Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times

Advertisements

We have commenced the search for land in central/north central Florida. We live in South Florida and have done so for about 20 years.

I would like to get opinions. We plan on buying 20 + acres. Are seeking an ag exception to lower taxes and will build a residence in two/three years on 1 acre. Coming from the city, we expect certain adjustments, such as septic/well, limited Internet, being miles from amenities, etc. Being 1 - 1.5 hours to good airport is important.

Alachua county is quite lovely as is Marion. Alachua has higher taxes, however. We want to stay inland in somewhat rolling country. Any recommendations? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We have commenced the search for land in central/north central Florida. We live in South Florida and have done so for about 20 years.

I would like to get opinions. We plan on buying 20 + acres. Are seeking an ag exception to lower taxes and will build a residence in two/three years on 1 acre. Coming from the city, we expect certain adjustments, such as septic/well, limited Internet, being miles from amenities, etc. Being 1 - 1.5 hours to good airport is important.

Alachua county is quite lovely as is Marion. Alachua has higher taxes, however. We want to stay inland in somewhat rolling country. Any recommendations? Many thanks.
it is not that easy and you may have to jump through a lot of hoops. What is the reason you want 20 acres or more? What do you plan on doing agricultural wise?

From the web site for property appraisers or Florida.
http://www.fapa.net/fapafaqs.htm#ag (broken link)
------

What is an "AG" classification?
An agricultural classification is the designation of land by the property appraiser, pursuant to F.S. 193.461, in which the assessment is based on agricultural use value.

To qualify for Agricultural classification, a return must be filed with the property appraiser between January 1 and March 1 of the tax year. Only lands which are used for bona fide agricultural purposes shall be classified agricultural.

"Bona fide agricultural purposes" means good faith commercial agricultural use of the land. The property appraiser, prior to classifying such lands, may require the taxpayer or the taxpayer's representative to furnish such information as may reasonably be required to establish such lands are actually used for a bona fide agricultural purpose.

The property appraiser may deny agricultural classification to the following lands:

* Lands which are not being used for or diverted from agricultural use;
* Land that has been zoned non-agricultural at the request of the owner;
* Land on which a sub-division plat is recorded;
* Land which is purchased for a price three or more times the agricultural appraisal placed on the land.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:19 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
Excelent info from macguy. Many counties require an application to be made to the property appraiser. Here is a link to the application for Okeechobee County; I would think that most forms are similar.

Here is a link to the application for Okeechobee County:

http://www.okeechobeepa.com/forms/AgClass_DR482.pdf

Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Good faith? That is laughable.

Do you know how many acres I saw in South Fort Myers, Estero and Bonita Springs that would sit with a few cows unattended until they were bulldozed for subdivisions? It was common for these cows to wander into traffic during rush hour.

It is a common practice in southwest Florida and the government looks the other way.

Money definitely talks in Florida.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Good faith? That is laughable.

Do you know how many acres I saw in South Fort Myers, Estero and Bonita Springs that would sit with a few cows unattended until they were bulldozed for subdivisions? It was common for these cows to wander into traffic during rush hour.

It is a common practice in southwest Florida and the government looks the other way.

Money definitely talks in Florida.
They did that in Fort Lauderdale up until even a few years ago. You would see the cows looking like they were starving to death. Then read where someone from the ASPCA or something would get involved. It would always turn out to be owned by some doctor or something and the cows were for tax purposes.

There was a parcel in Oakland Park on Dixie Highway that was there till about three years ago. It sold for like ten million, mean time the owner hadn't paid any real taxes on the property for years. I used to drive by there almost everyday and would feel sorry for the poor cows, they looked awful, breathing in all those car fumes. I could see where someone may be getting away with it but I doubt a new owner would enjoy the privilege.

Last edited by macguy; 01-23-2007 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Up to October of 2005, they were still doing it and I bet they are still. I have a relative that works for an appraisal company in southwest Florida. Everyone knows about it and no one does anything about it. One of so many reasons that I left.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
Thanks for your input. Actually, we do plan to use this land for agriculture purposes and are aware of the requirments for this to happen.

The comments from others are quite true as well particularly as they pertain to larger growth areas. We live in an area known as Weston (west of Fort Lauderdale) - and yes, there are areas within a few miles where you still see cows grazing and the land qualifies as an ag exemption. And, yes, politics and money talk.

Why 20 acres? For the 10+ ag exemption and to satisfy a dream.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,193,480 times
I'd look in North Marion county. You can still find pleanty of good quality Ag land up there, of course the better quality land will command a better price. You may find that you can only build one unit to 5 acres, or even one unit to 20 acres in some rural locations. Not too much one unit to one acre in most rural areas - that would be classified as Residential Estates, or something like that.

Every county is different on their zoning and how they deal with Ag land. Other than in downtown Ocala, I doubt you would have too many issues with the Ag designation, like in any of the counties with large cities in them. There used to be some beautiful land around Wiliston - but I haven't been there for years. I hear that the developers already have their eye on Micanopy (Alachua county), and the Marion county land right around there.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Exclamation That is just wrong-

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
They did that in Fort Lauderdale up until even a few years ago. You would see the cows looking like they were starving to death. Then read where someone from the ASPCA or something would get involved. It would always turn out to be owned by some doctor or something and the cows were for tax purposes.

There was a parcel in Oakland Park on Dixie Highway that was there till about three years ago. It sold for like ten million, mean time the owner hadn't paid any real taxes on the property for years. I used to drive by there almost everyday and would feel sorry for the poor cows, they looked awful, breathing in all those car fumes. I could see where someone may be getting away with it but I doubt a new owner would enjoy the privilege.

I would like to hear about these abuses. I work with an animal rescue agency.

sunny

Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
You can find everything you want in Okeechobee County, including 1.5 hours to areas with which you're already familiar (WPB Airport, Kravis Center, etc). You don't even have to travel that far for some culture; I have tickets to the Gold Coast Opera's "Turandot" this Friday at the Sunrise Theater in Fort Pierce, only 45 minutes away.

The only thing you won't find in 'Chobee is rolling hills, which I also love. But, for us, that is more than mitigated by the fact that 'Chobee doesn't get anywhere near as cold as Alachua, etc.

I can't compare prices with those up north because of lack of data, but land prices in Okeechobee County are around $50k per acre, maybe a bit less on larger parcels. My 5 acres has a market value of around $300k.

I don't have the Ag exemption for property taxes, yet, because we're not yet producing any income from the property. I do have the intention of producing some Ag income, however, so I have been eligible for the sales tax exemptions on some of the equipment I have purchased -- small diesel tractor, implements and mini-excavator, because I'm using them to prepare for an agricultural enterprise. Our plans are to grow some daylilies, bamboo and other plants for commercial sale, probably wholesale so we don't have to be concerned about customers coming to the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida