Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 11:12 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times

Advertisements

We have FL Power & Light here in my part of Manatee county and it's been very reliable during the 18 years I've been here.

The power lines are buried in our area and that may be why we never lost power during hurricanes or tropical storms.

Plus, they have an online site where you can report any outages that do occur and it gives you updates on when to expect power to be restored. Very customer friendly.

Above ground power lines definitely lead to more outages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 11:19 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
It’s your above ground power lines. We don’t have the same problems where they’re buried, even with TECO.
Okay. But the majority of the City of Tampa has above-ground lines! And many other cities in Florida!

And it's not like I or anyone else can do anything about this.

Like I said, Tampa isn't the only city in America with above-ground lines...............but Tampa does have horrible TECO doing next to nothing to maintain these lines.........

Trust me, if you had power outages for 4-10 hours every couple months, and you worked remotely, you would be one unhappy camper too. It's worse then third world here in Tampa

Old 03-27-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
The power in my Miami condo hasn't been out since Hurricane Irma in September 2017. Once in awhile it flickers and I have to reset my clocks, but that doesn't happen very often.
Yes, the power in my property in the Killian area (near The Falls) has not gone out since Irma.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:30 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Okay. But the majority of the City of Tampa has above-ground lines! And many other cities in Florida!

Like I said, Tampa isn't the only city in America with above-ground lines...............but Tampa does have horrible TECO doing next to nothing to maintain these lines.........

Trust me, if you had power outages for 4-10 hours every couple months, and you worked remotely, you would be one unhappy camper too. It's worse then third world here in Tampa
Install a generator and problem solved!

Old 03-27-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Install a generator and problem solved!
That is NOT a solution. I should not have to spend nearly $10k on a generator to provide reliable electricity in a city. Why is unreliable electric service tolerated in Tampa?????

Last edited by sinatras; 03-27-2023 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-27-2023, 12:53 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
It’s just the older neighborhoods with this problem.
Quote:
Have you tried?

Dana Shores came together and had their lines buried themselves.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
It’s just the older neighborhoods with this problem.

Have you tried?

Dana Shores came together and had their lines buried themselves.
Again, "just the older neighborhoods" would describe the majority of the City of Tampa and also many burbs!

Instead of trying to get together and improve the decrepit power grid, I think what happens is that people just get fed up and leave Tampa.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:42 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Not that I'm sticking up for TECO or any of the power companies, but stuff does happen. At my job, we had a racoon take out an entire wastewater treatment plant by tangling with the high voltage lines. The racoon lost the fight but it was still a mess.

The smaller power companies (co-ops or municipality owned) that I'm familiar with seem to do a better job than the bigger ones, at least in the day to day operation.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:04 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The OP seems to have an unusually high number of problems with Florida that no one else has. I guess that's the reason he has so many negative opinions of Florida or maybe it's because he's a native Floridian.

I personally rarely have any power outages of consequence, especially compared to power outages in summer and winter in New England.

If, as you say, you work from home and uninterrupted electricity is required, you definitely should install back-up power. Maybe your employer will pay for it if you say you cannot WFH without it?

Or maybe you should just travel more to obviate your power concerns.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The OP seems to have an unusually high number of problems with Florida that no one else has. I guess that's the reason he has so many negative opinions of Florida or maybe it's because he's a native Floridian.

If your power never goes out and you live in Florida consider yourself exceedingly lucky and fortunate.

As a matter of fact I am a native Floridian and yes, absolutely, losing power for many hours at least 6-8 times a year for NO REASON other than lack of equipment maintenance would give anyone a negative opinion of where they live. I would have the same negative opinion if I lived in Des Moines Iowa, Jackson Hole Montana or Hampton South Carolina.

You TOO would get tired of coming home to melted ice cream all over the freezer and defrosted steaks and fried electronics 6-8 times a year.

And by the way, this is a common problem in the City of Tampa and when my power goes out, so does the entire neighborhood's. So again, it's not just me.

Why exactly should I tolerate not having reliable electricity in a major city in "the greatest country in the world"? This is a problem that has been going on in Tampa for DECADES with no end in sight.

Last night I was working on a Powerpoint for work, when around 8 p.m. the power went out. I sat in the dark again, for the third time this year. A few hours later a TECO guy showed up and replaced some connectors. I went outside around 2 a.m. "Oh yeah these connectors should have been replaced months ago, I don't know why they haven't been replaced." It's always the same story from TECO. They wait until stuff breaks and people lose power to do anything. Six hours with no power and another sleepless night.

I'll be back here in a few months with another power outage report from the decrepit City of Tampa. But next time hopefully I will be out of town, and not have any food in the fridge. Since TECO power cannot be counted on.

Last edited by sinatras; 03-27-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida