Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 10:21 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in Miami, we would road trip to East Tennessee and rent a cabin in the Smokies near Gatlinburg. Its where I first saw snow at 15 years old. Learnt to ice skate (indoor rink lol) and ski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 11:39 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Canadian Rockies, the most beautiful place in North America.

Banff especially.
Agree! Everyone always told me Milford Sound in New Zealand was pretty, but it can't hold a candle to Banff!

Old 05-17-2023, 08:58 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Agree! Everyone always told me Milford Sound in New Zealand was pretty, but it can't hold a candle to Banff!
Is Banff good year round?

Old 05-20-2023, 11:07 AM

455 posts, read 670,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
We used to go to western NC near Franklin for a week or two in the summers. But we also visited a bit further north in NC, near Boone, and loved all those places. We did take a trip west one year out west, to Colorado and Wyoming to spend some time in the Rocky mountains, and visited Devil's Tower and the Badlands in South Dakota during that trip. I'd love to go back out there, see the Rockies one more time, but I'm doubtful we will ever get there at this point.

For Floridians who don't want to travel all that far to visit the mountains, there is also northern GA, around Helen. It's beautiful there.
We just got back from Helen. It was a very nice getaway and beautiful area to drive and hike.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:39 AM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
We have a place in the Northeast Georgia Mountains outside of Helen.

About every 3rd license plate in the area is from Florida. Many Floridians vacation around here and Highland-Cashiers, NC in very nice gated communities.

No reason to go to any farther into Western NC.

My sister hangs in Banner-Elk in a $1.5 million to $4 million neighborhood with its own 4,500' landing strip--an equestrian neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I can't say with certainty... I was up there in July.... beautiful weather... Hubby was working up there in Calgary and said without a doubt it was one of the coldest winters he'd ever spent in his life... LOL

Old 05-20-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
We just moved here to Florida from Blairsville...

Old 05-21-2023, 06:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Any place that gets that amount of snow is going to have a spring mud season, which is not pleasant if you’re a hiking or mountain biking sort.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post

About every 3rd license plate in the area is from Florida. Many Floridians vacation around here and Highland-Cashiers, NC in very nice gated communities.

No reason to go to any farther into Western NC.

My sister hangs in Banner-Elk in a $1.5 million to $4 million neighborhood with its own 4,500' landing strip--an equestrian neighborhood.
I've been to Helen several times daytrippeding from Big Canoe, GA (a huge master planned mountain community 1 hr North of Atlanta) where we owned a condo. Helen's German village theme's is a bit hokie, but the women & children love it. I've heard there's good Rainbow Trout fishing near Helen, & the foothills are visually interesting.

Even though we were not up on a mountain, the temps in Big Canoe were still 8 degrees cooler that Hotlanta, and the lush Green topography was soothing, & I see Helen as being similar.

I'm returning to the Mountains from FLA this Summer for a month to escape the FLA heat...but this time to Brevard, NC. Brevard is still not too much further into NC from FLA, & I had a mentor who retired there & loved it, so that is how I came to choose Brevard. It also has the recreational facilities I want.

I planned to take day trips to other Western NC towns, to see if any are worthy of replacing Brevard for next Summer's escape. Your comment indicates otherwise. Cashiers-Highlands is zany expensive, which is why I nixed it. Have you been to Waynesville or Hendersonville? I don't want to go much further North than that because my drive from FLA is already 8 hrs.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Any place that gets that amount of snow is going to have a spring mud season, which is not pleasant if you’re a hiking or mountain biking sort.
Got it, so its a Summer or Winter destination. I've always wanted to do the train rides they have out there, but I've heard its something you do when you hit 75+ yrs old, if you can't hike anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida