Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 02:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times

Advertisements

Baby Boomers were born from 1946 to 1964. It's really hard to make a huge move when you are over 65 so really we
are talking about the tail end of the baby boomers right now. The youngest boomers will turn 59 next year. I think we got another 5 more years of high retirement growth and then a question mark. A lot of Gen X who were planning to retire in 10 years have made the move early because of remote work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 05:54 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Doublespeak at its finest, losing population but gaining population via immigration. And Texas isn't?

Florida is gaining significant population via Puerto Rican, Cuban and Haitian immigration as well. Not to mention Nicaraguans are the primary population trying to cross the TX border, with many headed to family already here in South Florida.
Its only "double speak to people who do not understand demographics.

Go back & re-read my post...."residents" is a sub-category of "population". They can move in opposing directions.

"Residents" refers to domestic migration, & sets foreign immigration aside.

Population changes come from 3 areas...

1) domestic migration, which are "residents" moving in/out.

2) foreign immigration, which "immigrants" coming to America.

3) natural causes, which are births & deaths

This demographics 101 lesson, is my Holiday season gift to you.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:16 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its only "double speak to people who do not understand demographics.

Go back & re-read my post...."residents" is a sub-category of "population". They can move in opposing directions.

"Residents" refers to domestic migration, & sets foreign immigration aside.

Population changes come from 3 areas...

1) domestic migration, which are "residents" moving in/out.

2) foreign immigration, which "immigrants" coming to America.

3) natural causes, which are births & deaths

This demographics 101 lesson, is my Holiday season gift to you.
Texas population if illegals included I'm sure is a lot more populated than we think!

Btw what amazes me is how much older swfl is.

I lived in Naples from 91 to 02 growing up before i moved back to St. Louis for awhile. Naples was a retirement area of course back then but you still had a good number of young people mixed in. Now it's like all old people everywhere around there. A lot older than when I was a kid. Feel out of place lol. Same as when I'm in Sarasota, Venice, or even here in Charlotte co. Walk in somewhere and I'm literally the youngest person lol.

Sarasota county down to collier county, all those counties have a median age of at least 50. I think Manatee county was 48. Very old.

Is it because of all the baby boomers moving to swfl or that some younger people are moving away to the younger big cities. A lot i went to high school with eventually moved.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:54 PM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
got to watch medians/averages...it doesn't tell you much about demographics

the younger population can stay exactly the same....add more retirees...and the median age goes up

age demographic hasn't changed that much in the past decade.... https://usafacts.org/data/topics/peo...arasota-county

Old 12-25-2022, 03:13 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
What you are seeing is lack of jobs driving the younger and more ambitious people to other metros in Florida or out of state. Also, retirees in general pricing out younger people to other cheaper metros and out of state even if they are not very ambitious and want to stay. They either live with family locally or move on somewhere affordable. Same thing happened to my high school friends in Miami. Almost none of them 20 years later live in Miami. My closest friends from high school right now are in California, New York, Missouri, Central Florida, Panhandle, Australia, for example. They all left and that is normal. Florida is not the best state to start a lucrative career if you want one. It is one of the best states to retire to if you have high income/ assets though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Texas population if illegals included I'm sure is a lot more populated than we think!

Btw what amazes me is how much older swfl is.

I lived in Naples from 91 to 02 growing up before i moved back to St. Louis for awhile. Naples was a retirement area of course back then but you still had a good number of young people mixed in. Now it's like all old people everywhere around there. A lot older than when I was a kid. Feel out of place lol. Same as when I'm in Sarasota, Venice, or even here in Charlotte co. Walk in somewhere and I'm literally the youngest person lol.

Sarasota county down to collier county, all those counties have a median age of at least 50. I think Manatee county was 48. Very old.

Is it because of all the baby boomers moving to swfl or that some younger people are moving away to the younger big cities. A lot i went to high school with eventually moved.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:28 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
What you are seeing is lack of jobs driving the younger and more ambitious people to other metros in Florida or out of state. Also, retirees in general pricing out younger people to other cheaper metros and out of state even if they are not very ambitious and want to stay. They either live with family locally or move on somewhere affordable. Same thing happened to my high school friends in Miami. Almost none of them 20 years later live in Miami. My closest friends from high school right now are in California, New York, Missouri, Central Florida, Panhandle, Australia, for example. They all left and that is normal. Florida is not the best state to start a lucrative career if you want one. It is one of the best states to retire to if you have high income/ assets though.
Texas has a lot of younger people. Then again you have cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin.

Florida is mostly a service based state. If you're not a healthcare professional for example I can see why many leave.

Alot of them I talk to in the younger age bracket say it's boring living in SWFL. Activities revolve around golf, tourists, etc.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:25 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Texas has a lot of younger people. Then again you have cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin.

Florida is mostly a service based state. If you're not a healthcare professional for example I can see why many leave.

Alot of them I talk to in the younger age bracket say it's boring living in SWFL. Activities revolve around golf, tourists, etc.
A lot of Floridians once out of school seem to flock toward cities like Atlanta, Charlotte and Houston where there are masses of more jobs with better salaries, and as of late a similar or better cost of living. It's become a no-brainer.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:04 PM

Naples....SW Florida....has the highest rents in the entire country....that has a lot to do with it

Old 12-26-2022, 03:45 PM

I wonder if they count illegals when they count population?.......if so, 2,000,000 illegals in Florida are certainly contributing to Florida's population increase

if not, then Florida's population is a lot bigger

"The more than two million illegal immigrants and their children cost Florida taxpayers more than $6 billion."

https://www.thecentersquare.com/nati...213e44ae5.html

Old 12-27-2022, 07:04 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:

Even healthcare in Florida on average pays lower than in Texas and I would argue is a more difficult job in Florida due to the age of the population. It will be interesting to see how many people Florida can sustain before the infrastructure and water supply start to give way. This already started happening in some regions where sinkhole formation is a real issue due to the amount of groundwater being extracted to accommodate the population change. There is only so much swamp to fill in and service jobs that can cover the constantly increasing cost of living in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida