Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times

Advertisements

After delivering mail to many 55+ communities I know it wouldn’t be my first choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 05:37 AM

676 posts, read 721,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
The OP wants to move to another state, without family or friends in the new location. Being alone and moving to another state can be socially isolating. Moving to a 55+ community means a lot of her neighbors don't work and have a lot of free time to be noisy.

My sister and her husband moved to a 55+ community in Georgetown TX. Initially, my sister enjoyed learning and doing square dancing. But they got out after one or two years as they could not take it. Why does the OP believe moving by herself to a new state and not dating will solve her life issues?

Well everyone is different. My husband passed away 2 years ago. I had to chose between my north house and my condo here in Florida. I chose Florida because of the weather and activities. And yes I live in a 55 plus. I do not have family here. Hubbys family are here but are snowbirds.

I believe I made the right choice. The community I’m in has tons of activities. Nosy bodies?? Of course. But I’ve made some wonderful friends. I’m constantly busy and having a blast.

If I had chose to stay in my north house which was in the poconos, pa, I wouldn’t have been as socially active, especially the winters there.

So perhaps it would work for her

Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Well everyone is different. My husband passed away 2 years ago. I had to chose between my north house and my condo here in Florida. I chose Florida because of the weather and activities. And yes I live in a 55 plus. I do not have family here. Hubbys family are here but are snowbirds.

I believe I made the right choice. The community I’m in has tons of activities. Nosy bodies?? Of course. But I’ve made some wonderful friends. I’m constantly busy and having a blast.

If I had chose to stay in my north house which was in the poconos, pa, I wouldn’t have been as socially active, especially the winters there.

So perhaps it would work for her
Marble Cake, you already had a place in Florida, had been there and knew what to expect. You knew your neighbors, have friends, sometimes have relatives here and had a good idea of what your support networks would be here. You made an informed choice and apparently it has worked out well.

Moving to Florida for the OP will be a vastly different experience. I would suggest she ask snowbirds from her area where they go in Florida and try for a community where she will feel comfortable.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 7,633 times
Just to be clear, I was thinking of Florida because they offer many 55+ communities. I have three children, one of which lives in Florida in the Tampa area. My other two children live up north, but it is not set in stone where any of them will live. I have been widowed going on 8 years now. My life line is staying active and friendships. I thought a 55+ community would be a good answer. And it was also be a great place for my other two children to come visit. Just looking for ideas where a single would fit in as I'm sure there are many communities which are more geared toward couples. Being widowed is a big adjustment especially trying to figure out where you fit in. I believe my husband would applaud my efforts to find happiness somewhere.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 241,453 times
My husband and I have lived in an over-55 community for 12 years, since we retired. What we have found to be the difference between living in just a "house" and living in an active over-55 community is you are purchasing a "lifestyle". When I lived in Ohio, I could be home all day and never talk to a single person until my husband got home from work. I find in my current community, I am busy every day. There is so much to do. And my single widowed/divorced friends say the same thing. You can be as active or not active as you choose. Book Clubs, pickle ball, tennis, line dancing, cards, mah jongg, poker and all sorts of clubs. Loads of activities for singles.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresarose View Post
Just to be clear, I was thinking of Florida because they offer many 55+ communities. I have three children, one of which lives in Florida in the Tampa area. My other two children live up north, but it is not set in stone where any of them will live. I have been widowed going on 8 years now. My life line is staying active and friendships. I thought a 55+ community would be a good answer. And it was also be a great place for my other two children to come visit. Just looking for ideas where a single would fit in as I'm sure there are many communities which are more geared toward couples. Being widowed is a big adjustment especially trying to figure out where you fit in. I believe my husband would applaud my efforts to find happiness somewhere.
As a mortgage broker in Florida, I have clients all over Florida but mainly SE Florida but I've done a lot in the Orlando area.

One of my clients just got divorced last year and is lonely. She is checking out Solavita (Orlando area) and plans to stay there under their "stay and play" program for 3 nights/4 days. She really like what she saw.
She is mid 60's but looks much younger.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:29 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
the Valencia Lakes communities that I posted links for (near Tampa) have stay and play type programs as well....

Old 07-14-2019, 05:04 PM

60 posts, read 241,453 times
When we were looking, most of the over 55 communities had vacation get aways, where you could stay a few days and experience all the amenities.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 PM

201 posts, read 237,825 times
You might also want to consider Southshore Falls ... a 55 + gated Del Webb community in Apollo Beach which is about 30 min South of Tampa.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Plenty of 55+ For singles

We opted to avoid 55+ and enjoy all ages in our private community.

If you want to stay single you should not have an issue

If you get hit on, you are an adult and can handle it

No safe places in life. Meet it head on in your terms and enjoy.

We have more years behind us than ahead of us so go out there and live!

Good luck

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida