Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 05:57 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
No idea.... lying to paint an agenda, maybe they have a ton of claim history and found an insurance company willing to insure them at a high rate, maybe they have a really low credit score or have a history of missing payments and this was the way to get insurance? I don't know anyone paying $9,200 year for insurance, yet alone someone with a $300k house. One of my friend's is paying $2k and his house value right now is around $400-450k.
I know of 1 person w/ a double wide whose home may be worth only $300k, but its 1 mile to the beach, so it may be worth more. I don't know anyone else w/ a home worth <$450k.

I know 1 person paying >$9,000/yr in homeowners insurance, & she owns a $3M+ oceanfront condo in the heart of Boca Raton.

This is a media hit job that is politically motivated since Trump and DeSantis reside in FLA. And, FLA's taking Billions in taxable revenues from NY, NJ, CT, MA, IL, MI, MN, WI, CA when theri residents move here. This is an attempt to slow the flow.

I wish the FLA State insurance commissioner would come out w/ accurate data to debunk this propaganda attack.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-07-2024 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 06:26 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Here are the average costs for home insurance in Florida per Forbes on 3/06/24. These numbers seem a bit low to me. My house is worth about $450k and it's in one of the safer areas of the state (inland near the middle of the state) and about 22 years old, and I pay a little over $3,000 per year.

Average Home Insurance Costs for $500,000 Dwelling Coverage
Company Average Home Insurance Cost In Florida
Progressive
$1,438
Tower Hill
$1,477
Universal Insurance
$1,481
State Farm
$1,733
Chubb
$2,051
Allstate
$2,111
Armed Forces Insurance Exchange
$2,584
Florida Peninsula Insurance
$3,318
Citizens Property Insurance Corp.
$4,450
Source: Quadrant Information Services

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeo...ers-insurance/

Old 04-07-2024, 07:29 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Why doesn't texas have as high of car insurance and home insurance as florida when they get a lot if flooding and prone to hurricanes too.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:36 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Chas863's post confirms my assertion that the $9,200 average annual premium for FLA being trotted out all across the Internet is a political hit job...propaganda.

Well played Chas!

Old 04-07-2024, 08:48 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Why doesn't texas have as high of car insurance and home insurance as florida when they get a lot if flooding and prone to hurricanes too.
1. Main reason will be the laws allowing for larger payouts which creates a lot of lawsuit incentives. Never seen so many "Have you been injured in an accident" ads anywhere else in the country. Want to make insurance expensive in a hurry? Add lawyers to the mix.

2. Texas hurricane risk is way less, even on the coast and much of the state population is nowhere near the coast. Once you get a fair distance from the coast the hurricane strength drops rapidly.

P.S. Hurricane risk in Florida is drastically lower north of tampa\orlando not out on the panhandle. Has to do with how the winds and land work...like a warped bowling alley lane.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
This is a media hit job that is politically motivated since Trump and DeSantis reside in FLA. And, FLA's taking Billions in taxable revenues from NY, NJ, CT, MA, IL, MI, MN, WI, CA when theri residents move here. This is an attempt to slow the flow.
Yep, completely agree! They once saw Florida turning into a blue state and instead saw it turn red and now are trying everything, they can to make it seem like that was a big mistake when in fact, Florida has never been better, and many blue states are deteriorating.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:52 PM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
I see this mentioned a lot on here - Exactly which blue states are deteriorating? What metric are we using to determine deterioration? State GDP, per capita income, educational attainment, retirees moving down? Office relocations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yep, completely agree! They once saw Florida turning into a blue state and instead saw it turn red and now are trying everything, they can to make it seem like that was a big mistake when in fact, Florida has never been better, and many blue states are deteriorating.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:00 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
I see this mentioned a lot on here - Exactly which blue states are deteriorating? What metric are we using to determine deterioration? State GDP, per capita income, educational attainment, retirees moving down? Office relocations?
^^THis is an excellent question and very fair point.

There will of course be a litany of reasons as to why someone moves to another state.

Heck, I moved from a red state to a blue state in recent years, my reason was family. (I personally hate those stupid terms but trying to keep in the spirit of the thread...sigh.)

Now, that all being said both NY and CA have been proposing EXIT taxes. Now, we can point to any number of metrics that we want like you mentioned above but when a state starts trying to claw money out of people that move? Yeah, you better be paying attention to how things are going. That's not normal.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:55 PM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
Thrilled to see a rare post that contains thought and logic. Thank you!

I’m not a fan of blanket statements, especially if they are low on data and high on conjecture. I think many forget just how many lurkers stumble upon their posts…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^THis is an excellent question and very fair point.

There will of course be a litany of reasons as to why someone moves to another state.

Heck, I moved from a red state to a blue state in recent years, my reason was family. (I personally hate those stupid terms but trying to keep in the spirit of the thread...sigh.)

Now, that all being said both NY and CA have been proposing EXIT taxes. Now, we can point to any number of metrics that we want like you mentioned above but when a state starts trying to claw money out of people that move? Yeah, you better be paying attention to how things are going. That's not normal.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:07 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Travel… from my personal experience, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, NYC were all better pre-covid. Meanwhile, I think cities here have never been better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida