Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 04:10 PM

140 posts, read 111,008 times

Advertisements

Article.

Quote:
An 11-month-old baby girl has died after being left in a car for three hours while her parents attended a Florida church service, police said.

Police in Palm Bay responded Sunday around 1 p.m. to a report of an unresponsive infant in a vehicle.

"When they arrived, they learned the infant had been left in a car for approximately three hours while the parents went to the church service," the Palm Bay Police Department said in a statement.

The infant was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced deceased, police said Tuesday. A police department spokesperson did not have the time of death available.

No arrests have been made in the case at this time and the investigation is ongoing, police said.

"This is an unfortunate incident, and our condolences and prayers go out to the family," Palm Bay Police Chief Mario Augello said in a statement.

Palm Bay is located about 75 miles southeast of Orlando. The temperature in the city around midday Sunday was in the high 70s.

The temperature inside a car can exceed 115 degrees when the outside temperature is just 70 degrees, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In 2022, 33 children died of heatstroke in vehicles, according to the NHTSA.
Damn it, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 07:00 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySipowicz View Post
Article.

Damn it, people.
It happens at least once a year in at least one of the southern states.

I believe there is a statute in Florida about third-degree murder child abuse/neglect.

In any case, based on the information in the report, if accurate, the parents should be prosecuted; there is no excuse for this in my view.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
I think new parents should be able to pass some basic IQ test before they allowed to be parents.... It should be mandatory!

Few months ago entire Florida got Amber Alert (not the test one lol) - a child was abducted.... while sleeping in the car... on the driveway.... by himself... Car got stolen with child in it... Child was found and everything was ok... Really hope parents got visit from child protection services after that. Some parents have no business to be in charge of minors

Old 06-02-2023, 09:47 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I think new parents should be able to pass some basic IQ test before they allowed to be parents.... It should be mandatory!

Few months ago entire Florida got Amber Alert (not the test one lol) - a child was abducted.... while sleeping in the car... on the driveway.... by himself... Car got stolen with child in it... Child was found and everything was ok... Really hope parents got visit from child protection services after that. Some parents have no business to be in charge of minors
Nice thought but they allow 18 year old's to buy guns with no license or training, at least the parents have to have a license if their married ....

Old 06-02-2023, 10:16 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
A baby in my town in Alabama died recently after the Dad left him in the car all day while he was working. He's in jail and facing a murder charge.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:28 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
As a parent, I don't comprehend what engagement, job, appointment or WHATEVER that supersedes the safety of your child.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:34 AM

731 posts, read 766,934 times
This was not one parent that "forgot". This was two! They should be charged with murder.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:46 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I think this shows how important in the parent's "present minds" their children are to them.

May sound harsh, but it's reality.

People have tons on their mind today, but it is a choice to keep that which is most important, near and dear to your heart, at the top of your mind and always on it.

I just could not imagine making such a stupid, deadly mistake.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:49 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
My persian friend went into the store and left his baby in the car seat because the baby went to sleep in the car

Old 06-02-2023, 02:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 663,047 times
I hate these stories and cannot comprehend why we see them repeated year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida