Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times

Advertisements

The lesson in this is simple. Don't resist arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
[url="http://www.keysnet.com/212/story/80046.html"]
Who empowers Florida police to behave the way they do? Is it a "Southern thing" ?
Is this yet another attempt at a anti-southern/florida thread?
It's really getting old.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,360 times
I strongly support the use of force when a suspect is resisting arrest. Frankly, I think police procedures are far too LENIENT, and more extensive force - even deadly - should be allowed once suspects start to resist with either violence or by flight.

Generally, the police are astonishingly patient with resisting suspects. I honestly can't believe the control they exercise on a regular basis.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:
"Smith said authorities found ammunition and weapons inside Baggett's silver Toyota four-door pickup, which was parked outside the trailer."

The rifle was in the truck, along with the ammo. The guy inside the trailer was wailing and yelling threats, not wielding a weapon.

You guys can choose to believe the blue wall of silence if you want. If the officers were so justified in shooting this suspect, why is the FDLE conducting an internal investigation into the shooting? This case is clear cut - the flat topped, good ol' boy cops went a little trigger happy...
There is ALWAYS an internal investigation when someone uses a firearm in the course of duty.

I think your "anti-Southern" bias is affecting your reading comprehension.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Is this yet another attempt at a anti-southern/florida thread?
It's really getting old.
I wish "southern" and "Florida" were more directly correlated then they are. But unfortunately, only a few parts of FL are considered "southern" anymore. So when an incident happens in S FL (especially), if someone mentions if it's a "southern thing," it really doesnt make much sense, to me atleast.

To get back on topic now, I dont think the cops did anything wrong. You resist arrest and have a rifle (that may or may have not) been pointed at an officer, I dont have a problem with what happened.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
"Smith said authorities found ammunition and weapons inside Baggett's silver Toyota four-door pickup, which was parked outside the trailer."

The rifle was in the truck, along with the ammo. The guy inside the trailer was wailing and yelling threats, not wielding a weapon.

You guys can choose to believe the blue wall of silence if you want. If the officers were so justified in shooting this suspect, why is the FDLE conducting an internal investigation into the shooting? This case is clear cut - the flat topped, good ol' boy cops went a little trigger happy...
FIRST PARAGRAPH

"A federal fugitive on the lam for almost a year was shot twice -- including once in the face -- Tuesday in Marathon after pointing an assault rifle at authorities attempting to arrest him."

Just beacause he had OTHER guns in his pickup you can not just ignore the first paragraph where it clearly states, "pointing an assault rifle at authorities "

R.I.F.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Mr Cuba,
The many posters here are just going by the link you provided. The article is CLEAR that the police were totally justified. I'm thankful none of them were hurt putting their lives on the line to keep us safe from fleeing felons.

This is the greatest country in the world....and while you have the right to your own opinion, it is clearly a minority view.

With all due respect, when I see your apparent bias against law enforcement and the southern way of life, coupled with your unique forum name, it makes me wonder.........is present day Cuba any more fair and just in dealing with their fugitives then Florida is? I think not.

Frank D.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Hey grandma, when is that next visit to Bama, can i hop in the back of the truck. It's cold here again :-(

Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Mr Cuba,
The many posters here are just going by the link you provided. The article is CLEAR that the police were totally justified. I'm thankful none of them were hurt putting their lives on the line to keep us safe from fleeing felons.
Nothing is "CLEAR" cut. The article contradicted itself. I have read this story from three (3) different sources, and the EPA cops are definitely not clear of wrongdoing yet.

I am behind our police 100%. Florida, however, has too many police, and our overgrown law enforcement bureaucracy has taken on a "paramilitary ethos" in its training and enforcement procedure. Our state government has overindulged itself in spending since the real estate boom; they spent like drunken sailors. Much of this pay went to building expensive police stations, helicopters, speed boats, and grand municipal centers that have granite counters and extravagant landscaping. Take it from someone with a grip on law enforcement reality from another state - Florida is a mecca for meat head cops and good ol' boy LEO's.

Quote:
This is the greatest country in the world....and while you have the right to your own opinion, it is clearly a minority view.
God bless America and thank you. I only wish to address this forum in a polite, exploratory manner.

Quote:

With all due respect, when I see your apparent bias against law enforcement and the southern way of life, coupled with your unique forum name, it makes me wonder.........is present day Cuba any more fair and just in dealing with their fugitives then Florida is? I think not.
Frank D.
My unique forum name belies my extreme patriotism. I am an American from the Midwest who has visited Cuba several times. In the future, I hope to sell commodities to the 13 million strong market in Cuba, mainly in the form of corn and its various byproducts. I also have a stake in several waterfront properties in Cuba, all with clear titles (nobody has ever owned them).

I am sorry if this thread impacted people the wrong way. I have seen too many people with 'minor traffic violations' in Florida get pulled over by two, three, or four squad cars. There is also an epidemic of state law enforcement officers wearing military-style 'assault boots' writing grannys traffic tickets in Miami and Boca Raton. Just an observation...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i read the article what is your point. he pointed an assault rifle at the officer.
i am sorry friend i dont understand your post at all.
tell me what is appropriate police action, is there such a thing?
next time you are attacked by a gang banger call a social worker ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida