Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 01:49 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
1) DeSantis is listening to his scientists...I thought science was all important?

2) No matter what he does, some group will become irrate, & call him names...if not you, someone else...sticks 'n stones.

3) 65+'er are most likely to die from it, no matter where their legal residence is.

4) Do any states limit the vaccine to local residents? Maybe there was a nationwide agreement/policy.

5) DeSantis's C-19 results so far have beaten the U.S. average, even though FLA has the 2nd most vulnerable population.
Blind allegiance usually never turns out well, your boy DeSantis is obviously rudderless now that Trump isn't controlling his every move. Check out the states most recent infection rate for proof of total failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 05:24 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The problem is?

The elderly are most likely to die from it, so of course they should be prioritized.
I think the logic of vaccinating first responders, even the 22 year old nurse, police officer, or EMT is that we can’t afford for them to miss work because they’re stuck at home with symptoms for a week.

This is a difficult endeavor and cannot imagine being in the position of having to make these decisions.

Last edited by boy3365; 01-01-2021 at 05:34 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 07:26 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Thanks for saying that my 50something schoolteacher husband should just suck up and deal with the chance of permanent lung damage so that the old people can go to the bar for a beer after they play golf.

Really great priorities there.
But the chances are miniscule that your 59 yr old husband, unless he suffers from comorbidities or chronic conditions that could be exacerbated by covid, would suffer from anything but perhaps a mild, self-limited illness from covid, most likely a lot less chance than those seniors with the comorbidities associated with older age. You figure people age out of their "usefulness" and spend all their time entertaining themselves, adding to their uselessness?

As any rational person can see, this vaccine has just recently become available, and doses to any given locale are limited. This necessitates setting priorities as to who gets these vaccines first, and it makes sense that the first doses go to those at highest risk of getting the covid, ie, healthcare workers on the front line caring for or frequently exposed to the virus, and those most likely to suffer the highest number of adverse effects, or death from the virus, ie, the elderly, especially those with comorbidities. There will be plenty of vaccine later for anyone who wants it, for now it must be rationed due to limited availability.

Oh, and your implication about old people having outlived any usefulness, it's far from fact. I'm 73 and still working ( at a highly paid professional job that most others are unable to or unwilling to put the effort into doing well) still paying into SS, Medicare ( at the contractor rate of approx. 15%), and more than my share of income tax. My three siblings, all close to or over age 70, are also still employed. I would qualify to get the vaccine now by virtue of my age and a couple comorbidities ( well controlled), but I'm not planning to add my name to a list as I'm otherwise healthy and not at high risk of exposure due to living in a low population density and life style choices.

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I think the logic of vaccinating first responders, even the 22 year old nurse, police officer, or EMT is that we can’t afford for them to miss work because they’re stuck at home with symptoms for a week.

This is a difficult endeavor and cannot imagine being in the position of having to make these decisions.
This is true. Especially as when they're considering the availability of healthcare facilities to treat covid ( and other illnesses and conditions), the prime issues include staffing.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:16 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I am absolutely appalled that there is no residency requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations. That means a 65 year old snowbird who is only here for one month can get vaccinated before a 59 year old teacher. Snowbirds and retirees have the luxury of curtailing their activities and exposure. Teachers and other essential workers do not. The vaccine is scarce enough without adding out of state snowbirds to the queue.

I guess DeSantis is more interested in keeping the snowbirds in restaurants and out spending money.
It is a travesty this man is in charge. Furthermore, what it means is if I'm 65 years old and my state is not going to give me the vaccine till March or April, I can hop on a plane to Florida RIGHT NOW and go steal a vaccine from a Teacher.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:26 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
I am definitely not trying to throw stones but with the unemployment application process fiasco we had here in Florida I would have thought the state of Florida would have had a game plan rolled out for vaccine distribution.

It certainly doesn’t help here in Jacksonville with the local news showing helicopter shots of long lines of cars and reporting 4 plus hour waits to get the vaccine along with people showing up without appointments.

You have to report the news but with human nature and how COVID-19 led to panic buying of paper goods and foods it is only obvious that this same type of hysteria is going to turn the vaccine process into a free for all.

My parents have passed so I can’t ask them but from what I remember in the early sixties without social media and the internet my parents took me to the next town over on a Sunday and I was administered the Polio vaccine in a high school auditorium. No crowds, no long lines, no wait time.

I hope everything gets sorted out in the next few weeks and the vaccine process becomes a lot smoother. I would hate to see the confusion and unorganized process continue on especially when it comes time for those who receive it now and it becomes time for them to return for their second application. Lines now would look minuscule compared to then.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm willing to wait until everyone 65+ get it, and then the medical community.
You just haven't realized yet that these 65+ snowbirds are literally stealing the vaccine from you and pushing your chance to get it out MONTHS and MONTHS... While at the same time the wave is growing here every day. Just look at the numbers and you can see it. We are right before the peak of this thing right now thanks to christmas and new years.....while they all flooded down here (holy cow the traffic in the keys was worse than it ever has been).

It's the exact wrong time to open this to 65+ without being a resident. It's going to push what might have been a Feb vaccination date for the 59 year old teacher to JUNE or JULY. Meanwhile that teacher will have to put up and make it through alive as more and more of his/her students get infected and bring it in to the classroom.

Gov gets an F on how he handled this.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:41 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I APPLAUD DeSantis for ordering mass, immediate vaccination. Vaccines sitting in freezers while a lumbering bureaucracy immunizes at a glacial pace (and meanwhile, over 3000 people/day are dying of the disease) is idiocy.

Yes, immunize every healthcare worker, first responder, etc. That's pretty much been done already. Have them come to the hospital parking lots to get the Pfizer vaccine as a drive through. Send Moderna out to all the pharmacies, clinics, medical offices, and tell them, IMMUNIZE! Give it to every comer over age 65 this week, over 55 next week, over 45 the week after, and so on. Do it as fast as possible. The vaccine will not be in short supply - it's sitting in warehouses, just waiting for the federal government to order it sent out to the states! More is being made every day. And every person who is immunized, contributes to herd immunity.

Israel has already got 10% of the country immunized, is doing an additional 2% a day. At this rate, they'll be done by the end of the January. Meanwhile, we, who PAID for the Moderna vaccine's development, who RESIDE in the country where it is being made, will take over a year to immunize our population, at our current rate, while over 3000 people die every day of it. We could lose another MILLION people because of the absurdly slow rate of immunization.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
His parents are deceased. My parents are in a different state where he would be in the same priority group that they are.
Why do people not understand what is going on here.

The gov. took essential workers and instead of saying "okay you can get it with 65 year olds on vacation" said "Hey teachers, sorry, people on vacation over 65 are more important, sorry that the virus is spreading rapidly amongst the families coming into your classrooms, you're on your own! Good luck!"

Old 01-01-2021, 09:03 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Default Rise of ignorance and incompetence

A sad contrast between New York City over seven decades ago and the increase in ignorance and incompetence which today permeates our nation and especially Florida.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/...ce-98630725950

The purveyors of "Big Lie," anti-science propaganda have taken a heavy toll on the health, well-being, and prosperity of our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida