Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 AM

25,919 posts, read 12,943,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
exactly beach it's all click bait....with the competition between the media..internet, etc...none of them are doing that great...and they know the more outrageous...the more people will click on it

...so it ends up being all click bait
Or, political propaganda. There's very little real news being reported, and vast amounts of newsworthy things NOT being reported. I read/listen to local news outlets like local newspapers and radio a lot more than National garbage. The local stuff is more accurate, less propoganised, and more pertinent to me.

How many read the article about the ex local politician suing Neal over political dirty deeds because she claimed Pat Neal wanted to get rif of her because she woudnt rubber stamp of of Neal's development plans?

Now, that story is real and ties in to a lot of what we talk about here on this forum about the environment, than AOC's crew arguing with Pelosi and the old guard, or Trump tweeting nasty stuff about the swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM

18,531 posts, read 8,347,977 times
100% correct...

They know their audience....some will click for confirmation bias, and not check for facts...
...and some will click to see what lies they are promoting this week

...it's a win win for the media and all these internet sites

now I'm going to find that thing about Neal...didn't know that....thanks!!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,875,121 times
Another one bites the dust. When are they going to put up warning signs on beaches???????????????

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...OixssSoTCMzNU8

Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,762,519 times
A little perspective...

http://www.floridahealth.gov/disease...cus/index.html

...and, as you read the number of cases per county, consider those numbers in light of the numbers of beach goers, fishermen, diver and snorkelers, etc.

Still, it feels like there has been an unusual increase this year. Could be an anomaly but could be a new normal. Either way, it’s statistically tiny.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,443,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
A little perspective...

Vibrio vulnificus | Florida Department of Health

...and, as you read the number of cases per county, consider those numbers in light of the numbers of beach goers, fishermen, diver and snorkelers, etc.

Still, it feels like there has been an unusual increase this year. Could be an anomaly but could be a new normal. Either way, it’s statistically tiny.
Wow the highets year was 50 cases.

Now look at CA, which you do not hear about:
How common is vibriosis?

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) receives reports of approximately 100 to 150 cases of vibriosis each year. Infections are more common in the summer and fall months.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...Vibriosis.aspx

The the US as a whole.

Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year.

https://www.cdc.gov/vibrio/index.html

Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 AM

It's a lot higher in Europe.....

wiki > "Necrotizing fasciitis occurs in about 0.4 people per 100,000 per year in the US, and about 1 per 100,000 in Western Europe"

CDC says the rate of infections is not increasing > "According to ABCs data, the number of annual group A strep necrotizing fasciitis infections reported to ABCs does not appear to be rising."

Old 07-12-2019, 11:26 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,852,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Another one bites the dust. When are they going to put up warning signs on beaches???????????????

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...OixssSoTCMzNU8
This is exactly the response folks in California began with that eventually screwed up their state with over regulation. WE DO NOT NEED THIS IN FLORIDA. What we need is people to get involve at a local level. Folks who are willing to do the "work' and quit "beaching" about everything.

I've been in Florida since the 70's. I'm an outdoorsman, certified diver, snorkeler, fisherman, boater, and have worked outside and near the water most of my life. I have a 1/2 acre pond behind my home that I swim in on a regular basis. My kids grew up doing the same thing.

All our limbs still attached.

Agriculture is the backbone of Florida. We do need better management withing certain interest (sugar) and dairy. However... Most ag interests are good stewards of the land.

https://www.deseretranches.com/

Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
This is exactly the response folks in California began with that eventually screwed up their state with over regulation. WE DO NOT NEED THIS IN FLORIDA. What we need is people to get involve at a local level. Folks who are willing to do the "work' and quit "beaching" about everything.

I've been in Florida since the 70's. I'm an outdoorsman, certified diver, snorkeler, fisherman, boater, and have worked outside and near the water most of my life. I have a 1/2 acre pond behind my home that I swim in on a regular basis. My kids grew up doing the same thing.

All our limbs still attached.

Agriculture is the backbone of Florida. We do need better management withing certain interest (sugar) and dairy. However... Most ag interests are good stewards of the land.

https://www.deseretranches.com/

I am a native Floridian and I also grew up in Florida in the 1970s and I can assure you that flesh-eating bacteria and toxic algae and springs drying up from over-pumping (thanks, Republicans) were not common in the 1970s.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:21 PM

LOL...that was 50 years ago....Florida's population was only ~6 1/2 million....it's almost 4 times more people now

Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Blue-green algae making its way around Tampa Bay again

https://www.wfla.com/dont-miss/blue-...UDMElKkXTFFSio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida