Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM

10 posts, read 266,282 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I Am Writing Because I Am Wondering About How Bad Are Sharks In Destin??? We Are Staying At The Holiday Surf & Racquet Club. Should I Be Worried?WE Have Kids So Thats Why I Am Really Concerned.also Do They Have A Sand Bar?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Check with the local lifeguard or ask in the front desk for the current status on marine animals. The area does have sharks (don't want to lie), so be aware. A kid die in 2005

The teenager was dragged underwater by the shark at about 11:15 a.m. in front of a campground near the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, near Destin, Florida, according to the South Walton Fire District.

The chances of shark attacks are small, ask the lifeguard they patrol the area and are always keeping an eye on the visitors and any dangers....

Kep an eye on the water...

More info:

Sharks and Swimming

Information provided by the Florida Museum on Natural History.

The relative risk of a shark attack is very small but, risks should always be minimized whenever possible in any activity. The chances of having an interaction with a shark can be reduced if one heeds the following advice:
# Always stay in groups since sharks are more likely to attack a solitary individual.
# Do not wander too far from shore --- this isolates an individual and additionally places one far away from assistance.
# Avoid being in the water during darkness or twilight hours when sharks are most active and have a competitive sensory advantage.
# Do not enter the water if bleeding from an open wound or if menstruating --- a shark's olfactory ability is acute.
# Wearing shiny jewelry is discouraged because the reflected light resembles the sheen of fish scales.
# Avoid waters with known effluents or sewage and those being used by sport or commercial fisherman, especially if there are signs of bait fishes or feeding activity. Diving seabirds are good indicators of such action.
# Sightings of porpoises do not indicate the absence of sharks --- both often eat the same food items.
# Use extra caution when waters are murky and avoid uneven tanning and bright colored clothing --- sharks see contrast particularly well.
# Refrain from excess splashing and do not allow pets in the water because of their erratic movements.
# Exercise caution when occupying the area between sandbars or near steep dropoffs --- these are favorite hangouts for sharks.
# Do not enter the water if sharks are known to be present and evacuate the water if sharks are seen while there. And, of course, do not harass a shark if you see one!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
The tampa bay area has one if not the highest shark population in the u.s....if you took a helicopter ride in the gulf, you would not let your kids in the water....

the lifeguards will have the info you need...pay attention to the signs

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
The tampa bay area has one if not the highest shark population in the u.s....if you took a helicopter ride in the gulf, you would not let your kids in the water....

the lifeguards will have the info you need...pay attention to the signs
I saw just what you are talking about. I had a friend who did traffic reports and he was always asking me if I wanted to go for a ride in his copter. The one time I went with him I could not believe it. We took a ride along the beach and there were huge shadows in the water just a few hundred yards from where people were swimming. He told me he see them everyday. I guess they just go about their business and don't bother anybody.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fehr4jesus View Post
Hello,
I Am Writing Because I Am Wondering About How Bad Are Sharks In Destin??? We Are Staying At The Holiday Surf & Racquet Club. Should I Be Worried?WE Have Kids So Thats Why I Am Really Concerned.also Do They Have A Sand Bar?? Thanks.
Shark attacks can happen anywhere in the FL coasts. It is a risk you have to take.

Honestly, be more afraid of a gator eating you while swimming in a river or lake in FL than sharks.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:59 PM

See below:

View of the beach where, according to newspaper articles, an Austrian visitor was swimming when bitten on the ankle by a shark during the summer of 2005. Note how close it is to Boca Pass, well known for its high population of sharks. Not a good place to swim, particularly if you are in more than knee-deep. Not to mention the swift currents.

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-04-2007 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 06:18 PM

40 posts, read 341,617 times
wow, sunrico, those are amazing photos!!!!!!....I showed the one w/the surfer to my son, hes a big skateboarder/surfer, and it even scared him, lol...those kinda waves make me afraid to ever get back in, lol....

thanks again for sharing that, very cool...!!!!!

(p.s. I saw a beer called Landshark at the SuperWalMart, lol...has anyone tried it??...)

Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine State View Post
wow, sunrico, those are amazing photos!!!!!!....I showed the one w/the surfer to my son, hes a big skateboarder/surfer, and it even scared him, lol...those kinda waves make me afraid to ever get back in, lol....

thanks again for sharing that, very cool...!!!!!

(p.s. I saw a beer called Landshark at the SuperWalMart, lol...has anyone tried it??...)
I found the pictures in shark web sites, not my pictures. Keep an eye open for sharks. About the beer, never had it, I like Amber, Michelob Light, and Adams...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 PM

Worldwide data, the pacific ocean is the worst area for shark attacks...

The following will take you to view real pictures of shark attacks, only for the ones that can take it...

http://www.sharkattackphotos.com/Sha...in_Florida.htm

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

40 posts, read 341,617 times
omg, Sunrico, that poor pregnant gal, wow, how sick, if the shark had bit her any higher, it could have chewed on her baby, what a narrow escape, I saw a bull shark in a river once, I had nightmares about it for a long time... Im a Corona with lime gal myself, lol...but I found the Landshark site...Cheers!...

Landshark beer:
http://www.landsharklager.com/AgeGate.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: