Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 09:51 AM

103 posts, read 96,029 times

Advertisements

I've started other threads asking kind of broad questions, but here I'll give the full details about what we're looking for.

We have technically been FL residents for the past 10 years. Some of those years we lived 11 months of the year in FL, other years we were only in FL for 6-7 months. There are plenty of things we don't like about FL but it's really the only option for us because of the combo of weather + no state income tax. The places we've previously lived in FL are not a good match for our current preferences, so we're looking for somewhere that will be a better fit.

Here's the short version of what we want: a home and neighborhood with a design aesthetic we love, in a safe, super-convenient area with good groceries and abundant variety of restaurants. Here's a more in-depth explanation of what's important to us:

Food
I want to live very close to a good grocery store, like ideally within 2 or 3 miles. Publix is fine, Whole Foods would be amazing but I know they are few and far between in FL. Would love to have a nice seafood market nearby. And we want to be close to a good number of restaurants offering a variety of cuisines.

Aesthetics and Atmosphere
I'm picky about architecture and I feel rude saying this but I just don't like the look of most homes in FL. I don't know how specific I should get about styles I like and don't like... Regarding the atmosphere of the neighborhood, we like an established feel, mature landscaping, underground power lines, not a ton of construction going on, not a totally barren, shadeless, treeless neighborhood. A hint of upscale classiness without being trendy or ritzy. We love when a neighborhood feels under-the-radar, like a tucked away little secret. There are neighborhoods we like that have a very uniform, cohesive look and also neighborhoods we like where each house is different from the rest, either one could work for us. I'd love to have a downtown-ish area nearby. Doesn't have to be big city level, just a nice walkable few blocks of restaurants and shops. We're open to single family detached home, townhouse, condo, patio home community, I see pros and cons of each.

Population Demographics and Politics
We are 40 and 42. We strongly prefer to be around people who are older than us. I do not want to be around a lot of people in their 20s and 30s. I would not want to live near a 4-year college / university, especially a larger campus. We'd love to live in what you might call a "purple" area, meaning not deep red or deep blue politically. Ideally I'd rather not see political signs and flags and public displays all the time (around elections is understandable), but if people do insist on blasting their politics to the world, I'd rather live where there's a balance of different views, not overwhelming one-party dominance. I know this is terrible to say but... I don't want homeless people around me. Also I get creeped out by sketchy people acting weird. So an area where it's common to see homeless people or sketchy people would not be a good choice for me.

Value and Budget
We will rent first for 6-12 months to make sure we like a community before buying. Rental budget we'd like to keep under $3000 but could suck it up and go to $3500 if we must. Furnished preferred. Don't get too caught up on that though, I'll figure out the rental, what I really need help with is finding the right location. Just giving our numbers to rule out places there's no way we can afford. We'd ultimately like to purchase a home. We are even open to building if that's the best option. We have zero debt and $300,000 saved to put toward a home, and I don't think we'd want to go much over $600,000 total for purchase price. The very top of our budget would be for something scarce, rare, and unique, something that can't easily be replicated. If we're buying something that's a dime a dozen that can easily be duplicated then we want a deal.

I love uncrowded beaches like Cape San Blas in October or Boca Grande / Gasparilla in April / May. But I actually don't value proximity to the beach for the most part. I find most months in FL I don't want to go to the beach for various reasons (red tide, crowds, too cold, vibrio vulnificus, it's always something.) If a community is a perfect fit for us and happens to be near a beach I'll gladly pay the beach premium and that will be a nice perk. But I wouldn't pay the premium just to live near the beach while compromising on our main criteria.

We also don't want to pay a premium for trendiness or a booming community that's in especially high demand. I get that FL in general is trendy lately, but I know some communities are more toned down and under the radar than others and that's what we prefer. If we pick a more "popular" location it would be more of an eternally popular area, not the latest craze that's been rapidly growing recently. We are open to any part of the state that fits our criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 11:03 AM

Since that post is reeeeally long, I'll do a bullet point version:
- Within 3 miles of good grocery store like Publix or even better Whole Foods.
- Seafood market
- Plentiful restaurants serving variety of different cuisines
- Not typical FL home style built between 1990s-present
- Established feel with mature landscaping and underground power lines.
- Hint of upscale classiness but not trendy or ritzy.
- Under the radar, hidden away feel.
- Near a downtown-ish area
- Older population, not many people in their 20s
- Not near large college
- Politically purple and polite
- Safe, low crime, uncommon to ever see homeless, sketchy weirdos, druggies wandering.
- Home budget not over $600,000
- Any part of FL

Old 12-09-2022, 12:49 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
With all due respect; you have a pretty impossible list here. And you have posted multiple times, where I believe people have already suggested the areas that would most likely be a "fit." If you have ruled those out, that I honestly feel you need to look outside of Florida; I just don't see Florida as being a good fit for you. Based on your current post here, somewhere in Lakewood Ranch would seem to tick off many of your boxes, but I suppose you need to tell us what you didn't like about it or any of the other communities that have been suggested. Somewhere in the Carolinas might work for you, maybe even Georgia.

Anyway, I wish you much luck; and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:55 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
I think I have a clear picture of what you’re looking for. I’d strongly recommend Lakewood Ranch. It’s not under the radar, but bare in mind under the radar places aren’t going to attract a variety of restaurants, etc. Westchase is still a great match, it just doesn’t have as much shopping/dining nearby as Lakewood Ranch.

Outside of these two, I think Oviedo and Mt. Dora could be decent matches but I’m less familiar with them. Wesley Chapel wouldn’t be a bad fit either.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:43 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I think I have a clear picture of what you’re looking for. I’d strongly recommend Lakewood Ranch. It’s not under the radar, but bare in mind under the radar places aren’t going to attract a variety of restaurants, etc. Westchase is still a great match, it just doesn’t have as much shopping/dining nearby as Lakewood Ranch.

Outside of these two, I think Oviedo and Mt. Dora could be decent matches but I’m less familiar with them. Wesley Chapel wouldn’t be a bad fit either.
I was going to suggest Mt. Dora as well.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:05 PM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Surprised you didn't express a preference about water. East coast, West coast, or maybe away from the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatique View Post
Since that post is reeeeally long, I'll do a bullet point version:
- Within 3 miles of good grocery store like Publix or even better Whole Foods.
- Seafood market
- Plentiful restaurants serving variety of different cuisines
- Not typical FL home style built between 1990s-present
- Established feel with mature landscaping and underground power lines.
- Hint of upscale classiness but not trendy or ritzy.
- Under the radar, hidden away feel.
- Near a downtown-ish area
- Older population, not many people in their 20s
- Not near large college
- Politically purple and polite
- Safe, low crime, uncommon to ever see homeless, sketchy weirdos, druggies wandering.
- Home budget not over $600,000
- Any part of FL

Old 12-09-2022, 04:06 PM

I would like to know if Oviedo and Mt Dora have fewer college age people than Winter Park. Thank you!

Old 12-09-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Surprised you didn't express a preference about water. East coast, West coast, or maybe away from the water.
I talked a little about proximity to beach in 2nd to last paragraph, I value other things much more than being near a beach, but if the best community for us happens to be near a beach that's a nice perk. The reasons we choose FL as our home state are winter weather and no state income tax. The tax aspect applies to the whole state of course, and while I do like around the latitude of Englewood for winter weather, the northern part of FL is perfectly acceptable. I've spent several winters in Gulf and Franklin counties in the panhandle and the weather was fine for me. Since your name is 'Gulf coast jon' I will divulge to you that I do love the Gulf of Mexico probably a little more than the Atlantic ocean.

Old 12-09-2022, 04:33 PM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Well, consider Palmer Ranch. It's south of Sarasota. 600k might still get you a single family home, but not new.

I see a lot of recommendations for Lakewood Ranch. Didn't like the feel of the place. Just my personal opinion, but it felt like Long Island in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatique View Post
I talked a little about proximity to beach in 2nd to last paragraph, I value other things much more than being near a beach, but if the best community for us happens to be near a beach that's a nice perk. The reasons we choose FL as our home state are winter weather and no state income tax. The tax aspect applies to the whole state of course, and while I do like around the latitude of Englewood for winter weather, the northern part of FL is perfectly acceptable. I've spent several winters in Gulf and Franklin counties in the panhandle and the weather was fine for me. Since your name is 'Gulf coast jon' I will divulge to you that I do love the Gulf of Mexico probably a little more than the Atlantic ocean.

Old 12-09-2022, 05:55 PM

1,050 posts, read 571,445 times
I don’t think OP can find a non cookie cutter, under 600k house in both Lakewood and Palmer Ranch. Not at today’s FL market.

Generally when you buy in the master-planned communities you’re bound to have very “typical” FL houses in design, layout and aesthetics.

Imho restaurants near both Lakewood Ranch and Palmer Ranch are overall not very good. There are restaurants for sure, but mostly chains or very touristy. I was excited going to St.Armands Circle for the 1st time but by the 5th time it became too touristy, the beachwear clothing was dated, restaurants weren’t anything special. Sarasota generally doesn’t, imho, have a much interesting food scene. (I felt St.Pete does better, but OP probably will find St.Pete too young and too “hip”.)

And both Lakewood and Palmer Ranch don’t typically “fly under the radar.”

There are houses there probably sell for around/under 600k but they will be very small (less than 1500 sft) or very old. Very old houses probably don’t meet the code for hurricanes and probably don’t have underground power line.

I did come across a few unique Spanish Revival architectures when I was house-hunting, they were mostly in St. Pete & Tampa. Along Tampa’s Bayshore Boulevard there are many beautiful, grand and less than cookie-cutter houses, waterfront and with a big enough yard/lot. They are mature and sophisticated looking.-that’s one area in West Coast FL I really like. They will cost millions though.

Or Longboat Key. Private, unique housing stock, mature landscaping. Close to many restaurants/shopping but you have the luxury of being secluded and quietness. They are understandably very expensive.

Naples?! Coral Gable (impossible to find $600k houses though.)?

Edited: typos.

Last edited by achtung baby; 12-09-2022 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida