Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissimmee_2_Georgia View Post
Panama City.... FILTHY! It is the dirtiest dump in florida, it is an example of why they call it the DIRTY south! The best(and the cleanest) 'burb would probaly be the Callaway-Parker area. It is spotless, beautiful, safe, and the people are nice. The beaches are nice, if you are looking for the best, check out the city of Laguna Beach, FL. It is in bay county, nice, quiet, and friendly. Check out Sugar Sands in Laguna Beach, it is cheap but luxurious. Lynn Haven is the red-necky part of Bay County, so stick with Callaway-Parker. Bye!
oh my. i do believe the folks here in lynn haven may take exception to thiese statements! lol

recently moved here with husband and son. we chose lynn haven area because of all the positive comments about mosley high school. so far we are very pleased with where we have rented and our sons experience at school. there are soooo many different things that i could comment on that are different here than were in ohio...but i wont waste your time unless you care to hear. i have met my fair share of red-necks here...as i had when i lived in ohio! they either make you laugh or puzzle you or make you want to pull out your hair with frustration...i thought this was just the human race in general...but some folks like to pigeon hole folks---i have found a local breakfast restaurant that serves a mean grits-eggs-&-toast meal for 2 bucks. i have seen many different kinds of people frequent this place...and i can say it has been a pure joy watching the locals and learning about the history of this place thru many different voices. i expected this move to be hard and unrewarding.
i was wrong.
yes--it IS hot at times...but the breeze off the ocean and the constantly changing weather keeps it interesting.
i find i am completely smitten with the spanish moss in the older sections of town...something that a lot of the locals dont care for. it reminds me of the "old south" that i read about in the history books.
everything is a little different--so i feel a bit like a foreigner...but most everyone has been as pleasant and open with their friendship as i care to initiate, and moreso!!
i find i am suddenly happy just being here.

ask anything you want a newbies opinion about and i will volunteer my views on them.
there are definite drawbacks to certain areas...but most places have secret surprizes that i have enjoyed discovering.
hope you find out what you need!!!
God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM

12 posts, read 32,676 times
Quote:
Panama City.... FILTHY! It is the dirtiest dump in florida, it is an example of why they call it the DIRTY south! The best(and the cleanest) 'burb would probaly be the Callaway-Parker area. It is spotless, beautiful, safe, and the people are nice. The beaches are nice, if you are looking for the best, check out the city of Laguna Beach, FL. It is in bay county, nice, quiet, and friendly. Check out Sugar Sands in Laguna Beach, it is cheap but luxurious. Lynn Haven is the red-necky part of Bay County, so stick with Callaway-Parker. Bye!
Kissimmee, you are out of your tree! Callaway and Parker rank up there with Springfield as areas in Bay County you want to avoid if you're middle class or would like to be.
Lynn Haven is one of the nicest areas to live in. The desireable areas are in and around Lynn Haven, parts of the Cove area and Highland Park in Panama City, the Beach (Panama City Beach) and Southport is coming up. Callaway and Parker stink of the mill, the shopping areas are unclean and trashy looking and the schools are Title I in most cases (serving poor families).
I've lived in this area since 1995 and am a lifelong Floridian. And I have never heard anyone refer to the South as "The Dirty South."

Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 PM

99 posts, read 203,982 times
I'm sorry to have to admit it, but "potty mouth" actually is correct about the Okaloosa County Sheriff. However, that's a problem that's reflective of a few people...the ones who got arrested. It's not reflective of the Okaloosa County area or its people.

However, I also have to agree that Panama City can be a bit dirty. Depending on what area you're in, it can be a bit rough. I'd suggest that if you decide to take that job that you commute in from the west (hwy 98) area. In fairness, there are a lot of good things about Panama City as well. Spend a few days there and look around. I think you'll find that it's actually a pretty nice area, overall.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
Default lynn haven

The information posted regarding Lynn Haven is extremely helpful, we are in swfl and relocating to lynn haven. we are middle aged empty nesters whose first love is riding the motorcycle have job looking for housing any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM

401 posts, read 558,271 times
Quote:
I disagee with Kissimmee. Lynn Haven is a very nice community. Lot of nice housing areas and shopping. Much nicer than Callaway or Parker.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 32,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper39 View Post
The information posted regarding Lynn Haven is extremely helpful, we are in swfl and relocating to lynn haven. we are middle aged empty nesters whose first love is riding the motorcycle have job looking for housing any info is greatly appreciated!!!
First, a pre-emptive Welcome to Lynn Haven!
Where you want to live really depends on what you want in terms of house size and style. If you have not found a realtor, message me for a reccomendation. Mine helped me but my house, one investment property and has helped friends of mine get what they wanted without bugging them to death
The Timbers is close to a Super WalMart, Publix, dry cleaner, sit down and fast food. The houses are fairly new, small-s=ish, and on small lots. Great if you'd rather play than clean or do yard work. Back yards are not large enough for a regular pool, though, and you will probably want one.
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods, some right on the water, of varying ages and types. Be sure to ask about flooding and about the damage the area took during the last major hurricane (Opal, 1995).
Happy Hunting!

Old 10-14-2023, 09:18 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
Panama City, FL. I pulled this thread up purposely searching for favorite restaurants and places to visit.

I am quite surprised to read in this thread regarding "dirty-filthy neighborhood". I haven't been up to Panama City or surrounding neighborhoods - Calloway/Lynn Haven since I moved away from Jackson County -Compass Lake in 2009.

By now Bay and Jackson Counties must be all cleaned up, shiny, and updated after Michael's visit. Panama City Beach is gorgeous - clear water and mini-micro white fish pecking at your legs while standing in the water.
The sand is so refined. The National Seashore Beach Park is like Florida's virginhood beach the last time I was there.

Has anyone gone to Capt. Anderson's restaurant? Have you changed your mind about "dirty-filthy neighborhood"?

Old 10-15-2023, 09:41 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
So, if my job is in Lynn Haven that I may take, how far of a drive is that from either Panama City Beach, or the "nice area" of Callaway-Parker...and by nice, do you mean stereotypical cookie cutter suburb nice, or is it more historical nice?
Lynn-Haven is quite nice, but its family-ville. Not a place for singles, or night life..the beaches would be better if you are single.

Good property tax rates along that part of FLA...especially in Walton County.

It would be helpful to know more about you, your wants, & preferences, type dwelling, price range, ect..

Old 10-15-2023, 10:23 AM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
The original post was written in 2009, so you might not get a reply. But the info is helpful, since I'm also casting a curious eye in that direction.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:05 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Panama City, FL. I pulled this thread up purposely searching for favorite restaurants and places to visit.

I am quite surprised to read in this thread regarding "dirty-filthy neighborhood". I haven't been up to Panama City or surrounding neighborhoods - Calloway/Lynn Haven since I moved away from Jackson County -Compass Lake in 2009.

By now Bay and Jackson Counties must be all cleaned up, shiny, and updated after Michael's visit. Panama City Beach is gorgeous - clear water and mini-micro white fish pecking at your legs while standing in the water.
The sand is so refined. The National Seashore Beach Park is like Florida's virginhood beach the last time I was there.

Has anyone gone to Capt. Anderson's restaurant? Have you changed your mind about "dirty-filthy neighborhood"?
2Goldens, let me know if you go to Captain Anderson’s. Back when I lived in Panama City, when that restaurant opened, it became THE place to eat. My mom was a waitress and the Patronis family, who own it, honored their heritage by putting a Greek twist on some of the dishes. I was introduced to Feta cheese and pepperoncini. Nice memories.

BTW, Florida’s Chief Financial Officer, Jimmy Patronis, is one of the owners.

I hope it is as delicious as I remember it. The seafood was so fresh—the restaurant is on the water and back in my day, boats would pull up and sell their catch right there.

Happy eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida