Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 08:45 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times

Advertisements

What culture is there in Florida. Living in condo complexes that all look the same? Drinking at bars? Not signaling when changing lanes on a congested road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 03:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
Kissimmee it has a very large Latino community especially Puerto Ricans I have some family there!

Old 01-02-2023, 04:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
What culture is there in Florida. Living in condo complexes that all look the same? Drinking at bars?
There's three cultures in Florida, identifiable by the beachwear of the males; Speedos, board shorts or jeans (sawed off or full length). Full length jeans at the beach are often referred to as Cape Canaveral baggies.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:16 PM

817 posts, read 628,454 times
It's funny actually, coming from a native Southern Californian, the whole "tanned blonde surfer girl" cultural image fits more into Florida these days than California. When someone says "culture of Florida" beautiful tanned instagram blondes and crazy rednecks wrestling gators comes to my mind immediately

Old 01-02-2023, 10:51 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
What culture is there in Florida. Living in condo complexes that all look the same? Drinking at bars? Not signaling when changing lanes on a congested road?

I love Florida....but.....my personal experience has been....that it has the worst drivers of any state.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:58 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
Where I live, PANAMA CITY BEACH, there is a definite tourist culture. Similar to places like Branson, Gatlinburg or Myrtle Beach.

There is no shortage of hotel rooms, rental condos and furnished, short term rentals homes. Then throw in just about any type of restaurant you could desire. Sprinkle in the typical family tourist traps like water parks, arcades, rides and mini golf. And there you go.

Depending on the time of year, half of the license plates in parking lots will be out of state. Winter you find more of the northern US states visitors. ANd Canadians snow birds. Summer time will be more extended families from closer states.

People come here to go to the beach, find shells, eat seafood, drink frozen, overpriced alcoholic drinks. Every once in a while a group will get out of hand. Thankfully local law enforcement take that personal. So it doesn't last too long.

We have a flag system for bathing in the gulf. Sadly many people overestimate their ability, so each year a few have to get fished out of the water. Those flags are there for a reason. Mostly your personal safety. Disregard them at great personal risk to your life.

Seafood is king at meal time. There isn't any place you can go to get inexpensive seafood. You can find a reasonably priced fried shrimp basket. You can also drop some serious money at the AYCE crab leg seafood buffets. You won't find a lot of tablecloth and cloth napkin establishments. This is I'm on vacation dining. Expect long wait times at the more popular spots.

You can rent a tricked out golf cart and drive it annoying slow down the main beach drag. Don't be surprised when cars whip around you at the first chance they get.

We have a zoo. An aquarium. Helicopters rides, Axe tossing, bowling, go cart rides, oddity museums.

You cant swing a dead cat on the beach road without hitting a t shirt shop. You can also load up on beach umbrellas, sun screen, shot glasses, beachy snow globes, hoodies, swim suits, beach towels and a bunch of other stuff you will impulsively purchase then kick yourself for doing it.

3 fishing piers are available for anglers. Head boats will take you out for a couple of hours for not so much money. If you have deep pockets, you can charter an entire boat.

Water shuttles will take you over to Shell Island. I have yet to make it out there. It's primitive with no bathroom or amenities.

You can paddle board, kayak, ride a bike, parasail. And you don't even need to use your own equipment. They will rent you everything.

Go on a boat and dolphin watch. Last time out we saw no less that 30. Big and small. Family groups. Best part is they play it up for the tourists, by surfing in the boat's wake.

Make sure you head to the beach just before sunset. Catch the amazing colors as the sun sets for another evening.

PBC has some of the cleanest beach water in America. Right after a storm it gets churned up. But after a day or 2 it lays back down and is crystal clear. It goes well with the baby powder soft sand.

Living here I've learned to economize when doing things. Some places offer local's discounts. But they don't advertise those. If you are from out of the area and come down, bring lots of disposable income. It's not cheap to visit paradise.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:57 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
White sand beaches and pretty sunsets are global. Nothing special about these. I'll post mine of Maui and Mumbai.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:07 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
This is a difficult question to answer as there are 8+ distinct metro areas in the state, each with different cultures, different demographics, and different histories.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:58 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
White sand beaches and pretty sunsets are global. Nothing special about these. I'll post mine of Maui and Mumbai.
The OP asked about Florida culture. I don't think a beach or sunset in Bombay would qualify. But sure, post pics if you want.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:07 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
The closest thing to "culture" for Florida:

The immigrant Cuban culture mingled with wealthy white people in Miami, has created its own unique culture of fashion and music.

Key West has a unique culture, the ambience of being in a resort town where life is easy and colorful, and there's an umbrella in every drink.

There's not much in the way of Opera houses, live theatre, symphony orchestra, ballet. It exists, but Florida is not known for having any of this type of culture with any measurable quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida