Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 07:53 AM

25,863 posts, read 12,890,963 times

Advertisements

Only 58% of Floridians work. 42% don't need jobs...they live off of stored wealth.

Sink holes impact very few Floridians, & most people know the areas to avoid. Sink holes are not unique to Florida. 20% of the U.S. is succeptible to sinkholes. Those 10,000 lakes in Minnesota....sink holes.

Most of central Florida is barren agricultural land...lots of space for people to live.

Florida ranks 3rd for having the most fresh water, and 8th for quality of the water.

Florida's infrastructure is not even close to being tapped out.

I see healthcare access as being Florida's achilles heal, restricting future growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 12:13 PM

645 posts, read 412,613 times
THIS. Can confirm as I'm in Central Palm Beach County to South Broward County four days a week...It's getting brutal out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The traffic in Palm Beach and Broward Counties has gotten to be insane. 95 is a near constant slowdown, and it’s only getting worse as people flock here.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:39 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,354,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Even healthcare in Florida on average pays lower than in Texas and I would argue is a more difficult job in Florida due to the age of the population. It will be interesting to see how many people Florida can sustain before the infrastructure and water supply start to give way. This already started happening in some regions where sinkhole formation is a real issue due to the amount of groundwater being extracted to accommodate the population change. There is only so much swamp to fill in and service jobs that can cover the constantly increasing cost of living in Florida.
Agree about the sink holes. That's why when we moved back to FL my dad didn't want to live in Pasco County where some of my relatives live. moved further south.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Only 58% of Floridians work. 42% don't need jobs...they live off of stored wealth.

Sink holes impact very few Floridians, & most people know the areas to avoid. Sink holes are not unique to Florida. 20% of the U.S. is succeptible to sinkholes. Those 10,000 lakes in Minnesota....sink holes.

Most of central Florida is barren agricultural land...lots of space for people to live.

Florida ranks 3rd for having the most fresh water, and 8th for quality of the water.

Florida's infrastructure is not even close to being tapped out.

I see healthcare access as being Florida's achilles heal, restricting future growth.
The sink holes are getting bad in places like Pasco County for example. Few years back just down the street from my cousin a huge sink hole. Then across the street in the other sub division where my late aunt used to have a house on a big lake had a sinkhole on the edge of the lake that was all over the news and took a couple houses out. That area is being rapidly developed too. Lots of them in Pasco, Hillsborough, and Polk counties that have seen a TON of growth. I don't want that barren land developed. There needs to be rural land for wild life. That would be like taking the Ozarks on Southern Missouri and northern Arkansas for example and just build on everything. Would take away from the natural beauty.

I don't want FL population to hit 35 million for example. You'd probably be moving too then.

Probably right about the workforce. Older population so they have 401ks, savings, pensions, etc. If a 67 year old is getting a 65k a year pension, 24k a year social security on top of that as well there is no reason for them to be taking a part-time job at Home Depot to make and extra 10k a year.

Some even more than that! If it's a man with 20 years military service, then worked a job with a bloated pension like a government job, and have social security check on top of it they're easily brining in over 100k a year just sitting at home.

In college about 10 years ago I had a adjunct professor who taught a couple night classes just to stay busy and because he liked teaching a lot as a hobby.

Retired manager at the IRS and was getting about 97 thousand a year pension from the IRS! Likely more now due to Cola. and with his two classes he was teaching was over 100k a year. Mid 60s and just played golf all day and drove his corvette and his wife liked to shop.

I don't think many on City Data understand that a lot of the money brought here to Florida is because of lucrative pensions from the liberal states. Talk to these people and you'd be suprised how many have retired from public government jobs, and industries with very lucrative pensions such as the NYPD for example or calPERS is another big time pension.

You have people retiring with military, gov pensions on top of that, and their social security checks all easily pulling in over 100k a year being retired.

Even state of FL workers get in on it too. I have a cousin who retired after 20 years with one of the Sheriffs offices here as a Lt. Retired for 6 months, then got hired back on at the same dept after the 6 month waiting period and now gets a pension check and a regular paycheck on top of it for a investigators desk job to boot!

Even here in Florida if you're not interested in owning your own business I'd recommend getting a job in government here due to the pensions, especially if you're young. For example teaching. Yea it doesn't pay a ton but if you're young stick it out for 20 years for the pension then go jump into another field and still have that pension rolling in! You can always start a side business and still teach. I had a teacher who owned a Prime Time video store and used to give us coupons lol.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:33 AM

2,984 posts, read 1,170,137 times
AdventHealth is building a new hospital in palm coast fl there's a massive new housing project s going on as well almost in every neighborhood a new home being builted also a new Bj is being builted the growth of Flagler County it's incredible!

Old 12-30-2022, 03:53 PM

152 posts, read 131,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Florida is gaining significant population via Puerto Rican, Cuban and Haitian immigration as well. Not to mention Nicaraguans are the primary population trying to cross the TX border, with many headed to family already here in South Florida.
Bus them to Martha's Vineyard. There's no more room here.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:21 PM

729 posts, read 1,303,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A lot of Floridians once out of school seem to flock toward cities like Atlanta, Charlotte and Houston where there are masses of more jobs with better salaries, and as of late a similar or better cost of living. It's become a no-brainer.
I'm one of them. The money I'm making in Atlanta easily blows Florida out of the water. I'll move back when it's time to retire, lol.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:32 AM

25,863 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
I'm one of them. The money I'm making in Atlanta easily blows Florida out of the water. I'll move back when it's time to retire, lol.
I did the same. Graduated from Florida, & went North for job opps, then returned to FLA later. My SIL same.

My 3 best pals from college stayed in FLA, & all 3 did well in medical sales.

If grads remain in FLA, hospitality, medical, gov't, or starting your own business are your best bets, unless you have a very specific skill set.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I did the same. Graduated from Florida, & went North for job opps, then returned to FLA later. My SIL same.

My 3 best pals from college stayed in FLA, & all 3 did well in medical sales.

If grads remain in FLA, hospitality, medical, gov't, or starting your own business are your best bets, unless you have a very specific skill set.
Gov is good for pension. Even if you start off low pay like mid 20s out of college. Stay in it for 20 years to get a pension they get a job at a company or try starting a business when you're in your mid 40s and still young.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:11 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,871,071 times
Florida grew 79 percent during the 1950s decade, like the growth rate at peak was at 10% or more, compared to 1-3% now. Florida is maturing in population, especially southeast Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida