Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:03 AM

12 posts, read 43,850 times

Advertisements

[quote=verobeach;4791847]3 times?!? Did you think it would be different each time?

We're talking about 3 times over a 15 year period. Family ties in Florida made living there tempting, but more importantly, Florida's proximity to the Caribbean was, and sometimes still is, alluring. However, willy nilly development in Florida is disgusting - it seems as if developers own the state. And I abhor the bent psycho-politics of Miami's Cuban community.

Don't get me wrong, life in Cali is an economic challenge, but the opportunities, especially educationally, for me, far outweigh its drawbacks. Community colleges charge between $12-20/unit - gosh, my tuition at San Jose State was cheaper than that of community colleges in NY (my place of origin) and Florida. I just don't see the commitment in those places to make college affordable - I came to the conclusion that many of these states truly don't want people on the bottom to lift themselves up educationally.

I agree, people have different desires and motivations depending on who and where they are in life. But for me, what I have become here, I know, could not have happened in most other places.

No, there are no Stanfords, UCBs,or UCLAs in Florida. Think about that when celebrating living in a state without income taxes.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
All of the above...
Well then clearly you haven't lived or experienced enough of Florida.

I lived in Tallahassee for three years, and while it does not snow, you do get a "change of seasons." I had to throw water on my windshield a few mornings because I didn't have an ice scraper for my car.

Meanwhile, walking on Palm Beach just two evenings ago, the sea breeze made it absolutely pleasant (oh yeah, and I could actually swim in the water. Anything less than about 75 degree water is just too damn cold to go in).

Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Wow almost 50/50 results on the poll, I wonder how many really lived or lived here who voted.....I guess we will never know.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Wow almost 50/50 results on the poll, I wonder how many really lived or lived here who voted.....I guess we will never know.
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.
And to me, North Florida is just so different from our southern part of the state.

Cal bear, that willy-nilly development you abhor can certainly be dreadful, but some of the worst examples I've ever seen of it were in SoCal, where the accompanying traffic was deplorable.

As for affordable college, fully 75% of my kid's tuition at Florida State is paid by the state of Florida because of his academic excellence.
Also, you must have heard of FAFSA? If you qualify, you'd get the help you need. I know several kids who have.
Perhaps we don't have UCLA, but University of Florida, FSU, and University of Miami represent us quite well.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:40 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I agree with the cold water up north, WAY too cold, the east coast beaches here in Florida are great. I always liked Vero Beach too...

I lived in Melbourne, Orlando, Bradenton, and here in Cape Coral. The best place I thought was Melbourne/Palm Bay. Seabreeze was always going. I hated Orlando, too congested and REALLY hot there in Winter Park. I never wanted to go north of Orlando, thought about Talahassee, but it never happened, no way would I go to Jacksonville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well then clearly you haven't lived or experienced enough of Florida.

I lived in Tallahassee for three years, and while it does not snow, you do get a "change of seasons." I had to throw water on my windshield a few mornings because I didn't have an ice scraper for my car.

Meanwhile, walking on Palm Beach just two evenings ago, the sea breeze made it absolutely pleasant (oh yeah, and I could actually swim in the water. Anything less than about 75 degree water is just too damn cold to go in).

Old 08-09-2008, 11:49 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.
And to me, North Florida is just so different from our southern part of the state.

Cal bear, that willy-nilly development you abhor can certainly be dreadful, but some of the worst examples I've ever seen of it were in SoCal, where the accompanying traffic was deplorable.

As for affordable college, fully 75% of my kid's tuition at Florida State is paid by the state of Florida because of his academic excellence.
Also, you must have heard of FAFSA? If you qualify, you'd get the help you need. I know several kids who have.
Perhaps we don't have UCLA, but University of Florida, FSU, and University of Miami represent us quite well.
Agree, the northern part of the state is different from central and south Florida. Is all based on personal choices and up north the economy and crime are not the same as down south. Great reference on FAFSA...

Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I agree with the cold water up north, WAY too cold, the east coast beaches here in Florida are great. I always liked Vero Beach too...

I lived in Melbourne, Orlando, Bradenton, and here in Cape Coral. The best place I thought was Melbourne/Palm Bay. Seabreeze was always going. I hated Orlando, too congested and REALLY hot there in Winter Park. I never wanted to go north of Orlando, thought about Talahassee, but it never happened, no way would I go to Jacksonville.

If you compare how clean the waters are in the gulf compare to the north east, we can easily say that the gulf is more attractive..

Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
crime are not the same as down south.
Once again, that is a MYTH ! Per-capita it's about the same state wide.

Total Index Crime by County, 2007

Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
If you compare the water from the EAST coast of Fl to the gulf, that is a huge difference too. The water looks so much cleaner and bluer over there from Melbourne down. I think the gulf water is pretty brown and not attractive over here. And there are about NO waves over here...

The water up in the northeast is not dirty... The sand up there is darker making it look like that. It's very clean, we don't get red tide up there ever... It's just too cold to swim in for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
If you compare how clean the waters are in the gulf compare to the north east, we can easily say that the gulf is more attractive..

Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
If you compare the water from the EAST coast of Fl to the gulf, that is a huge difference too. The water looks so much cleaner and bluer over there from Melbourne down. I think the gulf water is pretty brown and not attractive over here. And there are about NO waves over here...

The water up in the northeast is not dirty... The sand up there is darker making it look like that. It's very clean, we don't get red tide up there ever... It's just too cold to swim in for me.
I lived in Satellite beach for 4 year, Patrick AFB on the beach and the water was murky 80% of the time. I worked at cape Canaveral and the remote areas only allowed to authorized personnel did not compare to the Gulf (no tourist allowed). I lived in the area so I can tell about it.

We have a white sand in our area and is called the Emerald Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida