Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,647 times

Advertisements

Hello! A little bit of background here. I am originally from Quebec and moved to oregon 6 years ago. Bilingual French/English .I’ve been loving Portland but the lack of sun is depressing. I was really staying because of my relationship but that recently ended. All my friends and family are on the east coast so there is nothing for me here and am going to sell the house soon.
I am 32 years old, have my commercial drivers license and would rather live in the city. Hopefully where there is a crowd my age where I could potentially meet someone?
I am thinking about starting in an apartment in FL to see if I like it there, possibly a year. I know it shouldnt be too hard finding work but if there’s better places for my line of work I’d like to know!
Also I am liberal so being around like-minded people might find challenging over there? that’s something I also need advice on.

I am thinking FL because I if I am going to Move again, might as well aim for the summer year-long! And by being on the east coast I can easily and more frequently fly back home to see friends.

The places I’ve been considering lately are Tampa and Fort Lauderdale, but that’s just from reading a bit here and there and figured I’d get better advice on here so thank you in advance for taking the time to read and reply!

Olivier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 AM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
South Florida is liberal, and CDL drivers are in high demand. Gainesville and Talahassee are liberal too, but they are much smaller, and do not have as much opportunity for jobs and mates.

If your driving record is solid, you have a solid resume with references, are drug-free, and have a good worth ethic, you'll do very well in South Florida, or Tampa. South Florida is more liberal than Tampa, but South Florida is very over-populated and the traffic is aweful. My best friend driver u and down I-95 daily between Boca Raton and Miami, and he hates it. He has 2 more years until he takes early retirement, and it cant come soon enough for him.

If I were you, I'd try Tampa first. Look at Brandon, suburb of Tampa, because that is right next to where the most CDL driving jobs are at in the 33619 zip code.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Most of the major cities in Florida vote Blue, the further iut you go the more Red it becomes... Jacksonville is the only major city to have voted for Trump. Tampa is one of the most split major cities in Florida eeking out a small win for Clinton. The most Liberal populated areas would be South Florida. Check out Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I’d recommend Miami (Coconut Grove, Brickell, Coral Gables, among others). If you don’t want to be so far South, than I would say Orlando is your next best bet.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
OP, in summary, you have said you want to live in a sunny, liberal place in Florida with apartments, young people and an Airport. Since 'liberal' is somewhat subjective, you have narrowed your search down to about a dozen Florida cities (surprising to some, Florida's demographics are similar to those of about a dozen combined cities in other areas).

If you Google CDL driver jobs in Florida, you will find the majority of these centered in Orlando (logical, since this is the center of the state). The next largest Southeast distribution center is Atlanta. Perhaps if your first target is getting a job and arranging temporary living arrangements nearby. Then, as you drive around Florida in your work, you will quickly get a first-hand 'feel' for where you might want to permanently settle.

(I suspect you will also find that due to extreme tourism, driving in Florida is far more congested and problematic, than driving in Quebec).

Old 08-01-2019, 08:45 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
OP, in summary, you have said you want to live in a sunny, liberal place in Florida with apartments, young people and an Airport. Since 'liberal' is somewhat subjective, you have narrowed your search down to about a dozen Florida cities (surprising to some, Florida's demographics are similar to those of about a dozen combined cities in other areas).

If you Google CDL driver jobs in Florida, you will find the majority of these centered in Orlando (logical, since this is the center of the state). The next largest Southeast distribution center is Atlanta. Perhaps if your first target is getting a job and arranging temporary living arrangements nearby. Then, as you drive around Florida in your work, you will quickly get a first-hand 'feel' for where you might want to permanently settle.

(I suspect you will also find that due to extreme tourism, driving in Florida is far more congested and problematic, than driving in Quebec).

I find driving distances in Florida to be a breeze, most stretches of freeway are flat, open and wide. There is traffic in populated areas, but it's not as bad as many parts of the country. The biggest issue I have is with traffic light signals having 5 minute cycles, but for a trucker who will mostly be on the freeways, that's not really a big issue.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,560 times
I would say pick Fort Lauderdale if you want to come across French Canadians, but you will need a higher budget than Tampa. I think central Florida will be better for a driver based on location. Also just an opinion as I have lived in south Florida before. It’s harder to settle down with a partner down there. What I have seen and my friends still live down there pushing 40 and still not married.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Hollywood, just south of Fort Lauderdale has a considerable French-Canadian snowbird population and a fairly large singles population in general within the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood metro area.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
Miller Transporters hired a friend of mine. He had no experience in big rigs and they trained him. I am not sure that helps you pick a city though.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,647 times
Thanks for all the replies this will all come in handy when I’m ready to move out!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,760 times
Try Publix, they have a huge fleet of Tractor Trailers.

From their web page

Our Positions

Distribution Operator
Forklift Operator
Frontline Supervisor
Inventory Checker
Order Checker
Warehouse Person
Warehouse Selector
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Truck Driver
Cafeteria Team Leader
Cafeteria Worker
Cook
Stocker
Dock Person
Warehouse Administrative Assistant
Tire Repair Person
Transportation Operations Coordinator
Fuel Island Attendant with CDL License
Carrier Relations Analyst

Funny but with the lack of qualified, experienced and safe drivers, that was the only hyper link that was not clickable

Maybe you have to get un the door, earn a rep before they will consider a person for Tractor Trailer Driver. Still worth looking into
https://corporate.publix.com/careers...-and-logistics

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida