11621011-post31.html

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 PM

57 posts, read 848,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Thanks for clarifying that Officer . Obviously, its always good to be on the right side of The Law (and the LEO pulling you over....) . By the way, are many people talking their way out of tickets these days with LEO's for moving violations like in the olden days ?

I'm not a big ticket writer, but will write them if I have to. With the way the economy is, I try to avoid writing too many. There are a few of us out there that will tag you with three of four citations, easily totaling over $500. Renewing your registration and DL is the easiest thing to do. If you get caught with an expired one, it will cost you three times the amount than if you would have just taken care of it on time.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Jfx

2 posts, read 261,260 times
Ive got an issue. I live in NY, however I have been working all over the east coast, been here in atlanta for a month. I have just been pulled over for over a year expired tags, Florida pasco county tags, (I bought the car in fl two years ago). SO now my car is impounded, and I am needing to get it back as SOON as possible obviously, have about 1800 dollars, and I need to find out what to do and how to approach getting any kind of tag, temp or not, to get it out and drive to NY for christmas. n ANyone got advice?

EDIT: Today I have talked to a woman at the Police office, she has told me I would need to first, pay taxes for the expired tags to Florida, then fax them a receipt or show them a receipt to get my release form to bring to the Impound and have it released. .. Does this make sense? And how much am I looking at forking over and to whom, which state, for this ?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
I'm not a big ticket writer, but will write them if I have to. With the way the economy is, I try to avoid writing too many. There are a few of us out there that will tag you with three of four citations, easily totaling over $500. Renewing your registration and DL is the easiest thing to do. If you get caught with an expired one, it will cost you three times the amount than if you would have just taken care of it on time.
Question ???? As a Florida LEO Did you swear an oath to uphold the U S constitution and the State of Florida Constitution ?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:05 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Question ???? As a Florida LEO Did you swear an oath to uphold the U S constitution and the State of Florida Constitution ?

Jimminy!

Glad YOU'RE not a cop.

Do you do "Citizen's Arrests???"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida