Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 03:03 PM

648 posts, read 431,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post

I guess DeSantis is more interested in keeping the snowbirds in restaurants and out spending money.
And buying gas. You catching on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 03:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
1) DeSantis is listening to his scientists...I thought science was all important?

2) No matter what he does, some group will become irrate, & call him names...if not you, someone else...sticks 'n stones.

3) 65+'er are most likely to die from it, no matter where their legal residence is.

4) Do any states limit the vaccine to local residents? Maybe there was a nationwide agreement/policy.

5) DeSantis's C-19 results so far have beaten the U.S. average, even though FLA has the 2nd most vulnerable population.
I know you love DeSantis, and I actually thought he was doing OK before this whole COVID thing. The vaccinations are being distributed to the states based on the population OF THE PERMANENT RESIDENTS!

How many millions of snowbirds are coming down here for season. And the timing couldn't be worse. Season is just starting and the vaccination is just coming out- the perfect storm. I'm pretty sure you live in the community across the street from me. If you are on that other social media site (ND), then you see the posts with the lottery in Sarasota County for the 150 one day, then 400 doses the next day that are available. There was one post from a guy who "won" one of the slots and commented he was getting his vaccination (he's over 65) with a firefighter. He can probably stay home another few weeks while those that have to work are taken care of. Especially those over 50, such as the teachers that were profiled in the Herald Tribune just before school opened last August that had to decide to risk illness (some of them had other conditions) or retire. And some couldn't afford to retire. But let's make sure the snowbirds can play golf.

I'm sad DeSantis didn't continue on his own course and instead decided to climb up Trump's a$$ because I was close to being a fan.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:45 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
They are announcing "first come, first serve" and seniors are camping out the night before and sleeping in the streets in line waiting for 12 to 18 hours.

That's insane and dangerous to have frail elderly camped out for the vaccine. The vaccine only gives partial immunity starting about 2 weeks after the first dose and then full immunity is 2 weeks after the 2nd dose. So there's 5 weeks where you are at risk of infection.

A lot of these seniors are more at risk waiting in line catching the rona from others in line than staying at home and self isolating. They need to change this. If demand is too high for limited slots, then do a lottery.

Which is why the health departments on other counties are considering, and some have implemented, an appointment system for getting the vaccines. In Charlotte County, they have had vaccines only be appointment, anyone without an appointment was turned away, and there were no long lines.

They seem to know ahead of time how many immunization doses they will get, and can make appointments till the doses are all gone.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:53 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I know you love DeSantis, and I actually thought he was doing OK before this whole COVID thing. The vaccinations are being distributed to the states based on the population OF THE PERMANENT RESIDENTS!

How many millions of snowbirds are coming down here for season. And the timing couldn't be worse. Season is just starting and the vaccination is just coming out- the perfect storm. I'm pretty sure you live in the community across the street from me. If you are on that other social media site (ND), then you see the posts with the lottery in Sarasota County for the 150 one day, then 400 doses the next day that are available. There was one post from a guy who "won" one of the slots and commented he was getting his vaccination (he's over 65) with a firefighter. He can probably stay home another few weeks while those that have to work are taken care of. Especially those over 50, such as the teachers that were profiled in the Herald Tribune just before school opened last August that had to decide to risk illness (some of them had other conditions) or retire. And some couldn't afford to retire. But let's make sure the snowbirds can play golf.

I'm sad DeSantis didn't continue on his own course and instead decided to climb up Trump's a$$ because I was close to being a fan.
Again, DeSantis's Covid-19 results are better than the natonal average, even though we have the 2nd oldest population of all 50 states. Our Governor kicked New York's Governors butt on C-19 response, and New York has a slightly smaller & younger population. That jerk crammed infected people into Nursing homes, so there's where your anger should be directed.

If good results causes you to think he's doing a bad job, then, I can't convince you otherwise.

I'm all about results, and Governor DeSantis has had B+ results. He's protected our older citizens, and visitors, while not overreacting with statewide shutdowns when some County's were barely impacted, and others were reeling. He pushed decisions downward to local healthofficials (scientists) as much as possible, and avoided being an overbearing dictator, like Michigan's Governor has.

A 59-year old school teacher is much less likely to die from C-19 than an older person it. That's the science of this Chinese caused pandemic.

Lastly, this is the only Social Media I'm active with, & where I live, or don't live, is irrelevent to 99.999% of the topics discussed here.

I'm close in age as the 59 yr old school teacher, & I'm a business owner that many families rely upon for their incomes. I'm willing to wait until everyone 65+ get it, and then the medical community.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:05 PM

85 posts, read 57,425 times
I'm thinking on more of a national level than a State level, but I prefer getting the elderly the vaccine first, no matter where they're from. They're the most at risk, so get them done first. The young people among you can wait a little longer. I'm not getting it just yet, but that's a whole 'nother topic. Happy New Year, everyone. Be safe and best of luck this year.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:57 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Like I've mentioned a million times, there didn't seem to be much outrage about the NY nursing home debacle immediately when it was enacted. Just a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking after the fallout weeks later. Twitter is a really good research tool for gauging the public's opinion within a snapshot of time, albeit a non-scientific one. Twitter opinion searching seems to be part of the reporter's toolbox nowadays, so maybe there is some legitimacy to it. Facebook search is awful.

And again, Florida better have done better than New York given that New York was the nation's first epicenter, or maybe second after Seattle. Just like Tennessee as the current epicenter should be doing better than us since they had more time to learn.

DeSantis did (maybe rightfully) urge county-by-county decisions early on, but isn't too keen on that nowadays as local officials begged him to loosen his grip on what they could do in their areas.

I think many vaccine issues will sort themselves out after the holidays, but perhaps a better plan could have been to vaccinate "essential" workers 50 and up and/or those with conditions as opposed to pushing the vaccination of certain occupations as a whole regardless of age down the road.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
A
A 59-year old school teacher is much less likely to die from C-19 than an older person it. That's the science of this Chinese caused pandemic.
Thanks for saying that my 50something schoolteacher husband should just suck up and deal with the chance of permanent lung damage so that the old people can go to the bar for a beer after they play golf.

Really great priorities there.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:10 PM

1,434 posts, read 666,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Thanks for saying that my 50something schoolteacher husband should just suck up and deal with the chance of permanent lung damage so that the old people can go to the bar for a beer after they play golf.

Really great priorities there.
Your school teacher husband should be able to take his mom or dad's shot from them I guess.
Or your mom or dad's shot if that would make you feel better.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Your school teacher husband should be able to take his mom or dad's shot from them I guess.
Or your mom or dad's shot if that would make you feel better.
His parents are deceased. My parents are in a different state where he would be in the same priority group that they are.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:56 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
The problem is?

The elderly are most likely to die from it, so of course they should be prioritized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida