Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 01:02 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
1. Most Floridians either come from somewhere else, or their parents came from somewhere else. There aren't very many 4th generation Floridians living in Florida.

2. Florida is where many northerners come to retire. Not because there's something "wrong" with their home state, but because the warmer weather means no need to shovel snow, or worry about their car not starting, or accidents on ice in the winter. They can play golf all year. This is true, and has been true, since the 1950's.

[Mod cut: "you" is personal]
Weather's only 1 factor, & its uncontrollable. The other factors are controllable, & are caused by people...

Americans are moving into low tax states at a faster rate than they are moving into high tax states. This fact is shown by the Census Bureau:

https://taxfoundation.org/state-popu...%20Van%20Lines.

Same goes for high crime; reports Gallup, & high crime drives up security & insurance costs:

https://www.newsweek.com/why-america...states-1795292

And, the same goes for high cost of living:

https://dsnews.com/news/01-03-2023/a...n%20a%20decade.

Too many Northerners decide on bad policies, & then when they become untenable, they flee to places that have better policies...like Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 04:08 AM

3,139 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I blame those who destroying the cities & states they lived in so badly, that millions of them fled NY, NJ, PA, CT MI, IL, MA, MN, CA to FLA

They drove up demand for everything, which increased our prices here in Florida, especially for housing.

They are like a plague of locusts that destroy the habitat everywhere they go.

I'm okay with it though, because they doubled the value of my home in the pst 5 yrs.

So the law of economic equilibrium may remedy the problem.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:16 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
[/b]

It's also doubled the value of all the houses he might move into, if he ever decides to move elsewhere in his area of Florida.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:22 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
So, all those people whom Floridians have been encouraging to move there will pile into the state, sending housing prices skyrocketing, sending the prices of everything else skyrocketing as well, sending crime up, homelessness up, making traffic intolerable, and taxes will inevitable go up with all those new people clamoring for public services, coupled with sky-high homeowners insurance prices due to millions more houses being in hurricanes' paths, and so on, and so forth. And this is what you're bragging about?

Meanwhile, the Connecticuts and Minnesotas of the world will settle into their nice, stable existences, with plenty of cold and snow to scare off the wimps, very few woodlands and farms getting ploughed over by new subdivisions, and the stability will lower crime (the Northeast already has the lowest crime rates in the US) and generally make those places calm and genteel compared to the tropical chaos Florida will become. You just have to put up with high taxes. It's either that or pay high homeowners insurance.
Quote:
Weather's only 1 factor, & its uncontrollable. The other factors are controllable, & are caused by people...

Americans are moving into low tax states at a faster rate than they are moving into high tax states. This fact is shown by the Census Bureau:

https://taxfoundation.org/state-popu...%20Van%20Lines.

Same goes for high crime; reports Gallup, & high crime drives up security & insurance costs:

https://www.newsweek.com/why-america...states-1795292

And, the same goes for high cost of living:

https://dsnews.com/news/01-03-2023/a...n%20a%20decade.

Too many Northerners decide on bad policies, & then when they become untenable, they flee to places that have better policies...like Florida.
BTW, weather is controllable: You can control the weather you experience by moving.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:11 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
[/b]

Depends upon my time frame to sell, and move elsewhere.

I'm up big right now, but there are now guarantees.

An employee of mine's Mother passed and left him her home in San Fran she bought for $400k in the early 70's, & now its worth $2.5M. Florida could see that kind of valuation growth.

My $550k home could be worth $3.5M in 20 yrs., so I'm not selling.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:16 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Depends upon my time frame to sell, and move elsewhere.

I'm up big right now, but there are now guarantees.

An employee of mine's Mother passed and left him her home in San Fran she bought for $400k in the early 70's, & now its worth $2.5M. Florida could see that kind of valuation growth.

My $550k home could be worth $3.5M in 20 yrs., so I'm not selling.
Correct, but with Bidenflation that 3.5 million in 20 years won't be like it is now. 400k home in the early 70s worth 2.5 million now also seems about right.

400k for a house in the early 70s was major $$$. a 400k house in the early 70s here in FL would be worth that too easily and in a lot of other states. I think my parents paid only 30k for their first house around 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida