Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times

Advertisements

The first few years here I liked it, and there are parts I still do like(Vero Beach, Melbourne, Sebastian, Palm Bay). I used to love the shuttle launches 40 miles away, it was cool. I just never got used to the heat here. It is 10PM right now and our temperature is 84 degrees, with a 91 heat index, my weatherbug for my hometown in Massachusetts it is 62. I don't like getting up at 6AM and it is 80+ degrees out and you can swim in the air. People told me back then I would get used to it... 14 years later, I think not. I do like the beaches of Floridas EAST coast, they are really nice. It was cool when I lived in Orlando in 1995-1997, I really liked it back then, but I would not live there anymore. It is nice here from January to mid March, for the most part, but not enough for me to stay here.

I did go back up north last summer until February, then for some dumb reason I came back here. I think it was "cold shock". Not to mention my mother in law started getting bad arthritis pain, so we came back here. Well she went to NJ 2 months back, so now we are returning to Massachusetts for good. I have said enough negative things on City Data that some people on here think I'm a ?....Whatever they think. But I know this time I will be better up there.

And some people on here talk about the cost of living, here is one small example Florida is NOT cheaper. I have my car insurance at bare minimum, state required 10,000/20,000/10,000 PIP, 10,000 bodily injury. I have a PERFECT driving record, I pay $300 for 6 months here in FL. I did my quote through the big insurance company that starts with a P yesterday in Massachusetts... $142 for 6 months, AND it is for 50,000/100,000 PIP, 500,000 property, and 100,000 uninsured motorist... What is wrong with that picture?

Visit? yes, live? No, not me anyways...

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This is VERY dependent on what part of the state you are in. A lot of areas and SW and SE Florida have a very strong building code that doesn't allow wood frame, shingle roof, etc. On the other hand, they keep on building those cracker jack boxes in Orlando.
While I don't want to hijack the thread or have a "consumer complaint"...when we were considering buying in SWFL, all we ever heard about was how up to & above code builders were, etc. All fine & dandy seeing that it's a code & they have to follow it to continue to be in business. That costs money. So, we noticed time & time again how shoddy the insides were. Cheap as cheap can get. Appears they put all their effort in the outside & little to none on the inside. I don't care if you do a walk-through & punch list...I still find uneven doors, cracked laminate floors, closet doors falling off, the cheapest lighting fixture imaginable parred with even cheaper faucets, etc not to be acceptable when selling a brand new home that's never been lived in.

It is actually very, very good that the codes are at a high standard in SWFL. It's just to upgrade the new home into one that is above WalMart level is expensive.

A GOOD home in SWFL is not cheap. No GOOD home is cheap anywhere

Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
84? it`s 87 here in Orlando at 10:13 pm, the last few days have been really hot around 96.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
I think Florida is great place to visit and have a wonderful vacation. However for a young professional like myself I find the city I live in (Orlando) to be lacking in wages, culture, and career opportunities. I find that my needs would be better served in cities with diverse economies and a larger corporate presence, and so I am moving within the year to a city close to my hometown. But if you are an established professional that has been transferred from another state and making out of state money then Florida may be ideal for you if you like warm weather and beaches.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Personally, I love Florida despite the heat and all its other problems. Besides, every state has their character flaws.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Vey true! There is no perfect state or city/town... to each his/her own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Personally, I love Florida despite the heat and all its other problems. Besides, every state has their character flaws.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
BGF

57 posts, read 203,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes

Yeah, if I were rich, I'd probably spend every August in Maine.

So true.
This is my 3rd summer here, and the second one in my new home.
I really love it.
Why not August (oohhh, I used August as a verb. Fancy me.) in Montreal? It's even cooler because when I lived there, the natives were complaining about how hot 78 degrees is, and there is more to do in Montreal than in Maine.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGF View Post
Why not August (oohhh, I used August as a verb. Fancy me.) in Montreal? It's even cooler because when I lived there, the natives were complaining about how hot 78 degrees is, and there is more to do in Montreal than in Maine.
That's a great idea.
Montreal was actually already on my list of places I'd like to see.
Another idea I had was Nova Scotia.
All it takes is $.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 52,551 times
Summer here is winter everywhere else. Sitting next to the airco and getting cabin fever. Not fun.

Living here is hard. People are unfriendly (they sue for nothing) and it is expensive (wages don't keep up). But hey, we don't have a real winter. Every state has its problems. Florida too. But I live here and I will stay here. No matter what.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,374 times
[quote=TNRyan23;4765487]As a native Floridian, Florida is the worst place I've lived. I was glad to leave.

People always talk about how great the weather is, If you like 100 degrees and 90-100% humidity then it's the place for you.

If you like violent thunderstorms EVERY day during the spring, summer, and fall, it's the place for you.

If you like paying $1200 a month for rent and want to make $8 an hour IF you can find work, it's the place for you.

If you like paying thousands in homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and property taxes, it's the place for you.

REPLY: The outdoor temps/humidity you quoted are VERY rarely the ca se if you check CityData's Temp. Chart for any town in Florida. I know of no town in Florida that has a violent thunderstorm EVERY day and challenge you to prove it. If you make $8 per hour full time then you must have a limited education and if you were skilled youd find jobs --- this is true all over the USA . Homeowners insurance is rather high but mainly near the coast but is acceptable inland. Property taxes i find are extremely cheap particularly in the Panhandle (living inland) compared to Illinois and nearly every other state. I like old people and so should you ; they are filled with wisdom and represent the backbone to the Floridian economy -- do you like your Parents who are approaching old age ?

Can you as a native think of any benefits such as : A great deal of sunshine per year sometimes as much as 300 days out of 365 depending on where you live in Florida . No State Income Tax which allows you to keep more money earned . Some of the most beautiful towns and beaches in North America . Superb condition of all major roads and Interstates . Law Enforcement that are dedicated to stopping drug trafficing. Warm friendly smiles from most Tourists who bring thier money to Florida which helps the states economy so natives dont have to pay State Income Tax. A Theme Park (DisneyLand) which is known the world over . The advantage of enjoying nature and being outdoors every day if you desire . The convenience of taking a Cruise Ship from any number of points along the Coast that sail regularly to areas of paradise.

It would benefit you if you could develop an attitude of gratefulness for what you DO have and what you CAN partake in by being a native Floridian. I wish I were one but will settle for being a Transplant from the North soon.

Regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida