Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 AM

20 posts, read 76,849 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Florida this summer but some of you folks make florida sound like hell on earth. My son lived in JAX while in the Coast Guard and loved it. I guess I'll look there. Don't get me wrong, I think this forum is a great idea. We are all different and have different ideas, thats what makes it interesting. Just wish I was 30 and not 57, when making the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Theres alot of bad things about Florida as youve read. Are you rich enough for a nice house and to pay the property taxes and hurricane insurance?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Relax mbbnsb. Florida is a great place to live. I'm 56 and moved here two years ago.

Florida, like any place else, is the land of the Haves and the Have-nots. What you read here is the have-nots whining about what the Haves have.

Come on down... You'll be glad you did!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Let me put it this way: "Living in Florida is whole different ball game than vacationing in Florida..."

Now, you will become one of us, on the way to work between 7 and 9 am wondering why all these people who you can't even see in the car are up driving somewhere, quite slow, I might add, while we are trying to get to our jobs so we can pay our windstorm insurance...making a right turn from the 4th far left lane, again, no sign of human activity viewable in the vehicle...(this is no lie, I actually watched it happen when I used to live in Ft. Laud)...Don't even bother getting a serving job (restaurants used to be where it's at for tips)....you WILL NOT MAKE ANY MONEY ON THE TOURISTS...they are on the earlybird/budget plan this year!!! ok god, I could go on....You can no longer sneak your non-resident family members in on resident passes...last time I was up in Otown, they were taking your handprint/fingerprints for admission...driving on I-4, can either be really scary or really fun....depends on how agressive your driving is!

You will not like this ball game once you're part of this team!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 PM

238 posts, read 668,924 times
I use to be in the Coast Guard in Miami in the 80's ooops spelling my age here... it was cool then and alot less expensive. I had lived in FLorida most of my life and loved it,but it just go toooo expensive for the average working middle class Floridian. I know we make fun of Florida on here but most of us really liked or miss what we use to have there and just can't stand it being turned upside down costs, building, traffic, heat, etc, etc, etc. So we changed and or are going in a different direction as you can see don't take us wrong alot us were living in the Old Florida for a long time but that has changed and we just have to accept it. Happy Holidays and smooth sailing.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
mbbnsb
I have been in Jax for almost 15 years. We are only leaving due to a job transfer if it wasn't for that there would be no way I would leave.
I agree with vero beach come on down !!!
Karla

Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,736 times
There you have it. Florida is not for the middle class anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Relax mbbnsb. Florida is a great place to live. I'm 56 and moved here two years ago.

Florida, like any place else, is the land of the Haves and the Have-nots. What you read here is the have-nots whining about what the Haves have.

Come on down... You'll be glad you did!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,843 times
Florida has its problems. I think in many ways its harder for people with a younger family. The schools are a mess and overcrowded and Florida IS expensive. And no, I'm not a "have not" complaining about what I don't have. We live a middle class lifestyle, but find we are being squeezed by the cost of living in Florida while trying to plan for our children's future, and our retirment. At one time Florida was inexpensive. With the rise of the cost of living comes other problems (crime is one of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbnsb View Post
I am planning to move to Florida this summer but some of you folks make florida sound like hell on earth. My son lived in JAX while in the Coast Guard and loved it. I guess I'll look there. Don't get me wrong, I think this forum is a great idea. We are all different and have different ideas, thats what makes it interesting. Just wish I was 30 and not 57, when making the move.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Exaggerations aside (people tend to exaggerate), like most everywhere else now, you really need to have an adequate level of wealth and income - and then some - both before you arrive and while you live here if you expect to maintain or improve on your current lifestyle.

With a family member to help you learn the ins and outs of a particular area, not to mention the value of being with someone whom you love, you will be that much better off.

All the best.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:48 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbnsb View Post
I know what you mean, mbbnsb. I live in Florida and many of the posts on here scare me!
From what I've read, I do agree with ARC. I think it's much easier for people with no children.
Good luck with your search and your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida