Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:56 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times

Advertisements

[quote=naraj;7979013]

If Naples is so expensive, how do regular people live there? [/QOUTE]

The problem with Naples is the cost of housing. It has always been more expensive than most other areas of Florida. Housing is way down now but I'm guessing it is still higher than the surrounding areas. Many, many people commute from Bonita/Estero/Fort Myers. The economy is based on tourism and snowbirds so the majority of employemnt is in the lower paying service industry.

Quote:
To live on Marco Island is to live in Naples, right, because you would have to go to Naples all the time, right?
No. Marco is self contained for day to day things. You would have to leave Marco to go to WalMart or Home Depot/Lowes. There is a WM on the way there and I think they are building a Lowes in that same area.

Quote:
How is the beach on Marco Island? I've heard some people say the beach is beautiful, others say it has brown water and is man-made and ugly. Which is it, or does it vary by how rainy it has been?
The beach is nice. The problem is beach access if you are not a resident or live on the beach. The beach is not man-made. They have renourished it, maybe that is what you are referring to. Storms do affect the water and beach like anywhere else. It returns to its usual state when things clear up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,981 times
I'm also looking for place in southwest FL. I didn't hear anything about Cape Coral. Does anyone have any thoughts on cape Coral?

Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadaman View Post
I'm also looking for place in southwest FL. I didn't hear anything about Cape Coral. Does anyone have any thoughts on cape Coral?
There are plenty of threads here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...pe-coral-area/

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 AM

16 posts, read 157,745 times
I'll probably go back down in September to have a second look. I'm planning on renting, though, because I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a house near the beach in Florida.

I realize no area in Florida is going to be perfect, I just want to be in a place that matches up pretty well with what I'm looking for.

After reading a little more, it came to my attention that the per capita crime rate is very similar in "dangerous" Bradenton and "safe" Sarasota. If you check the stats on this website, you'll see what I mean. Why do so many people say Bradenton is so much worse? I've noticed the same thing in my city in NC, the crime rate seems comparable to Sarasota, but Sarasota looks and seems way safer. I wonder if it's because the per capita crime rate doesn't take into consideration that there are virtually no tourists in my city, but there are so many people in Sarasota, even if they are not permanent residents, that it dramatically lowers the real percentage of crime happening to the average person in Sarasota.

Also, I wonder why so many people on this board seem to hate Naples so much. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I know I said I prefer not to live around snobs, so I guess if I lived in Naples, I would have to work with the people, but I wonder if it would directly affect me that much. Where I live now, the only people I ever talk to in person are my family, the people I work with, and the cashiers at Wal-Mart, LOL. I don't like to eat out at fancy restaurants or do "social gatherings" or whatever rich people do, so I wonder if I would even notice. I generally mind my business and everybody else minds theirs where I live, so I never have any problems.

Another question, if Naples and Sanibel are both extremely rich, expensive places, why do so many people in this forum say that Naples' residents are arrogant jerks and Sanibel's residents are so nice? Wouldn't Sanibel be basically like an island for Naples-like vacationers? Is the vegetation as tropical and beautiful on Sanibel as it is in Naples?

Lastly, is Sanibel noticeably more tropical-looking than Siesta Key, and is Siesta Key noticeably more tropical-looking than Anna Maria Island?

I guess I'm looking to live in a place that's tropical like Naples, but with a friendlier, more laid back atmosphere like Anna Maria Island. Sanibel Island might match that description, I don't know, but I probably wouldn't be able to find a job there.

Please tell me what you think.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times
SE Florida (especially the Keys) is the only place in the country with turquoise, light blue water that is never a shade of green. That says it all for me.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Yeah, the Florida Keys crossed my mind, but I don't think I'd be able to find a job. Otherwise, they would be near the top of my list of places to check out.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Marco is pretty much self-contained

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
Thanks for all the info and input, everybody.

rusty78, please let me know anything useful you find out, especially about the difference in neighborhoods in Sarasota. I plan on renting in the beginning, but I will more than likely end up in Sarasota in the end, so anything I can learn about the area would be great.

I didn't actually mean northern Sarasota was terrible, just not as nice as the rest of Sarasota. It seemed pretty safe compared to parts of my city, too, I just noticed some of the same drug addicts hanging around that I see all over the place in my city, and since I always hear people talking like Sarasota is the paradise of SW Florida, I was slightly surprised. I had three separate people knock on my hotel room door the first night I was there, looking for drugs, and it brought me back to reality that Sarasota must be far from crime-free. Still loved it, though, and I can't wait to go back.

I was surprised to find Naples so traffic-free, too. I couldn't believe it, especially after reading how the traffic is bad in winter. I promise you, though, it seemed like we had the town to ourselves. I loved it.

I guess you're right, I missed Gasparilla Island, Boca Grande and Englewood. I just added them to my list for next time. I checked the USDA growing zones, but they seem to shift every time they update them, so I'm not exactly sure what is accurate. So does that mean coconut trees, etc., will grow inland, south of Punta Gorda?

If Naples is so expensive, how do regular people live there? I'm sure there are a few. I guess they have to be very lucky. Sarasota is a little low on jobs, too, right? Does that mean anywhere smaller than Sarasota is pretty much hopeless as far as finding a decent job?

Sarasota did have more traffic than Bonita Springs and Estero, but I was surprised they had so much traffic, considering they didn't even seem like towns, more like large residential areas with no center that I saw. Too much traffic for a small suburb, IMO. They were nice, otherwise, though.

Okay, Venice is back on my list, but I get the impression it would be very hard to find a good job there. To live on Marco Island is to live in Naples, right, because you would have to go to Naples all the time, right? How is the beach on Marco Island? I've heard some people say the beach is beautiful, others say it has brown water and is man-made and ugly. Which is it, or does it vary by how rainy it has been?

Thanks again.
However, as much as Naples proper caters to the tourists/snowbirds in season, you can double that for Marco. We have a few favorite restaurants there, but although it is nice to not be so crowded in the off season, you will also find many places closed or hours curtailed particularly in the summer months.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 AM

Any idea how Weston, Florida compares to Naples? I hear Weston is nice, but if you live in Weston, you can't just live in Weston, right? Wouldn't Weston be pretty much like a large neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale, meaning you'd probably have to be in Ft. Lauderdale constantly? From everything I've heard, Weston's great, but I wouldn't like FTL. I wonder how that would work.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
Any idea how Weston, Florida compares to Naples? I hear Weston is nice, but if you live in Weston, you can't just live in Weston, right? Wouldn't Weston be pretty much like a large neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale, meaning you'd probably have to be in Ft. Lauderdale constantly? From everything I've heard, Weston's great, but I wouldn't like FTL. I wonder how that would work.
Compelled to reply, are you here?

Compelled is an active poster on here that lives in Weston.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
Tampa, or New Tampa will be cheaper for you since you want to rent. Land O lakes also.
You always can relocate again. Also jobs here are real hard to find, at least jobs which pay!
If you also want to travel, Tampa does have a great airport. I love the Beach also, however, in the summer, it is real hot, and when winter comes the people! Like living in downtown Charleston, or Hilton head! Nice to visit! Sarasota is not too far to drive to either. Get the job, then decide.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-02-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida