Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:34 AM

30,676 posts, read 21,551,826 times

Advertisements

Just the start to whats to come with a rapid warming planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 AM

14,987 posts, read 9,917,323 times
I discredit the emotion not the facts. Screaming me-me's don't help at meetings or postings. The author is a media person with outdoor experience but no personal or tacit understanding of the issues we deal with everyday. Essential he's aping talking points... and we have moved past that and onto the REAL substantive work at hand.

Is there something you want to discuss? Concerns? or input? or am I the subject of your inquiry?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM

487 posts, read 1,001,204 times
This situation has been coming on for years. Having an extreme anti-environment govenor (Scott) made it much worse, you reap what you sow. What's done is done so now what we need are solutions and fast. It's most likely going to be a costly fix (if it even can be fixed) but the alternative will be devastating to the state and much more costly in the long run.

Last edited by Barbara; 07-10-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 AM

5,033 posts, read 7,499,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I am actively involved in water issues for many years. Don't go off the deep end. Rivers Coalition | Save our River! Stop the Discharges!

A simple read for the emotionally involved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis
What is your education and area of expertise in water issues?

Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM

14,987 posts, read 9,917,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What is your education and area of expertise in water issues?
Well I am educated as a Marine Engineer (70's). I wound up working as a "certifier" on a contractor cable splicing barge for underwater power lines, finished my career in the Electric Utility Industry. Retired

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 AM

26,197 posts, read 13,162,340 times
We need to focus upon the source of all contaminants. We all know what those are.

I am for the reduction of agriculture, and mining, slowly over time Statewide to allow those industries to shift production to places that are not just a few feet over sea level. The topography of Florida isn't conducive to these industries. We need new laws and restrictions for this. We must elect more polititicans like Gov DeSantis who is willing to act, and not just talk and promise.

All government jurisdictions who control water needs to have spillover fields in case of sewer spills, or excessive rains. These spills winding up in rivers, bays, intercoastals, canals, and the Gulf must stop. Same with excessive rain runoff. The containment fields must have treatment plants, or other mitigation.

New septic tanks need to be outlawed. Old septic tanks need to be replaced with sewer systems, with a goal to elimimate all septice tanks from Florida in 30 years. We must force developers and government to install the proper infrastructure (sewer system w/ treatment plants) first. This is done at the ballot box, through donations, and by exposing, then fining, the culprits.

HOA's must loosen their regs on landscaping so more natural plants and materials can be used to reduce the need to nitrogen and constant irrigation. Residential and commercial pond testing should be mandatory & continuous.

For most of this to happen requires breaking the bond between corporations, and government. When these two powerful entities collude, the rest of us lose. That is a seperate topic, but that is the root cause for much of our water issues. In 1 word, it's mostly a density issue. If you allow me a few more words, campaign fianance & strict lobbying reform. The money flow must end.

Over the long term (say 30 years) Remove ag & mining, septic tanks, HOA rule revamps, and reduce density dramatically, and we might be able to beat this. The ratio of natural undeveloped land to over-developed land must change dramatically, and the developed land must not be allowed to adversely impact anything outside its own boundary's.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 07-12-2019 at 07:28 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM

18,766 posts, read 8,488,330 times
This is nothing new....only the hype
Flesh eating bacteria is the same bacteria that causes strep throat....and was first described in the 5th century BC

"In the fifth century BC, Hippocrates described necrotizing soft tissue infection as a disease which was the complication of streptococcal infection where those affected would have "erysipelas all over the body while the cause was only a trivial accident. Bones, flesh, and sinew (cord, tendon, or nerve) would fall off from the body and there were many deaths". The first English description for necrotizing soft-tissue infection was by British surgeon Leonard Gillespie and British physicians Gilbert Blaine and Thomas Trotter in the 18th century. At that time, necrotizing soft-tissue infection was known as phagedaenic ulcer (ulceration that spreads and destroys surrounding tissue), phagedena gangrenous, gangrenous ulcer, malignant ulcer, putrid ulcer, or hospital gangrene. Later, "hospital gangrene" became more commonly used. In 1871 Confederate States Army surgeon Joseph Jones reported 2,642 cases of hospital gangrene with a mortality rate of 46%. In 1883, Dr Jean-Alfred Fournier described the necrotizing infection of the perineum and *******, now called Fournier gangrene. The term "necrotizing fasciitis" was first coined by Wilson in 1952. Its definition has become broader, to include not only infection of fascia, but also other soft-tissue infection.[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM

26,197 posts, read 13,162,340 times
^^^^ this is why my Great Grandparents and Grandparents wouldnt go to the hospital wilingly. Due to the hospital infections back then, they'd rather take their chances at home.

The big diff is now we hear about every case of flesh eating bacteria cases in our area that causes harm, and sometimes we hear about the close calls. Fear sells advertising. Plus, the communication provided by the internet, and media outlets, is so much greater than before, we are just hearing a lot more about things....particularly scary things (fear sells).

We need to learn to filter, and recognize that much of what is happening in the natural World around us has played out many times before, but the information just wasn't proliferated ad nauseum back then. We also must know that the media is trying to sell advertising, that is why they exist. Scary bad news draws ears and eyeballs, so its just media marketing.

I dismiss most of what I see and hear in the media as hype. I trust you all a lot more, and learn a lot more here than I do from mainstream media. Last I recall, mainstream media had an approval/credibility rating of 16%, but that tidbit was provided by...mainstream media! It's probably more like 10%.

Filter, relax, carry on.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 07-12-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM

18,766 posts, read 8,488,330 times
exactly beach it's all click bait....with the competition between the media..internet, etc...none of them are doing that great...and they know the more outrageous...the more people will click on it

...so it ends up being all click bait

Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,443,898 times
Yep. One of my best friends works for the Army Corps. She’s been out in all kinds of water all over the world. All kinds of vicious stuff has always been in the water.

Our hiking group is quite large, and we regularly go tromping through all kinds of standing water, swamp muck, pond, creek etc. Nobody is freaking out. That crap has been in the water for years. Just be cautious with cuts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida