Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 08:50 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times

Advertisements

Suze's $28k/year condo insurance policy is only for the interior of her unit, from the drywall inward. Flooring, walls, interior fixtures, interior doors and trim, interior plumbing and electrical, appliances and furnishings.

The condo association has a separate insurance policy which covers the buildings, including the roof, exterior walls, balconies, elevators, stairwells, windows, exterior AC units, parking garage, gutters, electrical and plumbing that is not inside a unit, halls, common areas, etc.

Condo association building/common area insurance policy increases are causing the condo associations to increase the monthly condo maintenance fees for all owners. Suze has to pay her share of the condo association fees which covers the building insurance (and other things), regardless if she chooses to go bare on her 'inside the walls' insurance for her individual unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 09:04 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Suze's $28k/year condo insurance policy is only for the interior of her unit, from the drywall inward. Flooring, walls, interior fixtures, interior doors and trim, interior plumbing and electrical, appliances and furnishings.

The condo association has a separate insurance policy which covers the buildings, including the roof, exterior walls, balconies, elevators, stairwells, windows, exterior AC units, parking garage, gutters, electrical and plumbing that is not inside a unit, halls, common areas, etc.

Condo association building/common area insurance policy increases are causing the condo associations to increase the monthly condo maintenance fees for all owners. Suze has to pay her share of the condo association fees which covers the building insurance (and other things), regardless if she chooses to go bare on her 'inside the walls' insurance for her individual unit.

That makes the $28,000 EVEN WORSE.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is misleading, as it’s not some small condo worth 400k. This is in Hillsboro Beach, a super wealthy enclave where these condos are worth millions. Additionally, it’s oceanfront.

28k is still quite a lot, but wouldn't be so eye popping if these facts were part of the original post.
Very misleading because condo associations should have insurance to cover the building itself, however, it is possible she is including her share of the increase in cost the condo association has to pay for that insurance. I live in a condo association but not on the water or even near it and our condo association insurance for 16 buildings of 2 units each increased substantially and we had to put on a $150/month surcharge. We decided instead of increasing the condo fees to do a surcharge so that it just doesn't get forgotten and can be adjusted up or preferably down. My own insurance is under $700 (although we might be underinsured) so this increases it to roughly $2500 a year.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:52 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Glad they are charging more for oceanfront rather than billing me for it. Why should I pay for Floridians taking the hurricane and erosion risks.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:18 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Very misleading because condo associations should have insurance to cover the building itself, however, it is possible she is including her share of the increase in cost the condo association has to pay for that insurance...
Doubtful that she is including her share of the condo association's "building" insurance because she said she's going to go bare(not get insurance).

Condo owners must pay their share of the condo association insurance because it's part of the monthly maintenance fee that all condo owners must pay, else they get foreclosed on by the condo association.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Suze's condo is a 2 bedroom, 2100 heated sq feet home. We can agree to disagree on what is a "sprawling" home; however never ever have I seen a 2 bedroom, 2100 sq foot real estate listing described as "sprawling".

I did not word anything to mislead anyone. $28,000 is an outrageous premium for a 2100 sq foot 2 bedroom condo whether oceanfront or not.

Yes, condo prices are falling in Florida. Which is what I said in my post.
It's sprawling - my 3 bdrm house was only 1,000 sg ft. Take a virtual tour of the one going for 2.1 million with an HOA fee of $2141 a month.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=wV8bCRpM2Np

Old 03-06-2024, 05:11 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It's sprawling - my 3 bdrm house was only 1,000 sg ft. Take a virtual tour of the one going for 2.1 million with an HOA fee of $2141 a month.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=wV8bCRpM2Np
Exactly. A 2 bedroom condo that’s nearly 2500 square feet? That’s huge.

Old 03-06-2024, 05:27 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Here's an idea. If you don't wanna pay the big bucks for insurance, don't buy the fancy ocean front condo.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:52 AM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Here's an idea. If you don't wanna pay the big bucks for insurance, don't buy the fancy ocean front condo.
Yes, we are all crying in our coffee over it...

Old 03-06-2024, 08:28 AM

7,738 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually it does exist.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Generally price gouging may rear its ugly head in the setting of post-natural or other disasters in an area where services and supplies are ( temporarily, one would hope) virtually nonexistent.
Incorrect. When a seller raises prices to meet demand, that is not price gouging. That is raising prices to meet demand. Economies use the price system to allocate scarce resources.

IN FACT, as you can see from the above chart, the increase in price is 100% attributable to buyers, not to sellers.

Quote:
I recall one of these lowlife price gougers standing on a street corner in our neighborhood shortly after hurricane Andrew in 1992 selling 5 lb bags of ice for $15 each, at a time when the going price was less than a dollar for the ice.
If you - you personally, Travelassie - wanted to buy ice, you were free to offer the seller $1 for a bag, and he was free to accept or decline it.

Indeed, the seller would have been faced with "The Streetwalker's Dilemma" in economics: take your offer of $1, or wait in hopes someone else would offer more. And just as the value of the streetwalker's "goods" decline as the night progresses towards morning, so also does his bag of ice decline in value because it is melting.

Should that seller wait until the ice has melted, stubbornly refusing an offer of $1 per bag?

And, if a buyer says, "I'd willingly pay $20 for ice - this guy is selling it for a mere $15" and buys a bag, both the seller and the buyer are better off. No one is worse off.

There is no price gouging. There is no such thing as price gouging.

[quote=Travelassie;66495236]
At the same time, out of towners and others looking to make a hefty profit on the misery of others bought out every chainsaw they could find ( where they were available), brought them to the area and were selling them for way over the going price ( don't recall exactly what that was).

Incorrect again. Those out-of-towners were selling them at the going price, not at over the going price. Any price above the going price is met with crickets - no buyer will buy that chainsaw for $1000 if the going price is $100.

Those enterprising out-of-towners were risking their capital. They took their savings and bought chainsaws, transported them at their own expense, and sold them to willing buyers.

IN FACT, as you can see from the above chart, the increase in price is 100% attributable to buyers, not to sellers.

Quote:
Or the gas station owner who had gotten a shipment of fuel and was selling that at greatly inflated prices.
Not price gouging. The seller is merely responding to the desires of buyers.

Quote:
What left-leaning folks are labeling "price gouging" isn't really that. They're calling the increased prices for grocery, supplies and services "price gouging" to deflect the blame for the inflation and supply chain issues from their real cause, the policies of the Biden administration to the business owners. Seems that label likely came from the official leftist "spinners" who control the narrative that's passed along to their minions for regurgitation, because you hear it all over the main stream media, and others who fancy themselves " in the know".

I agree. When a government engages in a $5 Trillion helicopter drop, what could possibly go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida