Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 05:19 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Fort White, FL is still affordable. For now.
You could do a lot worse than the little towns surrounding Gainesville. Very affordable small town rural living with reasonable commute to Gainesville for jobs, shopping, restaurants and major medical. The local electric coops are starting to build fiber to the home in levy, Gilchrist, suwannee counties. This will be prime work from home territory in a few years. Gorgeous springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 10:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Florida has become more expensive as many people are flooding the state in the past few years. People from the northeast even find Florida expensive nowadays. What places in Florida are still affordable relative to the national average?
Three sizable non-boondock cities remain affordable in terms of average salary to housing cost. Tallahassee, Gainesville and Pensacola.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:35 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Three sizable non-boondock cities remain affordable in terms of average salary to housing cost. Tallahassee, Gainesville and Pensacola.
Cold areas of FL too, Especially Pensacola. It seems North of Orlando FL is far cheaper. Then again it seems Orlando is the dividing line when it comes to cold. North of Orlando FL has a different climate. Northwest FL the cheapest but also coldest. They were in the teens in places like Crestview a week ago and highs in the 30s.

That's why in the winter it's their off season. I don't want to walk the beach in Jan on a day where it's 48 degrees at the beach and 20mph winds blowing.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
You could do a lot worse than the little towns surrounding Gainesville. Very affordable small town rural living with reasonable commute to Gainesville for jobs, shopping, restaurants and major medical. The local electric coops are starting to build fiber to the home in levy, Gilchrist, suwannee counties. This will be prime work from home territory in a few years. Gorgeous springs.

Most people don't want to live in a place like Levy county though. Gotta drive 2 hours for shopping, or drive to Tampa for a major city. Many will think it's a bunch of hill billies there. Someone from Yankee land moving to Levy county would feel like an outsider. Also, not every job will be work from home by then.

I think it's fine to have a cheap place there for the weekends if you live in Tampa for example if you're into fishing because the houses are so cheap, but to live there full time I just don't see it.

The typical yankee here in Southwest FL would NOT like a place like Levy or Gilchrist county.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:07 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
True but if you are on a $200k budget there are not many places available right now especially if you want to own a home and land. You go to these really rural locations or give up on Florida and look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Most people don't want to live in a place like Levy county though. Gotta drive 2 hours for shopping, or drive to Tampa for a major city. Many will think it's a bunch of hill billies there. Someone from Yankee land moving to Levy county would feel like an outsider. Also, not every job will be work from home by then.

I think it's fine to have a cheap place there for the weekends if you live in Tampa for example if you're into fishing because the houses are so cheap, but to live there full time I just don't see it.

The typical yankee here in Southwest FL would NOT like a place like Levy or Gilchrist county.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
True but if you are on a $200k budget there are not many places available right now especially if you want to own a home and land. You go to these really rural locations or give up on Florida and look elsewhere.
No matter where you go you will not find a GOOD 3 or 4 bedroom house in the US unless it's really old or needs a lot of work.

I'm from Missouri and houses in St. Louis "county," not crappy inner city" are more than 200k now.

a new house that would cost 200k 5 years ago is at least 300k in most parts of the US now. Still not as bad as the inflated prices around here but cost a lot more than 200k now.

Actually around here they had gone down before Ian. Houses sitting for months with 20k price reductions. Of course now I see hardly any houses for sale around here. Most likely because of roof damage. I'd say 70 percent of the homes around here at least had some kind of damage, even if minor or more. All except one in my development was taken off the market after Ian hit.

Personally, I would NOT buy a house in SWFL until at least next August. Why? Many people might have roof damage they didn't notice due to being so minor or hard to see. When rainy season comes in late May they will suddenly find a leak. Unless they had a new roof put on it's a no go for me. I only missed about 5 shingles on mine and thought I was good to go until they repaired it. Wrong! Found a small leak inside the wall that leaked up under the floor board. Roof is fixed now.

If your budget is 200k for a house, not a townhouse or condo you're going to be living in the middle of no mans land Florida, or the middle of Missouri or Tennessee, Alabama some town with high poverty.

I'd rather just live somewhere like Springfield Missouri than north FL no mans land and bigger house. The winters in southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas can get cold but tolerable still since it only last a few days. It gets cold in the Pan Handle except you don't have ice or snow to deal with.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:02 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
No matter where you go you will not find a GOOD 3 or 4 bedroom house in the US unless it's really old or needs a lot of work.

I'm from Missouri and houses in St. Louis "county," not crappy inner city" are more than 200k now.

a new house that would cost 200k 5 years ago is at least 300k in most parts of the US now. Still not as bad as the inflated prices around here but cost a lot more than 200k now.

Actually around here they had gone down before Ian. Houses sitting for months with 20k price reductions. Of course now I see hardly any houses for sale around here. Most likely because of roof damage. I'd say 70 percent of the homes around here at least had some kind of damage, even if minor or more. All except one in my development was taken off the market after Ian hit.

Personally, I would NOT buy a house in SWFL until at least next August. Why? Many people might have roof damage they didn't notice due to being so minor or hard to see. When rainy season comes in late May they will suddenly find a leak. Unless they had a new roof put on it's a no go for me. I only missed about 5 shingles on mine and thought I was good to go until they repaired it. Wrong! Found a small leak inside the wall that leaked up under the floor board. Roof is fixed now.

If your budget is 200k for a house, not a townhouse or condo you're going to be living in the middle of no mans land Florida, or the middle of Missouri or Tennessee, Alabama some town with high poverty.

I'd rather just live somewhere like Springfield Missouri than north FL no mans land and bigger house. The winters in southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas can get cold but tolerable still since it only last a few days. It gets cold in the Pan Handle except you don't have ice or snow to deal with.
There are a number of places with homes under 200K that aren't rundown or in ghettos. I stopped looking after a few minutes on the east coast..

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...13,11&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...08,10&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...57,11&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...00000?view=map

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...89,10&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...81,10&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...73,10&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...69,10&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...387,9&qdm=true

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...03,10&qdm=true

Old 01-04-2023, 03:45 PM

Buffalo NY too extreme snow wise and that seems like a boring city! I don't like the Sabres or Bills! I'm a Stl Blues fan! in Stl County you "can" get an home for 200k, strong, brick home but it's going to be at least 50 years old and need some work.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
If you’re very price sensitive, I’ll note that my house is in a rural electric co-op zone and we pay probably 50% less at this point than the folks just across the bridge that are now stuck with Florida Power & Light, which bought out Gulf Power a while back.

We also got a $134 rebate check this year from the co-op because Chelco had a higher than allowed budget surplus going into the beginning of December.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:43 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Port Saint Lucie & Fort Pierce are probably the last small town/bedroom communities on the east coast that you can still get South Florida-type weather and lifestyle for a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida