Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 PM

603 posts, read 443,152 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Naples from Palm Beach and have found it way less crowded in peak season and about half the price for houses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:56 AM

119 posts, read 140,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
I'll probably go back down in September to have a second look. I'm planning on renting, though, because I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a house near the beach in Florida.

I realize no area in Florida is going to be perfect, I just want to be in a place that matches up pretty well with what I'm looking for.

After reading a little more, it came to my attention that the per capita crime rate is very similar in "dangerous" Bradenton and "safe" Sarasota. If you check the stats on this website, you'll see what I mean. Why do so many people say Bradenton is so much worse? I've noticed the same thing in my city in NC, the crime rate seems comparable to Sarasota, but Sarasota looks and seems way safer. I wonder if it's because the per capita crime rate doesn't take into consideration that there are virtually no tourists in my city, but there are so many people in Sarasota, even if they are not permanent residents, that it dramatically lowers the real percentage of crime happening to the average person in Sarasota.

Also, I wonder why so many people on this board seem to hate Naples so much. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I know I said I prefer not to live around snobs, so I guess if I lived in Naples, I would have to work with the people, but I wonder if it would directly affect me that much. Where I live now, the only people I ever talk to in person are my family, the people I work with, and the cashiers at Wal-Mart, LOL. I don't like to eat out at fancy restaurants or do "social gatherings" or whatever rich people do, so I wonder if I would even notice. I generally mind my business and everybody else minds theirs where I live, so I never have any problems.

Another question, if Naples and Sanibel are both extremely rich, expensive places, why do so many people in this forum say that Naples' residents are arrogant jerks and Sanibel's residents are so nice? Wouldn't Sanibel be basically like an island for Naples-like vacationers? Is the vegetation as tropical and beautiful on Sanibel as it is in Naples?

Lastly, is Sanibel noticeably more tropical-looking than Siesta Key, and is Siesta Key noticeably more tropical-looking than Anna Maria Island?

I guess I'm looking to live in a place that's tropical like Naples, but with a friendlier, more laid back atmosphere like Anna Maria Island. Sanibel Island might match that description, I don't know, but I probably wouldn't be able to find a job there.

Please tell me what you think.

I understand that you have written off the eastern side of FL, but I would encourage you to look into Vero Beach, FL.
I have a strong inkling that you might like it.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
I understand that you have written off the eastern side of FL, but I would encourage you to look into Vero Beach, FL.
I have a strong inkling that you might like it.

10 year old thread........

And OP hasn't been back since 2011.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,422,510 times
Lol. I sometimes don’t even want to share my thoughts on these threads. Posters rarely come back to tell you what they did. I feel used. Lol!!

Old 07-05-2019, 03:33 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
North Florida is the best.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
OP

Research on this forum is good. You will learn not only the good places but the hidden issues to cope with i.e. HOA fees, CCD fees, Traffic, Hurricane, flood zones, sinkholes.

Best bet is to take a few trips in each season over a year or so to get a real boots on the ground feel.

I spent a lot of time over the years seeing Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Tampa, Naples etc. so I had a broad sensation. Never did the Panhandle and did not want us to be in too rural an area.

So, we figured in West Coast Florida and took several new home communities from Tampa to Naples until we found the one that suited us best.

Before you make a big commitment based upon forum reviews, take some trips to Florida see what really appeals to you. The major rental companies I have dealt with do not have a car rental drop off fee. So, if your trips are tighter on time i.e. you land at TPA drive south and fly out of RSW for your return flight or if you did a MIA inbound and JAX return, no drop off fees, no doubling back to return the car. Or even squeeze in time for WDW vacation and similar venues there and fly out of ORD.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Lol. I sometimes don’t even want to share my thoughts on these threads. Posters rarely come back to tell you what they did. I feel used. Lol!!

But others can see other’s comments on their experiences which makes it interesting

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 PM

119 posts, read 140,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
North Florida is the best.
yes, the panhandle

Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 AM

34 posts, read 30,358 times
Default Don’t stop posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I am grateful for all the info I find in these forums. Please don’t stop posting. Even older threads provide insight and can show how an area or topic evolves over time. I am still looking for the right location and house in the Orlando area. Doctor Phillips is still tops on my list followed by Weikva area. On my next visit, I will concentrate on the areas surrounding downtown. Biggest challenge will be finding a house with a garage under 450k in a place that doesn’t border sketchy areas.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Try Winter Park and see the new homes on realtor.com within your price range

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida