Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 09:30 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

same rules they have for camping....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 03:14 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm-1995 View Post
Classic Florida: "Let’s pass a draconian policy but not actually fund the enforcement of said policy, and instead pawn the responsibility off on local government."

If the state thinks it's such a problem, they should fund the solution.

The State lays out the framework of high level policies/laws of what will be prohibited, or allowed. Enforcement is almost always left up to the local authorities...that is standard operating procedure.

DeSantis used the same methods in dealing with covid, and it worked well.

If its not broke, don't fix it.

We don't need massive State debt, like they have up North by trying to centralize everything.

One reason Millions are flocking to FLA because they like the way things are done here. They're voting with their feet.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:33 PM

17 posts, read 12,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
But then they'd have to use all that massive surplus money the governor keeps boasting about, instead of wasting it on busing Texas immigrants to Martha's Vineyard.
I think it was only one bus to Martha's Vineyard which the locals promptly kicked them out!

Old 03-26-2024, 04:43 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlabs View Post
I think it was only one bus to Martha's Vineyard which the locals promptly kicked them out!
I was there that day. Liberal media was everywhere asking to interview me as a Florida resident visiting the Blue bastion of wealth.

PM me and I'll send you pics...if attachments are allowed.

I told them to save their time...their station would never air the interview. My words don't fit their agenda.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:26 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlabs View Post
They weren't "promptly kicked out." They were given food, blankets, brought inside, a few were treated with medical attention for illness, and arrangements were made to have them transported to places where they could receive better care - since no one at Martha's Vineyard was informed that a bus was coming, and they hadn't any chance to make arrangements there.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:04 AM

22 posts, read 3,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The State lays out the framework of high level policies/laws of what will be prohibited, or allowed. Enforcement is almost always left up to the local authorities...that is standard operating procedure.

DeSantis used the same methods in dealing with covid, and it worked well.

If its not broke, don't fix it.

We don't need massive State debt, like they have up North by trying to centralize everything.

One reason Millions are flocking to FLA because they like the way things are done here. They're voting with their feet.
I believe in strong levels of centralization, so I don't think you're gonna appeal to me in this way. That's probably the part of living down here I detest the most, and it infuriates me that people believe it's effective or desirable. I also think very lowly of the people who come here seeking it out.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:42 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
They weren't "promptly kicked out." They were given food, blankets, brought inside, a few were treated with medical attention for illness, and arrangements were made to have them transported to places where they could receive better care - since no one at Martha's Vineyard was informed that a bus was coming, and they hadn't any chance to make arrangements there.
They were kicked out. Typical of wealthy liberals. They voice their support for homeless tents, crime, etc... yet hide behind their 10 foot walls with private security.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:57 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm-1995 View Post
Classic Florida: "Let’s pass a draconian policy but not actually fund the enforcement of said policy, and instead pawn the responsibility off on local government."

If the state thinks it's such a problem, they should fund the solution.

Apparently you ( and your fellow DeSantis critics) either didn't read, or ignored the statements that the state plans to fund the mandates in the new bill that provide for the basic needs, and security at the existing homeless shelters, and has designated the FL Dept of Children and Families (DCF) to oversee the creation and running of alternative sites where homeless can go once the homeless shelters have reached their capacity. Provisions include mental health, programs to address other needs of the homeless, and to date, the state has earmarked 30 million dollars for this effort. What's left up to each local government is how to implement the provisions of the bill, in ways they see fit as best for their communities. The bill also stipulates that the use of illegal drugs and alcohol be prohibited at these locations

Nobody said it would be easy, and and it may not be a perfect solution, but it looks as though, from the articles I unearthed via a Google search, even DeSantis' most vocal antagonizers have to admit that it's at least a good faith effort at trying to do *something* ( that might even help the folks who want help) about the growing homeless problem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...5/73050619007/

https://www.news-press.com/story/opi...s/73046944007/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida