Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:45 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times

Advertisements

I find myself having 'senior moments' where I post links someone else already posted. So don't feel too badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 03:49 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'm seeing that a replacement license is $25. But I'm not seeing where it says a change of address requires a replacement license. In Connecticut, you'd file the change of address with proof of the new address, and they'd give you a sticker with your new address, to put on the back of your current license. When that one expires, you get a renewal, with the new address already on it. I don't recall there ever being any fee at all for a change of address, up there.

It doesn't work that way here? How - inefficient.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:43 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
FLA has the 3rd highest cost to own a car:

https://www.insurance.com/total-cost-of-ownership

I agree that Gov DeSantis could work to bring this down. The state is swimming in surplus cash, so why not return some of it to its residents? (but not just those who buy cars here).

Old 08-02-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
FLA has the 3rd highest cost to own a car:

https://www.insurance.com/total-cost-of-ownership

I agree that Gov DeSantis could work to bring this down. The state is swimming in surplus cash, so why not return some of it to its residents? (but not just those who buy cars here).
According to that article:
Quote:
For example, Florida residents currently pay the highest rates in the country, with the average car insurance premium running $2,517, while drivers in Ohio are only paying $996, which is a shocking difference of $1,521 every year.
I just checked my policy. We're paying $1445 per year - for TWO vehicles. My car is $600-something and hubby's pickup truck is $800-something (I don't recall the exact numbers, just the total). I doubled the six-month bill to get the yearly result.

Neither of us make payments. Hubby did, when he first bought the truck in 2015. He paid it off five years later. I paid in full for mine upon receipt, in 2010.

So according to that article, we're paying more than $1000 less per year for -two- cars, than the average is for -one- car.

I'll go ahead and say - that article is using flawed data, or is extrapolating the wrong conclusions from correct data.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:38 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Like Ghatti, my car insurance cost experience in FLA, doesn't jive with the article either.

We're paying about the same as you for 2 cars, but we don't have car loans, so maybe that's the catch...the banks force lenders to carry lots of costly coverage.

We'd need to see a lot more data from the OP's source to see their methodology.

There might have been a short term spike, after the Ian losses, & this source is using that spike as their example.

Even though FLA car fees are higher, I still feel FLA's cheap to live overall, when all of our living costs are aggregated.

Millons agree with me, based upon FLA's net domestic migration stats provided by the US Census Bureau.

Old 08-04-2023, 05:48 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
According to that article:

I just checked my policy. We're paying $1445 per year - for TWO vehicles. My car is $600-something and hubby's pickup truck is $800-something (I don't recall the exact numbers, just the total). I doubled the six-month bill to get the yearly result.

Neither of us make payments. Hubby did, when he first bought the truck in 2015. He paid it off five years later. I paid in full for mine upon receipt, in 2010.

So according to that article, we're paying more than $1000 less per year for -two- cars, than the average is for -one- car.

I'll go ahead and say - that article is using flawed data, or is extrapolating the wrong conclusions from correct data.
What insurance do you have and do you have full coverage? We have one 11 year old car . We pay almost $1600 a year for our car insurance. No teens, tickets, accidents, and have an excellent credit rating. Oh, and of course the car is paid off so no loan.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
What insurance do you have and do you have full coverage? We have one 11 year old car . We pay almost $1600 a year for our car insurance. No teens, tickets, accidents, and have an excellent credit rating. Oh, and of course the car is paid off so no loan.
Allstate. A 2010 Scion and a 2015 Pickup truck (I don't remember the brand, hubby drives it). We have it all bundled with two golf carts (both gas, one 2016 Yamaha, one 2018 Club car). No accidents, teens, tickets, excellent credit rating, we're both seniors, we take every discount they offer us including making use of Drivewise which gives us an additional 10%. Collision, comprehension, moderate deductible, glass coverage, in Central Florida.

We're also long-time customers, we had homeowners insurance with them for 25 years when we lived up north. We'd have it down here too except they don't offer it on manufactured homes.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Allstate. A 2010 Scion and a 2015 Pickup truck (I don't remember the brand, hubby drives it). We have it all bundled with two golf carts (both gas, one 2016 Yamaha, one 2018 Club car). No accidents, teens, tickets, excellent credit rating, we're both seniors, we take every discount they offer us including making use of Drivewise which gives us an additional 10%. Collision, comprehension, moderate deductible, glass coverage, in Central Florida.

We're also long-time customers, we had homeowners insurance with them for 25 years when we lived up north. We'd have it down here too except they don't offer it on manufactured homes.
I have had Allstate for 50 years. We have an 850 credit rating, only 1 car on the policy. Only driven by me. Also a senior and have full coverage. I don' t have drive wise because it tracks every move. I guess it must be location and driving on I-95 that makes mine more expensive. Oh, I also have a very low deductible. We can't bundle insurance because not available here on the coast.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:36 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I last paid the 6-month installment on my car insurance back in March (State Farm) and noticed it had gone up from ~$575 to about $700, but my insurance agent pointed out that I had one of those Kias (2021 model) that was being targeted by the knotheads on TikTok for one of their 'challenges'. Sure enough, that very day there was a story on the local news that talked about the increases. She claimed it was a short-term thing, that once the morons moved on to some other 'challenge' (eating deodorizing cakes out of urinals or whatever) the rates would equalize for these makes/models. Insurance agents are not known for their veracity, but I guess the moment of truth will be when my bill arrives in the next month or so.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:54 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Way cheaper here than Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida